Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ya'll hearing anything about several guys being removed from the baseball team??

vCash
    Is Rigby still leaving?

vCash

I'm pretty sure one of those not coming back is Rigby. It's weird because he's

going to be a senior but apparently he's transferring, or so that's the word. Rigby's Dad and the coaches don't geehaw.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    My guy tells me Coggin won't be back.

vCash
    Plumlee, K-lock, Bragg, Jolly, Ford, and Mahoney are done

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Where did the 11.7 scholarship limitation come from? Is that the resultant number from adding all the men's sports and having to balance with women's? Did baseball have more than that before Title IX? I remember some years ago going to an alumni meeting here and Polk spoke, and complained vehemently about that number, blaming it on women's sports. And I pretty much agreed with him.

Seems like if it's just a balancing act, they could cut scholarships from other less important sports.
    The NCAA voted back in 1991 to reduce all scholarships across all sports as a cost reduction measure. Baseball was trimmed from 13 to 11.7, football had a phase in to 85, and basketball from 15 to 13. Also the number of baseball games scheduled went from a maximum of 70 to 56. Title IX screwed up a lot of things but this wasn't one of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcNulty View Post
    Plumlee, K-lock, Bragg, Jolly, Ford, and Mahoney are done
    Close to the same list I got
    my cowbell is louder than yours

vCash

Plumlee pitched pretty well down the stretch so you have to wonder what the deal

is with him. I think Blaylock and Bragg would've been good in due time. The rest are very much expendable.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    is with him. I think Blaylock and Bragg would've been good in due time. The rest are very much expendable.
    Plumlee is really surprising to me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    All 3 aren't very talented. If you want to build your roster to look like the CWS teams, you can't have dead weight.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    All 3 aren't very talented. If you want to build your roster to look like the CWS teams, you can't have dead weight.
    Define talented. If talented is getting drafted, then we just took a pitcher from Tulane that wasn't drafted. I don't think MiLB level talent is necessary at all the positions to win in college baseball. Look at Cody brown this year

vCash
    Who is k-lock?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Who is k-lock?
    Blaylock

K (strike out)-lock

Creative

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Blaylock

K (strike out)-lock

Creative
    Not Koole

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Not Koole
    Or luKe

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TaleofTwoDogs View Post
    The NCAA voted back in 1991 to reduce all scholarships across all sports as a cost reduction measure. Baseball was trimmed from 13 to 11.7, football had a phase in to 85, and basketball from 15 to 13. Also the number of baseball games scheduled went from a maximum of 70 to 56. Title IX screwed up a lot of things but this wasn't one of them.
    Title IX still plays a part though because it was responsible for the original number both before 1991 and now having to be balanced. Even if you went back to 13, that is still WAY too low. How can you justify enough scholarships to be 4-deep at every position in football with scholarship players, 2-3 deep at every position in basketball, but not even 1-deep in baseball...especially when you consider needing 5 starting pitchers plus 5-6 relievers? If everything was proportional, baseball would have an absolute minimum of 18 scholarships, and realistically the fair thing would be 20-21 scholarships.

vCash
    We were already looking at 16-18 returning healthy players. Factor in all these, and it's closer to 10.

I'm excited about Cann and his recruiting skills, but filling a roster with SEC-worthy players after this and after the draft put a hurting on us is going to be interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogcountry1 View Post
    We were already looking at 16-18 returning healthy players. Factor in all these, and it's closer to 10.

I'm excited about Cann and his recruiting skills, but filling a roster with SEC-worthy players after this and after the draft put a hurting on us is going to be interesting.
    Interesting yes, as far as hurting, pretty sure Cann has a plan.

I think a couple more who played want make the cut next fall. Out with old and in with the new!

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    My question has to do with replacing them. It's pretty late in the game as far as finding replacements to come in August and go through fall and then get ready for next spring isn't it?? We're in June now, going on July. Are there 6 replacements out their with more ability than those 6? You do want guys with "more" ability, not just equal. If you come out equal, you may as way have stayed where you were.

Can anybody answer this?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Chucklelips View Post
    My question has to do with replacing them. It's pretty late in the game as far as finding replacements to come in August and go through fall and then get ready for next spring isn't it?? We're in June now, going on July. Are there 6 replacements out their with more ability than those 6? You do want guys with "more" ability, not just equal. If you come out equal, you may as way have stayed where you were.

Can anybody answer this?
    If you get equal from the juco ranks, you really got less bc they'll have less sec experience.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JDog13 View Post
    My guy tells me Coggin won't be back.
    He was let go last week.