Quote Originally Posted by TXDawg View Post
Speaking of team talent level...

As I've been casually watching the CWS, the one phrase I keep hearing repeated (especially as it relates to LSU) is that these CWS teams have "shortstops all over the field". The context of this statement is something to the effect that the teams in the CWS recruited the best athletes they could find (most of whom played SS in high school or select ball) and fit them in the line-up where they had needs.

I obviously haven't done the research to determine whether this is an accurate assessment by the CWS talking heads, but it does bring up an interesting discussion topic. If true, it seems to indicate that the "secret formula" in this era of college baseball is to sign the best talent out there regardless of position then find a way to get them on the field. If that's the case, I think we have a winner with Cann because he can obviously find talent. Not to mention that all of his players (current and former) seem to love playing for him which should help in the recruiting department (signing the talent he finds).
SS's are usually the best players on their high school teams BUT you also have to remember that if a player is LH he is not going to play SS. I think P/C/sometimes 1B if a player is left handed/SS/and CF are usually the positions that the "better" players play at in no particular order. Sometimes you'll see a guy like Austin Riley playing third base in HS as well. Dual position guys in high school are usually an indicator of a talented player as well like Mason Robbins or Austin Riley. I've also seen a few guys play on loaded teams like Desoto Central had in the past where they actually could play someone at a position other than SS but that's not common.

I also think that pitchers are evaluated totally differently than hitters too.