Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ya'll hearing anything about several guys being removed from the baseball team??

vCash
    This is normal, let the process happen. Cann got a SR with a destroyed team, next season the team is still destroyed but with many new and talented freshmen and dependable sophomores

Given that he won't have home games for a while, 2018 is a another rough ride.

2019, it's all Cannizzaro players and TJs will all be producing or playing in the SoCon. 2019 and 2020 is our year, but Cann might be 0-8 against LSU by then

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Chucklelips View Post
    My question has to do with replacing them. It's pretty late in the game as far as finding replacements to come in August and go through fall and then get ready for next spring isn't it?? We're in June now, going on July. Are there 6 replacements out their with more ability than those 6? You do want guys with "more" ability, not just equal. If you come out equal, you may as way have stayed where you were.

Can anybody answer this?
    That's where I'm coming from. Who is really available at this point?

How are you going to upgrade talent level AND end up with guys who are the type of player you want?
    Last edited by bulldogcountry1; 06-23-2017 at 09:31 PM.

vCash
    It may not have been our choice on some of these departures

vCash
    The Mitchell Miller Question:

MM was a PG-10 recruit in 2016 that we released to Clemson because he did not want be at MSU after signing day...wonder if Cann is expecting many non-signees to actually show up on campus.

Seriously - Miller, Coffers, Goldwater, and Whitman all signed in 2016 and all are somewhere else without ever playing or practicing for us. All these dudes are probably dead weight to an SEC team - except maybe Miller

The point is - expect some volatility in the behavior of signees flocking to MSUs void of upper classmen pitchers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Don't blame Cannizaro for managing resources, but didn't the same thing allegedly factor into the Alabama coach's firing? Rumor has it that he was misappropriating funds which was the real reason for getting rid of him, but supposedly it's against the rules to not renew scholarships beause of non-performance ... which seems inappropriate to me. If they're not getting the job done, remove their scholarship.

Anyway ... that's a pretty good percentage of the entire team ... maybe 25%? That'd be like removing 20 FB scholarships.

Thought Plumlee did a good job toward the end.
    Damn shame some one lose their one half book scholarship.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    I don't think some ****ers on here have a grasp of what we now have leading our baseball program. So the speculation coming from said ****ers should be flushed down the toilet along with them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    I don't think some ****ers on here have a grasp of what we now have leading our baseball program. So the speculation coming from said ****ers should be flushed down the toilet along with them.
    Not a coach in the country I would rather play for than Cann.

vCash
    Plumlee is the one that makes no sense to me.

Plumlee...
    4.01 era 1.38 whip 8.64 h/9 3.77 bb/9 6.57 k/9

France...
    3.84 era 1.35 whip 9.38 h/9 2.81 bb/9 6.84 k/9

Their stats are basically the same and plumlee did it vs better competition while adjusting from juco.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Plumlee is the one that makes no sense to me.

Plumlee...
    4.01 era 1.38 whip 8.64 h/9 3.77 bb/9 6.57 k/9

France...
    3.84 era 1.35 whip 9.38 h/9 2.81 bb/9 6.84 k/9

Their stats are basically the same and plumlee did it vs better competition while adjusting from juco.
    I don't think Plumlee was let go to make room for France. At any rate, France was statistically Tulane's best starter and had an ERA of 5 something at one point during the season when Tulane was struggling and got it down to the three's. France had more quality starts than Plumlee and I'm pretty sure France allowed fewer grand slams without looking than Plumlee. Relief pitchers tend to have lower ERA's and higher K rates than starting pitchers. That's why no one compares Mariano Rivera to Randy Johnson. And yet Plumlee has worse stats across the board than France.

France has a good chance to start for us and probably will. Plumlee does not. Tulane's pitching staff ERA's look like ours when Russ McNickle was the pitching coach- and France had the best stats on the team. Someone like Gary Henderson will get him back on track.

France was also offered money to sign out of high school. I don't believe Plumlee was.

And who knows? Maybe Cann told Plumlee that he would have to be a bullpen guy because he was better there and Plumlee wanted to start and left because of that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    The Mitchell Miller Question:

MM was a PG-10 recruit in 2016 that we released to Clemson because he did not want be at MSU after signing day...wonder if Cann is expecting many non-signees to actually show up on campus.

Seriously - Miller, Coffers, Goldwater, and Whitman all signed in 2016 and all are somewhere else without ever playing or practicing for us. All these dudes are probably dead weight to an SEC team - except maybe Miller

The point is - expect some volatility in the behavior of signees flocking to MSUs void of upper classmen pitchers.
    Whitman is pitching for Auburn I think? To me, and I usually don't say this too much- but what Miller did to us was pretty shitty. You stay committed and apparently the whole time you're trying to leverage a scholarship from Clemson. Which is fine- but if you're going to do that go ahead and de-commit in May so that whatever school you are committed to can give someone else that scholarship. Don't wait until August when it's time to report to do it.

