Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couldn't Leo plead the 5th

vCash

Couldn't Leo plead the 5th

and force RR to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he was intentionally try to damage the company?

vCash
    The 5th only exists in criminal trials.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Wizardry View Post
    and force RR to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he was intentionally try to damage the company?
    They already have to prove that Leo lied. It isn't like in a court of law where they are innocent until proven guilty. It also helps that Leo didn't say anything publicly and it was somehow leaked at the same time as he was bringing a lawsuit. UNM is getting desperate and it doesn't take much common sense to figure out what they are doing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Wizardry View Post
    You can't in a civil case, only criminal cases. And pleading the 5th is for protecting yourself against self incrimination it doesn't let you refuse to testify in a matter.

vCash
    Can't plead 5th in Civil lawsuits.... but why would he want to?

vCash
    Somebody needs to insert a gif of the old lady in the Esurance or whatever commercial saying "that's not how this works. That's not how any of this works."

ETA: Yes, even in a civil trial/deposition, he could plead the 5th to avoid self-incrimination in a criminal matter. But in a civil trial, it is permissible for a finder of fact to make assumptions/inferences from the fact that you plead the 5th. If a criminal trial then took place with respect to whatever subject matter the 5th was plead, pleading the 5th cannot be used to create an assumption/inference of guilt.
    Last edited by Johnson85; 06-21-2017 at 05:09 PM.

vCash
    All Leo has to do is to tell them the truth about Rags giving him shit. Dont fall for any lawyer BS- just keep saying he gave you shit. And bring into court what he gave you

End of story

vCash
    Interesting that Paulllllllllll was in Oxfart..... (Finebaum)

He is answering ? on show today.....

Paul's saying that maybe at least another bowl ban and penalties directed at Freeze.. I nearly fell out of my chair.... when Paul answered....
    Paul thinks the penalties are going to be sever..... haha Is his preconception..... changing..... #HAILSTATE .....
    Last edited by Mimi's Babies; 06-21-2017 at 05:48 PM.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Unreal. Wtf people?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Can't plead 5th in Civil lawsuits.... but why would he want to?
    actually, you can plead the 5th in a civil case. however, you are right. why would he want to? based on how the lawsuit is filed the burden of proof is on the plaintiff, not the defendant. Leo needs to just stay the course and keep the core of his story consistent and he'll be fine

(of course, all that said, I doubt very seriously this case progresses much at all for a myriad of reasons which I laid out here in a previous post for anyone curious).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    You can't in a civil case, only criminal cases. And pleading the 5th is for protecting yourself against self incrimination it doesn't let you refuse to testify in a matter.
    that's what I always thought until the IRS chick went before a sub committee and claimed it - and that was only an investigative inquiry ... Can't remember if it was for criminal intent or what but she never went to trial
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    All Leo has to do is to tell them the truth about Rags giving him shit. Dont fall for any lawyer BS- just keep saying he gave you shit. And bring into court what he gave you

End of story
    Exactly! Tell the truth and keep it simple!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Somebody needs to insert a gif of the old lady in the Esurance or whatever commercial saying "that's not how this works. That's not how any of this works."

ETA: Yes, even in a civil trial/deposition, he could plead the 5th to avoid self-incrimination in a criminal matter. But in a civil trial, it is permissible for a finder of fact to make assumptions/inferences from the fact that you plead the 5th. If a criminal trial then took place with respect to whatever subject matter the 5th was plead, pleading the 5th cannot be used to create an assumption/inference of guilt.
    Damn Johnson, I hope your a Lawyer (maybe Mississippi College) who did their undergrad at MSU, excellent post. Rep given +1
    Last edited by msbulldog; 06-21-2017 at 07:15 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    that's what I always thought until the IRS chick went before a sub committee and claimed it - and that was only an investigative inquiry ... Can't remember if it was for criminal intent or what but she never went to trial
    Well that is true. You can in that case so you don't incriminate yourself from later prosecution that arises from a civil case. I think you can even after you have given testimony or deposition; in that just those acts doesn't wave your rights to plead the 5th later. But just pleading the fifth to abstain from giving testimony can't be done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    That would be Lois Learner, she was involved with persecution of Christian organizations delaying or denying their status of non profit status. She retired shortly after her congressional testimony (drawing a serious pension). She was not prosecuted because nobody pushed it.
    Last edited by msbulldog; 06-21-2017 at 06:24 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    That would be Lois Learner, she was involved with persecution of Christian organizations delaying or denying their status of non profit status. She retired shortly after her congressional testimony (drawing a serious pension). She was not prosecuted because nobody pushed it.
    Because of the administration and justice department at the time. Was what she did criminal? Not sure. But it was certainly unethical.

vCash
    This lawsuit is misdirected, the defendants made their statements in private interviews. The NCAA published these charges in their NOA (I am still not convinced that students names are not redacted in any copies of the NOA). Prima facia based on the first impression; accepted as correct until proved otherwise says this lawsuit should be tossed for a variety of reasons.

vCash
    This lawsuit is misdirected, the defendants made their statements in private interviews. The NCAA published these charges in their NOA (I am still not convinced that students names are not redacted in any copies of the NOA). Prima facia based on the first impression; accepted as correct until proved otherwise says this lawsuit should be tossed for a variety of reasons.
    I guess what I'm saying is Rebel Rags should be suing the NCAA not the student athletes.

vCash
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. For Pete sake, why is this even a discussion?

vCash
    Are the students' names supposedly redacted from the notification sent to the offending university? Even if it's Ole Miss , I would think that they should be able to know who their accusers are. I know it's not a legal matter, but you'd think that would be the case nevertheless.