Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Finebaum - "The LSU passion for baseball is really unmatched anywhere in the SEC"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Not disagreeing. But based on what? Not sure there is a way to gauge that. Even if you say attendance, I'm as passionate a baseball fan as there is but didn't attend one game this year due to circumstances.
    Folks in Louisiana, Alabama and Kentucky who never attended those schools I mentioned seem to pull for those team sports and most have no knowledge of the players are Coach.

Look at Bama and all the flags and stickers on their cars and trucks. I can't say that about any other teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blacklistedbully View Post
    Chaps my hide ESPN refers to this moron as, "Mr. SEC". He's an asshat extraordinaire. It would not bother me one bit if we banned his ass from our campus.

Pencil-necked geek!
    That's because he works for ESPN so they're going to push him as much as possible (until he gets fired somewhere down the line, like they do everybody else).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Also- I think them being in a high A/AA size city with no other MLB minor league team for 75 miles helps their attendance a lot. What we do in Starkville in terms of attendance is pretty remarkable.
    And when you consider that until 20-25 years ago, Starkville only had two or three hotels so there was no place to stay when you went there, the attendance figures are even more astounding. Now they're doing much, much better in that regard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Some of you are mistaking success for passion. Lsu has had more success no doubt. And has more fans no doubt, on account of being the only game in town in a state 150% bigger than Mississippi.

I'm not sure which fan base is more passionate, but there is no discernible difference.
    Louisiana is only about 50% larger than Mississippi.

vCash
    It's not about who has won the most titles. It's all about having passion for the sport. To say no other SEC team can even match them for their passion for the game is idiotic, IMO. As Confucious correctly mentioned, it's about fans having a passion, irregardless of titles or trophies. The fact that LSU fans are passionate BECAUSE they started winning is beside the point. There is no fanbase in all of college baseball that is more passionate about their baseball program than MSU fans...period.

If you don't realize this, I simply don't know what to tell you, other than you are wrong, and mistaking "which program has had more success" instead of "which programs have at least as much passion.

LSU has an enrollment that is approximately 60% greater than ours, yet their average attendance is about 40% higher, Even more telling is the fact that LSU's official seating capacity is about 40% greater than ours. When it comes to regionals & supers, the NCAA only let's you count "turnstyle" attendance, so Alex Box is always going to show quite a bit more attendance than we do, as we have approximately 3,000 fewer seats to sell.

Bottom line, there is no fanbase more passionate about their baseball program than ours, yet Pawwwl made it sound like LSU has that hands down.
    Last edited by blacklistedbully; 06-27-2017 at 08:54 AM.

vCash
    Ya'll give ole Pawl too much credit by even getting worked up. He sold out a long time ago! Might as well put a mic in front of Yancy as they're about on the same level.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    Ya'll give ole Pawl too much credit by even getting worked up. He sold out a long time ago! Might as well put a mic in front of Yancy as they're about on the same level.
    +1.

Why watch that moron?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    I agree. Let LSU have their moment. I hope Florida ruins it. Let them actually have a heartbreaking loss for a change and we'll see how passionate they really are.

Based on my experience it's hyperbole for the most part.

vCash
    Say what?? You don't think our fans are very bit as passionate about baseball as theirs? We own 18 of the top 25 all-time on-campus attendance records in the NCAA. We have been passionate about baseball long before LSU got excited about it when they started winning under Skip.
    Tell it Black! You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to blacklistedbully again.

vCash
    I'll tell want's funny about this- a lot of LSU fans that I work with ask me about their team and didn't follow them at all until Omaha.

IMO I think we are every bit as passionate but we aren't as blindly slanted and are more "rational". They literally think and believe that good things should happen to them "because they are LSU". We talk about more why not whether that's lottery scholarships or players not coming back.

I think the interest in baseball for both programs is about the same to be honest.
    Hell Todd, let us win a couple of natty's and we'll have that LSU attitude! C'mon Man!

vCash
    I'd say they're about equal. I've never seen anything like our fans when we went to Omaha in 13. The whole stadium was maroon. LSU aint doing that

vCash
    Can't pull for O'Sullivan.

vCash
    I live in Starkville for 6 years and BR for the last 10. I mean to take nothing away from MSU, but Finebomb is right. Weighted by population, school size... MSU by a mile.

vCash
    Like Ive said before, we don't need to have anybody associated with MSU to be doing anymore interviews on his shit show. He goes out of his way to censure and discredit our sports programs and fanbase. It's not that he's just a media whore, he has a real beef, and acts like we're just here to complete everyone else's schedule.

vCash
    Chaps my hide ESPN refers to this moron as, "Mr. SEC". He's an asshat extraordinaire. It would not bother me one bit if we banned his ass from our campus.

Pencil-necked geek!
    Lol, that last line describes him perfectly

vCash
    Looks like Papierski's Dad has replaced Kramer's mom. Haa. Baton Rouge North, my ass. Was Ravy not at TD AM in 2013??

vCash
    I'll tell want's funny about this- a lot of LSU fans that I work with ask me about their team and didn't follow them at all until Omaha.

IMO I think we are every bit as passionate but we aren't as blindly slanted and are more "rational". They literally think and believe that good things should happen to them "because they are LSU". We talk about more why not whether that's lottery scholarships or players not coming back.

I think the interest in baseball for both programs is about the same to be honest.
    Pretty easy to be passionate with the success they've had. Kind of like Bama fans over the past 10 years of Saban. I would say we ARE more passionate because we care about baseball just as much even though we don't own a national title and have only played for one and only have one SEC title since 1989. If we had half the national success that they've had we would probably have 15K+ crowds EVERY weekend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Louisiana is only about 50% larger than Mississippi.
    I meant 150% the population of Mississippi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Hell Todd, let us win a couple of natty's and we'll have that LSU attitude! C'mon Man!
    I think the attitudes for both schools came from Polk and Bertman. Bertman was more about winning at all costs. Polk was more about being classy and having a good college experience. LSU probably had the same attitude before 1991. I think we need to do a little bit better as a fanbase of encouraging our juniors to come back for their senior year is really all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Pretty easy to be passionate with the success they've had. Kind of like Bama fans over the past 10 years of Saban. I would say we ARE more passionate because we care about baseball just as much even though we don't own a national title and have only played for one and only have one SEC title since 1989. If we had half the national success that they've had we would probably have 15K+ crowds EVERY weekend.
    Absolutely. If we have a NC or two we would pass them as a fanbase probably pretty easily. I have a feeling that some of the crowd they get in Omaha are locals from Nebraska that just "like LSU" and they want a team to pull for since Nebraska is rarely in it. So they go with the guys that give them alcohol and crawfish.

I thought it was interesting that they have to have season tickets "willed" to get them. Which means that they likely have some kind of a system in place to get people who aren't season ticket holders on gameday. MSU needs to explore that system.