Coffers had some family issues in Florida if I remember correctly and that was why he bailed on us.

Goldwater was here in the fall and struggled so I'm pretty sure he would not have contributed much if anything.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I don't think Plumlee was let go to make room for France. At any rate, France was statistically Tulane's best starter and had an ERA of 5 something at one point during the season when Tulane was struggling and got it down to the three's. France had more quality starts than Plumlee and I'm pretty sure France allowed fewer grand slams without looking than Plumlee. Relief pitchers tend to have lower ERA's and higher K rates than starting pitchers. That's why no one compares Mariano Rivera to Randy Johnson. And yet Plumlee has worse stats across the board than France.

France has a good chance to start for us and probably will. Plumlee does not. Tulane's pitching staff ERA's look like ours when Russ McNickle was the pitching coach- and France had the best stats on the team. Someone like Gary Henderson will get him back on track.

France was also offered money to sign out of high school. I don't believe Plumlee was.

And who knows? Maybe Cann told Plumlee that he would have to be a bullpen guy because he was better there and Plumlee wanted to start and left because of that.
    I'm not saying I choose plumlee over France. I want both. Plumlee wasn't always a reliever... he had 8 starts to france's 15. Plumlee was very good early in the year till the sec roughed him up some. I would've really liked having these 2 battle it out for Sunday starter with the other perhaps being midweek guy.

I think you could be on to something with plumlee being told he's a reliever. If so, I'd rather have given him chance to win a spot. Oh well...

Not sure what France being offered money out of HS means though when he wasn't drafted earlier this month.

vCash
    Yep. And people need to understand that guys like Plumlee and Jolly were only playing because of massive injuries to our pitching staff and would not have normally been carrying the workload that they did for us. With everyone getting healthy their playing time was going to diminish.

And one thing I've noticed is a lot of these guys were JUCO guys. Which tells me that we're shifting away from relying on JUCO's so heavily.

vCash
    There was a D1 pod cast with Cann that provides a glimpse into the type of players Cann wants to have. Key word is "make up". We use the term "mental midget" on this board. The "midgets" can't play for Cann.

Also, if your coach is a workout warrior ... he wants that type of player too. Cann probably reviewed with the strength coach about who is committed and who is not.

Basically our coach is Leonidas from the 300

vCash
    Has there been any word on the TJ boys? With massive turnover with the guys who played, gotta figure there will be turnover on the TJ crew also

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogcountry1 View Post
    That's where I'm coming from. Who is really available at this point?

How are you going to upgrade talent level AND end up with guys who are the type of player you want?
    Their scholarships are probably going to be used at least some with the guys we are bringing in 2018 if I had to guess. That's where we are going to add the talent in at.

Here's the reality with our pitching staff:

Rotation candidates- Pilkington (lock), Ashcraft, McQuary, France, Billingsley, and maybe Cole Gordon. Obviously the guys that make it will be moved to the bullpen and Gordon may be much better there anyway.

Primary bullpen guys- Price, Self, Leibelt, Barlow, and Blake Smith. Probably Cole Marsh and Chad Bryant as well. And then as I said you have the guys who don't get spots added to the bullpen. Plus the Tommy John guys that are healthy.

So as you see that's how a guy like a Plumlee or a Jolly who pitched a lot gets pushed down. Rigby is leaving because he is not getting along with Henderson. I think he's a good pitcher and he could help us but I think the odds are high that there could be problems if he feels strongly about Henderson and can't patch things up. Mahoney has been hurt from Tommy John and it doesn't look like he will recover from it. Cann has had issues with Bragg's practice habits for awhile so if he leaves it would shock no one. Blaylock per rumor has an arm injury. I'm not sure what his long range plan is since he still has a JUCO option if he wants to take it and maybe be a DH for a year with Northwest CC or someone like that and then return or if he's just gone which is likely the case.

vCash
    I'm not saying I choose plumlee over France. I want both. Plumlee wasn't always a reliever... he had 8 starts to france's 15. Plumlee was very good early in the year till the sec roughed him up some. I would've really liked having these 2 battle it out for Sunday starter with the other perhaps being midweek guy.

I think you could be on to something with plumlee being told he's a reliever. If so, I'd rather have given him chance to win a spot. Oh well...

Not sure what France being offered money out of HS means though when he wasn't drafted earlier this month.
    Exactly. And France has a history of beating people like LSU and USM as a starter.

