Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ya'll hearing anything about several guys being removed from the baseball team??

vCash

ya'll hearing anything about several guys being removed from the baseball team??

like a half-dozen players or so?
    my cowbell is louder than yours

vCash
    I have not, but we've got some dead weight. Even some of the guys who played this year aren't SEC caliber players
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    The only new name I've heard is Plumlee.

And that is rumor. So take it for what it's worth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    The only new name I've heard is Plumlee.

And that is rumor. So take it for what it's worth.
    check your pm
    my cowbell is louder than yours

vCash
    Cann doing work....:

vCash
    I was told that they all were told that all spots are open and that no ones roster spot is guaranteed. That came from an outfielders parent.

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    Discipline? Told to transfer?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HereComesTheSpiral View Post
    Discipline? Told to transfer?
    Read the post above.

vCash
    I hate it for the guys, but that's how it works and they all know it. It's a risk/reward situation.

vCash
    Tanner Poole, Luke Alexander, and Brant Blaylock are great in the field....almost automatic outs with the bats.

Bragg and Gordon are not consistent enough in any aspect of their game to be considered safe.

None of the pitchers that walked more than 3 batters per nine innings should be retained.

Stovall and Mangum are gold, IMO. So are Vansau and Macnamee.

vCash
    Don't blame Cannizaro for managing resources, but didn't the same thing allegedly factor into the Alabama coach's firing? Rumor has it that he was misappropriating funds which was the real reason for getting rid of him, but supposedly it's against the rules to not renew scholarships beause of non-performance ... which seems inappropriate to me. If they're not getting the job done, remove their scholarship.

Anyway ... that's a pretty good percentage of the entire team ... maybe 25%? That'd be like removing 20 FB scholarships.

Thought Plumlee did a good job toward the end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    Tanner Poole, Luke Alexander, and Brant Blaylock are great in the field....almost automatic outs with the bats.

Bragg and Gordon are not consistent enough in any aspect of their game to be considered safe.

None of the pitchers that walked more than 3 batters per nine innings should be retained.

Stovall and Mangum are gold, IMO. So are Vansau and Macnamee.
    I can't remember who played 3rd last year, but wasn't half the people on the board wanting Alexander to hurry up and get over his injury to come back and replace that guy? And this year he's back and has been criticized heavily. Or am I thinking of somebody else?

vCash
    Does turnover affect you in college baseball like college basketball?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    I can't remember who played 3rd last year, but wasn't half the people on the board wanting Alexander to hurry up and get over his injury to come back and replace that guy? And this year he's back and has been criticized heavily. Or am I thinking of somebody else?
    It was Collins most of the time and if anyone was wanting LA over Collins they should be banned from
    Posting about baseball

vCash
    Don't blame Cannizaro for managing resources, but didn't the same thing allegedly factor into the Alabama coach's firing? Rumor has it that he was misappropriating funds which was the real reason for getting rid of him, but supposedly it's against the rules to not renew scholarships beause of non-performance ... which seems inappropriate to me. If they're not getting the job done, remove their scholarship.

Anyway ... that's a pretty good percentage of the entire team ... maybe 25%? That'd be like removing 20 FB scholarships.

I don't think he can revoke schollies but he can let guys know they might not see the field.

vCash

Rocket that is a NCAA rule. But if you tell a player he's going to see the pine bench for the rest of his career he will probably transfer. I mean 11.7 schollies between 35 players, each player is not getting enough help (except other type of schollies found). Canny is obviously rebuilding everything from coaching staff to the team. Get ready guys, we are fixing to be in a whirlwind of new things, good or bad, let's all stand strong for the Dawgs!
    P.S. Rocket, I think that is the South Carolina coach that you are referring to.

vCash

Well, technically you can cut players but it has to be done in a passive aggressive way. Most coaches will tell a player something to the effect of, "you can still be on the team but to be up front with you you're not going to play and we're not going to be able to put you on the SEC roster." The hope is that the player will then get the message and make the decision to leave on their own. Most baseball players do want to be somewhere they can at least play. What Alabama's coach allegedly did was come out in public- or at least the clubhouse and pretty much told guys that they weren't going to be back.

And with the scholarships- if a player cuts themselves that is technically not taking their scholarship because of performance. Even though it really is. In a passive aggressive way again.

Scholarships with baseball are so different than any other spot. A lot of them are receiving a good bit of academic or grant money so they're only getting 25% in a lot of cases. So, I guess if you take away their athletic scholarship they still are going to have anywhere between 0-75% of their school still paid for. I suppose it just depends on the player but no question you don't want to overspend scholarship money a player that isn't producing very much.

vCash
    We've sent 3 packing already- hadnt heard about a few more. Good. Cann is upgrading the roster.

Cann is a better recruiter and coach than Cohen. The next few years are going to be exciting

vCash
    Where did the 11.7 scholarship limitation come from? Is that the resultant number from adding all the men's sports and having to balance with women's? Did baseball have more than that before Title IX? I remember some years ago going to an alumni meeting here and Polk spoke, and complained vehemently about that number, blaming it on women's sports. And I pretty much agreed with him.

Seems like if it's just a balancing act, they could cut scholarships from other less important sports.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    It was Collins most of the time and if anyone was wanting LA over Collins they should be banned from
    Posting about baseball
    That's the way I remember it from last year. Couldv'e been somebody besides Alexander, but I don't think so. It was based primarily on Collins' tendency to making fielding errors. But I suppose it's a case of the grass is always greener on the other side ... you don't like what you have at the moment.