Thread: Question About Barney Supposedly Going Rogue

vCash

Question About Barney Supposedly Going Rogue

My understanding is that the Bears are claiming that Barney Farrar, an administrative type without on-field coaching responsibilities, went off the reservation completely on his own, without the knowledge of Hugh Freeze, and broke a bunch of NCAA rules.

What would his motivation be for doing so? My guess is that most folks in Barney's role work reasonably hard, do their jobs, collect their paychecks and go home at 5:00 pm to their families. They want the paychecks to continue and are therefore risk-adverse and very likely to follow the rules. They're not getting big bonuses or promotions based on bowl wins, conference championships, highly-ranked recruiting classes, etc.

What is the Rebel explanation for Barney doing what he did? What made the mid-level admin guy say, "I think what I'll do today is cause my head coach and my employer to have some major NCAA rules violations, even though we're currently under investigation? Sure, there's no upside to me doing any of this, but it will be fun. If Hugh Freeze, who is pure as the driven snow and would never want me to break any rules on his behalf, asks me about any of this, I'll just lie to him. I might get a show-cause and lose any chance of earning a living in college football in the future, but so what?"

Does anyone have an Ole Miss co-worker or brother-in-law who has offered up a plausible rationale for Barney's rogue actions?

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Who knows what he was thinking. They wear ascots and like three-five popped collars. Who knows.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HeCannotGo View Post
    My understanding is that the Bears are claiming that Barney Farrar, an administrative type without on-field coaching responsibilities, went off the reservation completely on his own, without the knowledge of Hugh Freeze, and broke a bunch of NCAA rules.

What would his motivation be for doing so? My guess is that most folks in Barney's role work reasonably hard, do their jobs, collect their paychecks and go home at 5:00 pm to their families. They want the paychecks to continue and are therefore risk-adverse and very likely to follow the rules. They're not getting big bonuses or promotions based on bowl wins, conference championships, highly-ranked recruiting classes, etc.

What is the Rebel explanation for Barney doing what he did? What made the mid-level admin guy say, "I think what I'll do today is cause my head coach and my employer to have some major NCAA rules violations, even though we're currently under investigation? Sure, there's no upside to me doing any of this, but it will be fun. If Hugh Freeze, who is pure as the driven snow and would never want me to break any rules on his behalf, asks me about any of this, I'll just lie to him. I might get a show-cause and lose any chance of earning a living in college football in the future, but so what?"

Does anyone have an Ole Miss co-worker or brother-in-law who has offered up a plausible rationale for Barney's rogue actions?
    His job was 100% recruiter, night and day, 24 /7/365

Other than Freeze he was THE recruiter....... but he wasn't rogue
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    His job was exactly what he did. Be the middle guy in the dirty crootin, so Freeze could have plausible deniability. It was set up to protect Freeze, but once they got rolling, their arrogance sealed their fate.

vCash
    That's a good point. Sometimes a head coach might take a risk. You are making $4 million a year. If the risk doesn't pan out and you get busted after five years, you may never coach again. But you have your $20 million in the bank, so who cares. If the risk does pan out, then you continue to get raises and make the big bucks. If you play it straight and fail, then you go back to being an assistant at a much smaller salary. So the risk is very tempting.

But an assistant is different. Especially a career assistant with no chance at becoming a head coach. You are only making $100,000 - $400,000. If you ruin your career, you don't have enough cash to retire. So you are careful about taking a risk. If you don't take the risk and the staff fails because you go 2-10 and everybody gets fired, then you can still find a comparable job. So the risk is not as tempting because there is no real incentive.

So I just don't see Barney doing it on his on, against the head coach's wishes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post

So I just don't see Barney doing it on his on, against the head coach's wishes.
    He didn't
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    I think one reason that they picked the Leo Lewis/Rebel Rags allegation to strongly deny is because it involves Kiffin and not Barney. I realize many other coaches are named, but this is another coach/booster interaction with players. It's a lost cause, but something so close to the university can't be described as rogue if true.

vCash
    Also, Spiderman is a closet Bear and has a John Fourcade fat head in his living room.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Who knows what he was thinking. They wear ascots and like three-five popped collars. Who knows.
    Where'd you learn that term? I had to look it up.

vCash
    The "rogue" coach BS doesnt fly because 6 different coaches have violations

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    Question....since Barney is being blamed for all of this, does he stick around Oxford, or does he get out of town? After all, he certainly is looked at in a bad light now, right?