If we don't think Plumlee has a chance to start, it would be doing both MSU and Plumlee a disservice. Now we can use his scholarship if he had one and now Plumlee can go wherever and have a legit chance to start.

vCash
    Has there been any word on the TJ boys? With massive turnover with the guys who played, gotta figure there will be turnover on the TJ crew also
    Hughes has started to pitch in the Summer League ball and has struggled like Ford has at a similar point in the recovery process. That's not surprising or discouraging to me. Cann is going to be more patient with them than someone like Trey Jolly. A lot of those guys have higher ceilings and could help us out big time in 2019 if we allow them to recover. We'll only cut them if they either choose to leave on their own or if they get to the end point of the recovery process and look like Andrew Mahoney did.

Next season is the recovery year for most of the Tommy John guys- and expecting major contributions from them for 2018 is not very realistic at this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    There was a D1 pod cast with Cann that provides a glimpse into the type of players Cann wants to have. Key word is "make up". We use the term "mental midget" on this board. The "midgets" can't play for Cann.

Also, if your coach is a workout warrior ... he wants that type of player too. Cann probably reviewed with the strength coach about who is committed and who is not.

Basically our coach is Leonidas from the 300
    Here's the thing that sometimes gets forgotten:

Our guys didn't have a chance to go through an entire offseason workout program with Cann. I know we did do some Navy SEAL type stuff after he was hired. That's probably a preview of what's to come for our guys.

Cann said that he didn't mess with our players swings too much because of the timing from when he came in. That gives me some encouragement that we may see a jump with guys like LA and Poole. And that others like Stovall and Mangum may take their game to the next level.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Their scholarships are probably going to be used at least some with the guys we are bringing in 2018 if I had to guess. That's where we are going to add the talent in at.

Here's the reality with our pitching staff:

Rotation candidates- Pilkington (lock), Ashcraft, McQuary, France, Billingsley, and maybe Cole Gordon. Obviously the guys that make it will be moved to the bullpen and Gordon may be much better there anyway.

Primary bullpen guys- Price, Self, Leibelt, Barlow, and Blake Smith. Probably Cole Marsh and Chad Bryant as well. And then as I said you have the guys who don't get spots added to the bullpen. Plus the Tommy John guys that are healthy.

So as you see that's how a guy like a Plumlee or a Jolly who pitched a lot gets pushed down. Rigby is leaving because he is not getting along with Henderson. I think he's a good pitcher and he could help us but I think the odds are high that there could be problems if he feels strongly about Henderson and can't patch things up. Mahoney has been hurt from Tommy John and it doesn't look like he will recover from it. Cann has had issues with Bragg's practice habits for awhile so if he leaves it would shock no one. Blaylock per rumor has an arm injury. I'm not sure what his long range plan is since he still has a JUCO option if he wants to take it and maybe be a DH for a year with Northwest CC or someone like that and then return or if he's just gone which is likely the case.
    I definetely like pilk (obviously), McQ, and ashcraft's stuff better than plumlee's. I think plumlee and France are probably pretty equal. I think billingsley becomes a reliever and a pretty dang good one. I think Cole will be a reliever.

Assuming they all make a big jump this summer and fall, I'd like...

Friday -- pilk
    Sat -- Ashcraft
    Sunday/midweek -- McQ/France

I think Barlow, billingsley, price, smith, and self give us a damn good pen. Really hope small can give us another lh reliever with big time velocity

If we go anywhere next season, I think it's on the pitching staff's back and I think that back has a chance to be really strong
    Last edited by msstate7; 06-24-2017 at 01:14 AM.

vCash
    I definetely like pilk (obviously), McQ, and ashcraft's stuff better than plumlee's. I think plumlee and France are probably pretty equal. I think billingsley becomes a reliever and a pretty dang good one. I think Cole will be a reliever.

Assuming they all make a big jump this summer and fall, I'd like...

Friday -- pilk
    Sat -- Ashcraft
    Sunday/midweek -- McQ/France

I think Barlow, billingsley, price, smith, and self give us a damn good pen. Really hope small can give us another lh reliever with big time velocity

If we go anywhere next season, I think it's on the pitching staff's back and I think that back has a chance to be really strong
    France is better than Plumlee. He would have been our number two guy this year and would have helped us out a lot. I think Billingsley ends up starting. He finished the year strong aside from the SR and playing in the Cape should help him. I just hope Ashcraft and McQuary progress enough to move guys back.

I think we're going to rely on some freshmen on offense and we see how that went with Ole Miss. Although I think our hitters are better than theirs relative to each other. We'll miss Rooker and Cody Brown a lot obviously. We don't have any seniors and that's a problem too.

I've heard that we have 24 home games as of now- and that doesn't include the Shriner's Classic Games in Houston, the two in Pearl that we play every year and if I had to make an educated guess, we're probably playing at least one game in Biloxi next year. That should help make our schedule be a little bit better. I hope someone in our AD that does scheduling has enough sense to schedule a couple more games in Pearl and Biloxi next year so that we don't have as many true road games.