Thread: Apparently you can't have an opinion anymore according to the UM folks

vCash

Apparently you can't have an opinion anymore according to the UM folks

Okay so this past weekend was Father?s Day and normally I take a crew of guys over that weekend to comemerate God?s mandate to those men that follow Him to come out away from their families and come to Him and He will teach them how to be men 3 times a year. If you want commentary on that further I will be glad to give it to you if you ask. But anyway, the conference is called Gridiron and it?s a very special conference for me because years ago I surrendered my life to Jesus through it. I was gonna take a crew again (as well as my teenage son to continue our tradition) until I saw who was speaking there?.Hugh Freeze. I was very disappointed in the conference for allowing him to come based on the fact that he has the investigation looming and considering that they are going after him?personally it leaves to much doubt for a couple of reasons.

1.) I take being a father and husband very serious! These two duties only come 2nd to my walk with the Lord. And I know that most of our problems in this nation are due to 2 things. A.) Men NOT stepping up and being what God called them to be and discarding their God given gift of spiritual leadership for games, guns and other fleshly desires. B.) The church NOT stepping up to be what Jesus commanded them to be (salt and light) and oppose the culture. But I decided this year to forgo the annual trip and not go because I don?t think he can teach me anything about integrity. And guess what he spoke about?integrity (one guy I know went and later told me).

2.) Paul talks about there being a Judgement for believers in Christ after we are in Heaven. When I?ve preached about it I often refer to it as ?film day? where everything you did (good or bad) will be brought to light and those things that you thought you got away with?.are seen in a film of your life before The Glorified Christ. Like the player that was out of position and lied about it live in the game when he sits in that film room and is exposed by the film, it will bring an intense level of discomfort. Yet for the follower of Christ, it will be a time of intense regret. I believe that room where ever it is, the floor will be filled with tears. This is not a heaven or hell judgement but rather a judgement of rewards (in the Greek it?s referedd to as the ?bema seat?) to see if they will pass the fires of judgement. The things that won?t will be consumed by the fire. Things like me taking and subjecting my son and a group of guys to this, I wrestled with when I saw Freeze was going to be there and so I made the decision not to go.

This had nothing to do with fan base or rival teams or anything like that, because if the truth be told I wouldn?t go hear Mullen try to tell me how to be a godly man either. So I posted on twitter at the conference that I was disappointed with the Gridiron conference for having him there. And boy it opened a can of worms! I had UM fans trolling me for the rest of the night giving excuses left and right as to why I was wrong. Saying ?who are you to judge?? (by the way I love it when people try to use that verse on me ). My response was that Paul tells this church in Corinth (1 Corinthians 5) that it?s their job to judge those in the church, but not the lost.

Anyway I wanted to tell you people who are trolling this site as UM fans who were trolling me this weekend this: I love Freeze, I really do. But I am not going to listen to a man who is under investigation for lacking in integrity (recruiting violations/under the table recruiting) try and teach me about integrity. If Freeze is saved (and I believe he is) he needs to do just what I have to do in regards to my sins?.REPENT?.that means turn away from them and confess them to the Lord. He is to do as James said ?let his YES be yes and his NO be no?. The armor of God doesn?t work without the belt of truth synched in and pulled tight. The other pieces are locked onto that one item and without it?.you leave yourself open for attack.

My heart breaks whenever there?s a indictment on fellow believers and it tarnishes the garments of Jesus? bride. So I know I?m a state fan but I?ll be glad this is over because I want Freeze to get back to getting himself aligned under the will of the Father. And I know there are brother?s in Christ on here and I challenge you to put aside your petty team stuff and lift this brother up in prayer?.all joking aside?he?s gonna need it. So in the spirit of Galatians 6:1, we need to restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Guys thanks for letting me give a word, I love you all..God bless!

vCash
    +1

vCash
    So be it.

vCash
    In the words of Gunnery Sgt. Hartman in Full Metal Jacket Freeze can give his "heart to the Lord but his [tail] belongs to the [NCAA]".

I think it sickens God when we twist religion as a get out of jail free card for our responsibilities. It is a terrible witness to others. One thing we should learn about Jesus going to the cross and his disciples being martyred for the faith is that believers don't blame or scapegoat others and avoid their responsibilities. It's not so much that Freeze cheated. "Mistakes were made" but it's that Freeze has blamed everyone else for his mistakes. That's wrong whether you are a Christian or not.

Honestly in my opinion I suspect Hugh Freeze is sincere but OM is using his faith because they know that so many southerners are easily blinded by religious convictions. He has been caught red-handed lying to recruits and telling them that there is nothing for them to worry about. He might be saved but he's also either a liar or a psychopath. Take your choice.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    High Freeze gives good, Mississippi Christians a bad name. He's an embarrassment for this state. I can't take any place serious that allows him to "preach".

vCash
    I went to that conference as well the last 3 years and did not go this year for that very reason. Not to mention the rumors of Freeze having affairs as well. I thought it was a poor choice to have him as a Keynote speaker with everything that is going on around him. Its an amazing conference for those that have never been, and can certainly change your life.

vCash
    I have never been to Gridiron, I first heard about it this year and skipped it for the same reason. I'm planning on going to Lifeway men's conference next month in Nashville.

I don't know how much of my opinion of Freeze is predicated on him being the Ole Miss coach, but I really don't think there's an authentic bone in his body. I'm not going to attend a lecture on integrity by Rick Pitino or Bruce Pearl either, so it's not just Ole Miss.
    Leicester Till I Die

vCash
    Great post Coach 57... I have only heard about Gridiron only a few times. Not recently though, until Freeze was announced as the keynote. Then it seemed like UM was boasting this to much. That is one problem I have with UM and media they will boast up Freeze talking at all these christian conferences. I would like to go to Tony Dungy's men's conference especially since being a new first time dad.

vCash
    Hugh Freeze's favorite hymn: How Great Thou Art. Why: He thinks it's about him.

vCash
    Psalms 1:1

"Blessed is the man who walks NOT in the counsel of the wicked (ungodly),"

The "wicked/ungodly" here is not someone who hates God but rather is someone who very well could be sitting next to you in church. And to be "blessed" means not to take "counsel" (life applicable advice) from them. I'm going to be honest this is what I feel in this context.

vCash
    I believe Freeze is truly a christian, but just like myself and any other man, he sins and falls short of the glory of God. However, I believe that he has bit off more than he can chew by being the Head Coach at UNM.

I think that Freeze is an ultimate people pleaser (I myself struggle with this), and because of this, he ultimately ignored his convictions to allow the boosters and the higher ups and UNM to run his program and basically begin to use himself as a pawn in their large game. Sin is a slippery slope and when we ignore our convictions, the enemy is smart and begins to push us to do more. The next thing you know, you are lying to recruits and their parents and allowing your program to become dirtier than Neshoba County Fair rain water.

I pray that through this, Freeze will come to repentance and come clean about what he has done and also shed true light on the horrible crap show that is UNM.

vCash
    What's that movie with Steve Martin as the dirty preacher?

Every time I read one of these threads I immediately think of that movie.

vCash
    I appreciate your post 54.

vCash
    Sorry, 57, I typed wrong #

vCash

When the roll is called down yonder he'll be there.........................

Rev freeze will reap what he hast Sown.

vCash
    Can't wait to see what happens when I wear my Rosebowl Was Right tshirt around town.

vCash
    Overall, a good thread with "good preaching" A rarity on any board. Way to go fellows.