Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Team Notes from Today's Boneyard

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Gray vs lsu '16 = 3 rec 86 yds 28.67/rec
    Gray vs bama '16 = 3 rec 76 yds 25.33/rec

Vs lsu, fitz overthrew a wide open gray for a likely td twice.

Vs bama, fitz threw a perfect deep pass (30+ yds) that gray dropped despite having defender beat.

Sec games only...
    23 catches 366 yds 15.91/rec (13th in sec)
    SEC totals include the Arkansas game. Most of his yards come after the catch. See the Egg Bowl. When he is dropping balls that hit him in the hands you are making my point for me.

And now without Ross he gets to deal with everyone's top CB. If we weren't almost as shitty at recruiting outside WR's he would be in the slot where he belongs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    SEC totals include the Arkansas game. Most of his yards come after the catch. See the Egg Bowl. When he is dropping balls that hit him in the hands you are making my point for me.

And now without Ross he gets to deal with everyone's top CB. If we weren't almost as shitty at recruiting outside WR's he would be in the slot where he belongs.
    He's never played in the slot, so I don't why you say he belongs there. Ripping gray is ridiculous. The guy is a player

vCash
    He's never played in the slot, so I don't why you say he belongs there. Ripping gray is ridiculous. The guy is a player
    Can't believe I'm saying this but I agree! Bet he has a good year, dude is strong.

vCash
    I'm not ripping Gray. I'm ripping the coaches for having to put him there. Most WR's are capable of playing both slot and outside. It's not like he's moving from DE to slot WR or something. And I have seen him lined up in the slot some last year.

Just like I would rip Hevesy for playing Rankin at center. It doesn't mean I think Rankin sucks.

vCash
    Gray vs lsu '16 = 3 rec 86 yds 28.67/rec
    Gray vs bama '16 = 3 rec 76 yds 25.33/rec

Vs lsu, fitz overthrew a wide open gray for a likely td twice.

Vs bama, fitz threw a perfect deep pass (30+ yds) that gray dropped despite having defender beat.

Sec games only...
    23 catches 366 yds 15.91/rec (13th in sec)
    We lost 51-3 to Bama. He should be open against their their 3rd DB's

Gray was tied for 29th in the SEC in receptions in conference games only

vCash
    He was slot in '15 and outside in '16. I'd like to see him back in the slot
    Mixon starts in the slot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post

He was 19th in SEC only games for yards per game and 13th for yards per reception
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 06-24-2017 at 01:34 PM.

vCash

19th in yards in sec games only. Yards per catch and total yards is much better stat to look at than receptions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    He was 19th in SEC only games for yards per game and 13th for yards per reception
    Yep. Useless though... random will argue more catches for less yards is better than less catches for more yards

vCash
    19th in yards in sec games only. Yards per catch and total yards is much better stat to look at than receptions
    They are all part of the picture. Gray didnt even average 3 receptions per game in SEC play. 70 plays per Saturday and he touches the ball less than 3 times. Very little impact

vCash
    Yep. Useless though... random will argue more catches for less yards is better than less catches for more yards
    Yes- give me Ross who had more catches for less yards per catch over Gray

vCash
    Yes- give me Ross who had more catches for less yards per catch over Gray
    He also had more total yards which you conveniently left off. How about these 2 WRs...

100 rec 400 yards
    40 rec 600 yards

Which one you want?

vCash
    They are all part of the picture. Gray didnt even average 3 receptions per game in SEC play. 70 plays per Saturday and he touches the ball less than 3 times. Very little impact
    He was still a top 20 receiver in yards per game, that is the impact he gives you. He doesn't have to a 10 reception per game possession receiver, he has to give us 3-5 deep plays per game. I'm not saying he doesn't have to improve but his game is not the number of receptions he has, it's stretching the field. And the QB actual hits him a few more times last year and he is a Top 10-15 receiver last year.

Josh Reynolds caught 10 more SEC passes than Gray last year and finished 4th in yards per game. That is just 1.25 more catches for Gray per SEC game and that would put him easily in the Top 5-10. That is his game not the number of receptions.

vCash
    Ross avg 5 catches per game in SEC play and only 2 players in the SEC avg more than 6 per SEC game. Gray had 2.9. He needs to catch 1.5 more per game this year and will be a Top 10 maybe Top 5 receiver in the SEC. His game doesn't lend itself to catching 7 per game (which no one avgeraged last year). 4-5 per game for with his avg per catch will be a threat and will have more yards than Ross.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'm not ripping Gray. I'm ripping the coaches for having to put him there. Most WR's are capable of playing both slot and outside. It's not like he's moving from DE to slot WR or something. And I have seen him lined up in the slot some last year.

Just like I would rip Hevesy for playing Rankin at center. It doesn't mean I think Rankin sucks.
    The fact that Myles is likely going to have to be one of our starting WRs after the awful year he had last year tells you how bad our outside WR situation is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    The fact that Myles is likely going to have to be one of our starting WRs after the awful year he had last year tells you how bad our outside WR situation is.
    very good point

Mixon should really have a good year though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Hopefully we'll get more out of our TE's this year....

vCash
    When Myles was doing well, we got him involved on bubble screens and let his athleticism make plays. It got his confidence up. After the Auburn game in '14, we simply quit calling his number on those plays, he lost his confidence, etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Ross avg 5 catches per game in SEC play and only 2 players in the SEC avg more than 6 per SEC game. Gray had 2.9. He needs to catch 1.5 more per game this year and will be a Top 10 maybe Top 5 receiver in the SEC. His game doesn't lend itself to catching 7 per game (which no one avgeraged last year). 4-5 per game for with his avg per catch will be a threat and will have more yards than Ross.
    Yep. And what's not even being mentioned is the fact that we had a first year starting QB who was still learning to be a passer, go through progressions, etc. That situation doesn't really lend itself to the number 2 WR getting a chance to make a huge impact. Gray will have a huge year from the outside.

vCash
    Everyone is going to be very satisfied with the production we get from Couch and Todd.. and I bet Gabe has a solid year