Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great read on MLB and college baseball potential changes

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash

Great read on MLB and college baseball potential changes

In regards to the draft. MLB combine, 25 rounds instead of 40, etc. some interesting stuff.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/colum...ack/?amphtml=1

vCash
    He's dead on about MLB and the NCAA working together benefit both. I think the draft should be college juniors only. Most high school players need to go to college anyway. And the studies show that college players are more likely to make it to MLB.

vCash
    I like the idea of moving the draft and the combine idea as well.. I never have understood why they haven't changed the draft.

vCash
    The only thing that concerns me about moving the draft to the All-Star break is the deadline would obviously have to be moved back to almost August.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    He's dead on about MLB and the NCAA working together benefit both. I think the draft should be college juniors only. Most high school players need to go to college anyway. And the studies show that college players are more likely to make it to MLB.
    No way will they ever force a player to play 3 years of college, and they shouldn't. Tons of top players came straight out of HS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    No way will they ever force a player to play 3 years of college, and they shouldn't. Tons of top players came straight out of HS.
    Esp when you can't even get a full scholarship.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Esp when you can't even get a full scholarship.
    The scholarship situation really needs to change. I never understood that and don't really understand how Title IX really comes into play there. Sounds more like bullshit to me.

vCash
    If the NFL has no problem doing it and even the NBA has no problem doing it for at least their freshman year then MLB should have no problem with it. It's their product.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    The scholarship situation really needs to change. I never understood that and don't really understand how Title IX really comes into play there. Sounds more like bullshit to me.
    Yes. Each team should have at least 20-25 scholarships.

Senior Member Intramural All-American's Avatar
    vCash
    If the NFL has no problem doing it and even the NBA has no problem doing it for at least their freshman year then MLB should have no problem with it. It's their product.
    Huge difference there. Players drafted into the NFL and NBA play in the NFL and NBA the next year. When you are drafted into the MLB, it's an average of 4 years to make it to the bigs, assuming you ever even make it there. Completely different situations.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Intramural All-American View Post
    Huge difference there. Players drafted into the NFL and NBA play in the NFL and NBA the next year. When you are drafted into the MLB, it's an average of 4 years to make it to the bigs, assuming you ever even make it there. Completely different situations.
    There's also a size/injury concern with drafting football players too early before they are physically mature enough to take NFL hits that baseball doesn't have to deal with.

vCash
    Dumb article.

Would destroy short season baseball leagues like the Pioneer League and the NY/Penn League.

Additionally, it would force scouts to work on two classes at the same time.

Manuel didn't think the article through.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    This

Also, development for baseball is different than other sports. Takes far more time.

vCash
    And the studies show that college players are more likely to make it to MLB.
    Ehhhh. Depends on how you do the study.

Far more all stars and hall of gamers were drafted out of high school and, since so many more college players are drafted than high school guys, it's stands to reason that more would make the big leagues. It's far better per capita for high school players though.

vCash
    Been over this. I'm a college guy all the way. But more collegians get drafted/sign. Yeah more make it. More sign. Ain't hard to figure. Some are made for college. Some aren't. Just keep it like it is as far as eligibility goes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Intramural All-American View Post
    And yet- both leagues have tried to start developmental minor leagues like MLB has and if actually successful I don't think either one would start taking high school players. To me, just because MLB has a developed minor league system doesn't mean that signing guys out of high school is the best idea for them.

If MLB is actually thinking about doing a combine that would tell me that they are trying to steer even more guys to college as it is because the whole point would be to tell those that participate where they stand in the draft.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Dumb article.

Would destroy short season baseball leagues like the Pioneer League and the NY/Penn League.

Additionally, it would force scouts to work on two classes at the same time.

Manuel didn't think the article through.
    Why not do away with the Florida Gulf Coast League and the Arizona League? Does anyone besides scouts and the team personnel ever attend those games anyway? It seems like it's mostly high school guys and Dominican prospects- and the American high school guys would be in college.

But is this a speculation gee life would be nice article or is this a "something that MLB is considering" article? It sounds to me like something MLB is considering the way he wrote it. I mean they could have the draft Tues, Weds, Thurs. before the SR and it wouldn't conflict with any college baseball games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Ehhhh. Depends on how you do the study.

Far more all stars and hall of gamers were drafted out of high school and, since so many more college players are drafted than high school guys, it's stands to reason that more would make the big leagues. It's far better per capita for high school players though.
    A lot of those HOF guys played and lived in the 1800's and lived in eras where college baseball was just another option along with semi-pro ball and whatever else and wherever else scouts could find you. I think Babe Ruth was found at an orphanage.

I think more guys are pushed to college probably because the system has improved and scouting may be better than it was in years past so they have a better idea of who should go where and that sort of thing. Maybe Perfect Game has helped with that because now everyone is for the most part funneled into one place rather than spread out all of the world literally.

vCash
    I think the draft should be college juniors only.
    Sorry, but this is a ridiculous take.

Senior Member Intramural All-American's Avatar
    vCash
    And yet- both leagues have tried to start developmental minor leagues like MLB has and if actually successful I don't think either one would start taking high school players. To me, just because MLB has a developed minor league system doesn't mean that signing guys out of high school is the best idea for them.

If MLB is actually thinking about doing a combine that would tell me that they are trying to steer even more guys to college as it is because the whole point would be to tell those that participate where they stand in the draft.
    Man, it's not even close to the same thing. You are just wrong on this one. Those developmental leagues you are talking about are for fringe players that most will never be quality players in their leagues. The top players will never see those leagues. However, every single player drafted in MLB will play in the minors. Most will be there at least 4 years before making it up.

Also a 6 team football league is in no way, shape, or form similar to a 6-tiered minor league system.

You're also talking about players not actually getting paid real money in salary until they are 25-26 years old whereas in NBA players make real money at 19 and in NFL at 21-22. As I said, it's a completely different situation.