Let's look back at the CWS finals going back to 2013.

2013- MSU and UCLA. End of the dead ball era.
2014- Vanderbilt and Virginia. SEC team with scouting ties wins the NC.
2015- Vanderbilt and Virginia. SEC team with scouting ties finishes as the National runner-up.
2016- Coastal Carolina and Arizona. Exception to the rule mid major wins NC. Insert "that's baseball" or whatever quote you want to use.
2017- LSU and Florida. Two SEC teams with scouting or very recent former scouting ties in the finals.

Since 2014 the three teams with scouting ties have made it to Omaha:

Vanderbilt- twice
LSU- twice
Florida- three times

This doesn't include three other times that Florida went to Omaha under O'Sullivan and one other time with Corbin. I didn't include Manieri's CWS appearances before 2014 because that was before he hired Cann and had acquired MLB scouting ties.

It took Corbin a while to build Vanderbilt into a powerhouse. A lot of that is because Vanderbilt did not have a winning tradition before Corbin came along plus they do not have a huge fanbase to support them. Vanderbilt was also in the worst shape of the programs I am comparing.

O?Sullivan took over a program that missed the postseason but he is in a very talent rich state and with his assistants scouting ties they were able to rebuild themselves up very quickly. Florida also has a history of winning in baseball as well.

Manieri was starting to get on the hot seat and his offense was struggling when he brought in Cannizaro. Obviously they were in a good situation relatively speaking even if they weren?t quite where they wanted to be. Cannizaro took their hitting to the next level and was able to increase LSU?s recruiting profile to get them back to where they wanted to be before deciding to move on and launch a new dynasty at Mississippi State.

Cannizaro already has us at Super Regional level in year one. We will see what happens in year two but with a roster that is still not his for the most part and stadium construction going on I will be fine with a Super Regional again in 2018. We have now hired Jake Gautreau and we will see what he brings to our program with his connections and also his ability to evaluate talent. By 2019 I think Cann will have weeded out our problems- no pun intended- and we will have a CWS type team to go along with our new stadium.