Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Baseball Grad Transfer, potential weekend starter???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    If our rotation is Pilkington and then two fifth year seniors in Billingsley and France we should be pretty solid. Aside

Now we just need to add a grad transfer at catcher.
    I feel good about catcher with Skelton and Gilbert.

vCash
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_v5O3zJIVQ

Here’s some video of France against LSU last year. First 30 seconds of video.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    so is this guy choosing MSU for his final year of eligibility to see if his can improve his draft stock? is that his current mindset?
    That or at least get a shot at the pros like Cody Brown and Lovelady.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    I don't think people fully understand what we have in our head coach of baseball....
    The guy got Lovelady a FA contract. I think Lovelady would be the first person to say Holy Shit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    I feel good about catcher with Skelton and Gilbert.
    We need another one for depth and to compete for a starting spot with Skelton. We only have two catchers and the third is Stovall. Gilbert played in a JUCO league where guys haven't typically translated as well to the SEC. I don't know that we can count on him. Skelton would have to carry the load and I would prefer to have two solid options at catcher if possible with a decent third guy in case of emergency. A fifth year senior that is a Mitch Slauter/Josh Lovelady type would be fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    The guy got Lovelady a FA contract. I think Lovelady would be the first person to say Holy Shit.
    Exactly! Loved josh but I absolutely thought he played the last game of his career at that super regional. Cann got that done for him. Cann is at the leading edge of the new generation of baseball coach. We're looking at the Nick Saban of college baseball

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    I don't think people fully understand what we have in our head coach of baseball....
    Amen!
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    so is this guy choosing MSU for his final year of eligibility to see if his can improve his draft stock? is that his current mindset?
    I think more like, he'd like to win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I think more like, he'd like to win.
    This is a good point. He has a much better chance of going deep in the postseason with us than he does Tulane.

I think sometimes as fans we get caught up in the going pro aspect that we do forget that at some level it's also about MSU doing well and it's mutually beneficial for both the player and the school.

vCash
    Cannizzaro is about to make USM, Tulane, and South Alabama our new JUCO programs...snake all their good Seniors

Banned
    vCash
    11 of his 14 starts he thew over a hundred pitches. He's an innings eater which is always nice to add.

vCash
    Canny + Gautreau = We're about to have more talent than any team in program history by 2019/2020

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    We need another one for depth and to compete for a starting spot with Skelton. We only have two catchers and the third is Stovall. Gilbert played in a JUCO league where guys haven't typically translated as well to the SEC. I don't know that we can count on him. Skelton would have to carry the load and I would prefer to have two solid options at catcher if possible with a decent third guy in case of emergency. A fifth year senior that is a Mitch Slauter/Josh Lovelady type would be fine.
    Yea, another would be nice. That being said, if Skelton had started all season he would have probably had better hitting numbers than Josh, and controlled the running game much better.....but Josh's leadership and control of the pitching staff made him so much more valuable than we all realize. I think Skelton will make a jump this offseason, and claim the job. If we can get a .250+ hitter in him, good run game control, and similar pitcher control as Josh...that's a win in my book for 2018.
    But I agree with you, we have got to have a 3rd catcher not named Stovall, Bc Gilbert is an unknown

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    11 of his 14 starts he thew over a hundred pitches. He's an innings eater which is always nice to add.
    That's not always the case, but it is with France. He avg'd over 6 ip per start

vCash
    I agree that Skelton will be good. He's strong, has good power as evidenced by his top of the wall double to dead center. Think he ends up being one of the better catchers we have had in a while!