Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: major league draft

vCash

major league draft

Where is best place to follow draft? When does it start?

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    6:00pm Just started

MLB Network will carry first couple of rounds I think. Then can go to

https://www.mlb.com/draft/tracker

vCash
    Thanks to Chris Correa I don't have to worry about the Cardinals picking anyone tonight.

vCash
    Braves get Kyle wright. I like

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Braves get Kyle wright. I like
    yeah, they're pretty dang happy about it. let's hope they go position players here on out though, or else they may have to buy a minor league team just to have slots for all the SP talent.

vCash
    Hey Todd, or anyone, please explain the slot money and how that works. Especially in regards to being able to shift around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Chucklelips View Post
    Hey Todd, or anyone, please explain the slot money and how that works. Especially in regards to being able to shift around.
    short answer:

so each pick comes with a slot amount. 1-1 is about $7.7M, falling off pretty quickly. 2nd round picks are about $1-2M. a team's bonus pool is the slot amounts of all their picks in the first 10 rounds. if they are over that amount, then there are penalties. so if you sign the #1 pick for $5M, then that's $2.7M you have to spend somewhere else. you could draft a guy later with a $1M slot, and give him $3.7M to sign. enables you to get a guy with a high sign amount that earlier picks passed on because they couldn't afford him in their pool. bonuses to players after Round 10 don't count as long as they aren't over $100k i think.

vCash
    So if the #1 guy is slotted at 7.7, why would he sign for any less?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Chucklelips View Post
    So if the #1 guy is slotted at 7.7, why would he sign for any less?
    The team tells him ahead of time that they'll take him 1 for X. He can agree or take his chances, but if they pass, he starts falling and losing money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    The team tells him ahead of time that they'll take him 1 for X. He can agree or take his chances, but if they pass, he starts falling and losing money.
    yep. most of these guys are represented by the top agents, like Boras, who would do major damage to themselves if they reneged on a deal.

the falloff used to be more drastic before this year. it's looking like there will be less such deals now. chatter is Braves were trying for an underslot deal with Beck, but he declined. at slot price, they vastly preferred Wright. it also probably didn't help the Twins that Wright is a huge Braves fan and vastly preferred to go there for the same amount of money, so they had no leverage to underslot him.

vCash
    Where is Rooker suppose to go?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    short answer:

so each pick comes with a slot amount. 1-1 is about $7.7M, falling off pretty quickly. 2nd round picks are about $1-2M. a team's bonus pool is the slot amounts of all their picks in the first 10 rounds. if they are over that amount, then there are penalties. so if you sign the #1 pick for $5M, then that's $2.7M you have to spend somewhere else. you could draft a guy later with a $1M slot, and give him $3.7M to sign. enables you to get a guy with a high sign amount that earlier picks passed on because they couldn't afford him in their pool. bonuses to players after Round 10 don't count as long as they aren't over $100k i think.
    That's what happened to Fenter if I remember correctly. He was what, 7th round? Got $1 million

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pdawg10msu View Post
    Where is Rooker suppose to go?
    There are rumors that he could go to the Twins at 37 but I think some of that is because the Twins drafted him last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    That's what happened to Fenter if I remember correctly. He was what, 7th round? Got $1 million
    That's exactly what happened. And it pretty much happened with Kruger too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    short answer:

I think the after round 10 bonus went from 100K to 125K this year if I'm not mistaken.

vCash
    Have we had anyone drafted yet? HS OF from NY?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Madisonmd View Post
    Have we had anyone drafted yet? HS OF from NY?
    Currently still on the board and not even on the baseball America best prospects available

vCash
    Looks like Cody Brown knocked Alex Lange out to the Cubs 30th pick... seriously Lange is a better pitcher to me than Kyle Wright, but that's why the Braves suck....and Cubs are champions

vCash
    LSU just had a juco pitcher selected at 28. Go, please go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Looks like Cody Brown knocked Alex Lange out to the Cubs 30th pick... seriously Lange is a better pitcher to me than Kyle Wright, but that's why the Braves suck....and Cubs are champions
    You think the cubs would take Lange over wright?