I'll throw you a little curve. I know the answer to this question. Just wanted to see what you thought.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    The "rogue" coach BS doesnt fly because 6 different coaches have violations
    That's right up there with all the other Level I's not involving Student Athlete 39 that the TCUN fanatics FAIL to realize speaks volumes into the LOIC charge being levied by the NCAA.

It wasn't JUST one Student Athlete!
    It wasn't JUST MSU turning in TCUN!
    It wasn't JUST Barney!
    It wasn't JUST 2015!
    It wasn't JUST one Level I!
    It wasn't JUST one loaner car "mistake!"
    It wasn't JUST an FCA get-together!
    It wasn't JUST one TCUN athlete to get his ACT scores "fixed" in Waynesboro!
    It wasn't JUST Houston Nutt!
    It wasn't JUST women's basketball and track&field!
    It wasn't JUST one prospective student athlete begin given transportation and tix to Bowl games!
    It wasn't JUST one occurrence of FREE lodging!

It WAS an OUT OF CONTROL NETWORK attempting to provide impermissible benefits targeting CONTINUOUS RECRUITING ADVANTAGES!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSOPdawg View Post
    That's right up there with all the other Level I's not involving Student Athlete 39 that the TCUN fanatics FAIL to realize speaks volumes into the LOIC charge being levied by the NCAA.

It wasn't JUST one Student Athlete!
    It wasn't JUST MSU turning in TCUN!
    It wasn't JUST Barney!
    It wasn't JUST 2015!
    It wasn't JUST one Level I!
    It wasn't JUST one loaner car "mistake!"
    It wasn't JUST an FCA get-together!
    It wasn't JUST one TCUN athlete to get his ACT scores "fixed" in Waynesboro!
    It wasn't JUST Houston Nutt!
    It wasn't JUST women's basketball and track&field!
    It wasn't JUST one prospective student athlete begin given transportation and tix to Bowl games!
    It wasn't JUST one occurrence of FREE lodging!

It WAS an OUT OF CONTROL NETWORK attempting to provide impermissible benefits targeting CONTINUOUS RECRUITING ADVANTAGES!!!!!

And the 21 allegations are just what they found and could prove. Think of how much is still out there that they couldn't find. Over a 5 year period there could have been, and most likely were, over 100 violations that took place.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Chucklelips View Post
    And the 21 allegations are just what they found and could prove. Think of how much is still out there that they couldn't find. Over a 5 year period there could have been, and most likely were, over 100 violations that took place.
    That's why I think the TCUN brass goes to Indianapolis and the COI presents them with a dossier of the CURRENT NOA but then shows these TCUN dipsh!ts a bank of 20 file cabinets saying this is what ELSE we are also aware of -- are you really going to continue on with your lack of contrition and disrespect?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSOPdawg View Post
    That's why I think the TCUN brass goes to Indianapolis and the COI presents them with a dossier of the CURRENT NOA but then shows these TCUN dipsh!ts a bank of 20 file cabinets saying this is what ELSE we are also aware of -- are you really going to continue on with your lack of contrition and disrespect?
    Its been a lot of folks thoughts that the NCAA will not give anyone the death penalty on the first go round. Do you think....is there any way....is it at all possible....surely not....that the NCAA has determined that OM has to be the most cheating, no good, sob's in the history of the sport, that they are holding some stuff back to bring out in say 2, 3, years that would put the final nail in the coffin that would justify a dp? Just wondering....
    Last edited by Lumpy Chucklelips; 06-19-2017 at 08:45 PM.

vCash
    It brings to mind.

If you gave an order that Santiago wasn't to be touched, and your orders are always followed, then why would Santiago be in danger? Why would it be necessary to transfer him off the base?