Thread: O.T Guys please help me I'm not tech savy

vCash

O.T Guys please help me I'm not tech savy

Just bought a new (to me) home from a surgeon, he has this place wired for communication with the hospital. All 6 bedrooms have multiple USB ports and there are 3 routers in the house.

Having said that, all I want is to set up my television in the 6 bedrooms, living room, kitchen and covered patio. As soon as I moved in I called xfinity and they came and set me up with TV as requested, telephone lines and wifi but I'm not really happy with the TV aspect of the package. It's cheap (relatively) for the first 24 months but then the rates will go up steeply.

I've seen a lot of talk about Apple TV, rockoo?? Sic. Hulu etc.

My question is, can I set this up to serve all the tvs in the house and if so is there a way to set up a DVR type of system?

Sorry but I'm not tech savy and I haven't taken the time to educate myself, so any of you younger guys or older guys for that matter that know these things care to give me any suggestions or at least tell me what to avoid.

We enjoy all sports programming and the wife must have the cooking channel and the housebitches of whatever county. Also enjoy discovery and history channels. Etc.

Thanks guys.

vCash
    Slingbox may allow you to do that. Hulu and Netflix are more difficult. I think you need some kind of system on each TV to do it, unless they're smart TVs. And even then I'm not sure if your script would carry over to the other TVs.

I'm sure some of our esteemed tech nerds in here can help though.

vCash
    Thanks P.H, sounds like it may be more,trouble than it's worth right now. Yes they are smart t.v's if that helps with any other suggestions.

Banned
    vCash
    To have 6 HDDVR's it's gonna be pricey, I would just try to deal with comcast if I am you. You shouldn't have any issues getting every damn channel they offer if you're getting 6 DVR's. Remember the extra you pay you will save in time and hassle trying to jerryrig some shit in 6 different rooms. I pay out the ass every month for Comcast but when I get home I hit one button and the sports/entertainment I want to watch is immediately there. I just remind myself how easy it is every time I get pissed about the ass raping I take for a bill.

vCash
    If you're doing any sort of search, it's Roku, not rockoo. I have Roku but don't really use it much ... just when MSU has a game on ESPN3 basically.

He's not going to need 6 different DVRs. I only have two rooms set up, but I'm pretty sure my Dish Hopper 3 can handle several rooms with just one DVR. I have to have what Dish calls a Joey in the outlying rooms, but that's it. Seems like the Joey is an additional $10 or so.

I'm with Dawg61 though ... go ahead and pay the price, which will probably be in the $150 range for all you want ... and then don't worry about it. I'm old, admittedly, but all the streaming stuff isn't dependable, isn't recordable, and is basically a pain in the rear. But it's probalby thing thing of the future.

vCash
    While there are ways to mirror a single box to multiple tv's, you would probably be better off buying a roku or something similar for each tv. That being said, if your USB ports are actually cat 5/6 lines at every tv then that opens up a completely different realm of possibilities.

Edit to add: If you have the ability to get Cspire then I would get rid of Comcast, go internet only and subscribe to psvue. The initial cost will be more because you will need some sort of device for every tv, but the cost difference would easily be made up for within the first year.
    Last edited by GrooGruxDawg; 06-19-2017 at 06:04 PM.

vCash
    Thank you guys, I didn't realize that it was going to be a jerryrig type of thing, I thought it may have been a pretty simple procedure but it sounds like a hassle.

I do like the xfinity voice command remote, that's very cool but I was with DirecTV for almost 17 yrs so it's a learning curve switching to Comcast. I will say the picture quality is better but the Xfinity wifi isn't near as fast as the Att I had at the other house.

Right now for 2 phone lines, wifi and television I'm spending $160ish a month but it will go up in 24 months.

vCash
    I made the switch to PlayStation Vue over the weekend. I have 7 TVs that I need to view and the Vue only allows for 5 at the same time, which isn't a problem as I will never need more than 5 at once.

Playstation Vue is essentially an app that can be downloaded by another type of device. I bought 2 apple TVs for my main two viewing areas and will buy 3 Roku's to use elsewhere. Whenever viewing is needed on my patio or guest room, I will simply move a roku from somewhere else to that room.

So far, I'm thoroughly pleased. Eliminated more than $100 in monthly expense buy investing in around $500 worth of equipment. The Vue package I got is $35 per month and I get every channel that I need. It has DVR type capabilities, as well as on-demand content.

The only negative I see right now is the ability to jump directly to a channel. For instance, I used it just punch in 1602 to get to ESPN. Now I have to scroll to the guide and find the channel to get there. I'm sure there's a shortcut, I just haven't got that far yet.

PlayStation Vue is pretty awesome.
    Last edited by missouridawg; 06-19-2017 at 06:22 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missouridawg View Post
    I made the switch to PlayStation Vue over the weekend. I have 7 TVs that I need to view and the Vue only allows for 5 at the same time, which isn't a problem as I will never need more than 5 at once.

Playstation Vue is essentially an app that can be downloaded by another type of device. I bought 2 apple TVs for my main two viewing areas and will buy 3 Roku's to use elsewhere. Whenever viewing is needed on my patio or guest room, I will simply move a roku from somewhere else to that room.

So far, I'm thoroughly pleased. Eliminated more than $100 in monthly expense buy investing in around $500 worth of equipment. The Vue package I got is $35 per month and I get every channel that I need. It has DVR type capabilities, as well as on-demand content.

The only negative I see right now is the ability to jump directly to a channel. For instance, I used it just punch in 1602 to get to ESPN. Now I have to scroll to the guide and find the channel to get there. I'm sure there's a shortcut, I just haven't got that far yet.

PlayStation Vue is pretty awesome.
    I second Vue, i have had it almost a year now. You can set favorite channels which makes toggling a lot easier.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Op4isabitch View Post
    Thank you guys, I didn't realize that it was going to be a jerryrig type of thing, I thought it may have been a pretty simple procedure but it sounds like a hassle.

I do like the xfinity voice command remote, that's very cool but I was with DirecTV for almost 17 yrs so it's a learning curve switching to Comcast. I will say the picture quality is better but the Xfinity wifi isn't near as fast as the Att I had at the other house.

Right now for 2 phone lines, wifi and television I'm spending $160ish a month but it will go up in 24 months.
    That's pretty cheap. Mine's more for internet, one phone line, and television with no premium (HBO, etc.) channels. Over $200 but it's two different companies.

vCash
    Thanks for the info on PlayStation vue. I'll look into it, rocketdawg, I agree it's cheap however it will go,up considerably after the 24 month intro fee, in fact it will be well over $200 if rates remain the same.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Op4isabitch View Post
    Thanks for the info on PlayStation vue. I'll look into it, rocketdawg, I agree it's cheap however it will go,up considerably after the 24 month intro fee, in fact it will be well over $200 if rates remain the same.
    You have control over this. I am not locked into a contract with comcast at all. It is month to month. They won't tell you this upfront cause they want you to buy the bundle as I think each rep gets commission of of each bundle they sell.