Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Assistant MSU Baseball Coach Job Posted

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    I remember a couple of years ago hearing one of the many baseball writers saying that a lot of florida's recruiting success could be attributed to their coaching staff being made up of former scouts.
    This is true.

Florida has 2 assistants that were former scouts and O'Sullivan was a pitching coach in the Twins organization.

Throw in connections with agents and they are able to commit the best players in FL when they are in the 9th grade and work them to school.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    Again I say....not many understand fully what we have in our head baseball coach...
    This. Cohen is an intelligent individual. Very intelligent. He knew exactly what he was doing when he made that hire.

vCash
    Again I say....not many understand fully what we have in our head baseball coach...
    This. Canny is really good, but there are numerous advantages he brings beyond his own coaching ability.

Our talent should be close to the best it's been in our history in about 3 years.

vCash
    I like the fact that we are starting to get more and more pro baseball connections- Cann with his scouting background and now Gautreau with his background as an agent- is something we simply have never had before. I like the fact that both Cann and Gautreau used to play in the pros as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I like the fact that we are starting to get more and more pro baseball connections- Cann with his scouting background and now Gautreau with his background as an agent- is something we simply have never had before. I like the fact that both Cann and Gautreau used to play in the pros as well.
    We are cooking with gas, boys! This is a serious commitment to recruiting excellence

vCash
    If Henderson does go anywhere, look for Dunn to get the nod as pitching coach. There are strong rumors from LSU fans this may happen.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    And I'm not sold on Dunn. Recruiting yes developing guys meh

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    Wonder how it will affect some of our recruits.
    About the same as you do

Banned
    vCash
    About the same as you do

vCash
    And I'm not sold on Dunn. Recruiting yes developing guys meh
    I have a feeling his guys might be a little mentally tougher away from Manieri.

vCash
    I have a feeling his guys might be a little mentally tougher away from Manieri.
    I don't think many coaches like working for Manieri

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    I don't think many coaches like working for Manieri
    Exhibit A tonight- they score on a lucky play and during the in game interview Manieri proudly talks about how it was his idea to send Freeman. What a douche.

vCash
    I seen it is right again! Cann is the new generation of baseball coach. He knows what makes these young people tick these days and speaks their language while retaining the red ass edge of old school coaches. He's a winner and we should be dang glad cohen knew what he was doing in hiring Cann.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I seen it is right again! Cann is the new generation of baseball coach. He knows what makes these young people tick these days and speaks their language while retaining the red ass edge of old school coaches. He's a winner and we should be dang glad cohen knew what he was doing in hiring Cann.
    Totally agree and I can't wait to see how he shapes his staff. I never would have thought to hire a guy with Scott Boras ties. Cann is just very advanced and ahead of the curve.

vCash
    Totally agree and I can't wait to see how he shapes his staff. I never would have thought to hire a guy with Scott Boras ties. Cann is just very advanced and ahead of the curve.
    Yep, I still find it very hard to believe he is a Tulane alum and somehow they passed on him.

vCash
    Can someone explain how having Boras ties and experience as an agent is so advantageous? I guess I'm not following.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogcountry1 View Post
    Can someone explain how having Boras ties and experience as an agent is so advantageous? I guess I'm not following.
    When a kid becomes a potential pro prospect at a young age, agents begin to recognize him and hope to get him to choose their agency to represent him. Once the agent represents him, he can begin to influence where that kid goes to school and how much the signability is.

Having a good relationship with an agent means that the school has a greater chance of having a player pushed towards them and the signability being high enough that he actually gets to school.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    When a kid becomes a potential pro prospect at a young age, agents begin to recognize him and hope to get him to choose their agency to represent him. Once the agent represents him, he can begin to influence where that kid goes to school and how much the signability is.

Having a good relationship with an agent means that the school has a greater chance of having a player pushed towards them and the signability being high enough that he actually gets to school.
    Wouldn't having a relationship with a scout out of high school hurt eligibility? I know if they don't sign then they are still considered amateurs, but just having contacts?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fader2103 View Post
    Wouldn't having a relationship with a scout out of high school hurt eligibility? I know if they don't sign then they are still considered amateurs, but just having contacts?
    You mean agents- not scouts? What happens is the agent is an "advisor" until the player signs his first pro contract and then the agent gets their money on the back end. It has been going on for years and years and the NCAA doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

vCash
    You mean agents- not scouts? What happens is the agent is an "advisor" until the player signs his first pro contract and then the agent gets their money on the back end. It has been going on for years and years and the NCAA doesn't seem to have a problem with it.
    That is what happened with the second baseman from lsu that left there about three years ago. His name is slipping me right now, but he was from south ms. Todd will tell us his name, but he had a big name agent (maybe boras) advising him. Everyone thought he was a sure fire first rounder, but he wanted too much money and ended up at lsu.