Thread: Cape Cod & Summer leagues

vCash

Cape Cod & Summer leagues

When will we know where each player is going, which league, and when they will report? I'm going to be interested to follow some of these guys in summer ball....hitters Skelton, Alexander, Bragg (unless he transfers), Blaylock, Macnamee, Vansau, etc, as well as pitchers Plumlee, Billingsley, Gordon, Self, Price, Hughes, Ford, Barlow, & any other TJ guys if there are any.

With a little bit of improvement over the summer, we could return a pretty experienced core due to the injuries forcing early reps. I really think forcing some of these guys to sink or swim this year will help provide some good depth that can at least be serviceable filling in for key pieces that leave over the next few years.

vCash
    They know where they are going already.

Team USA- Pilkington

Cape- Trysten Barlow, LA, Hunter Stovall, and Mangum.

Sitting out- Self.

That's off the top of my head

vCash
    Cannizaro mentioned a week or two ago that Self would be shut down this summer due to the amount he has pitched this season. Stated he would be in Starkville taking classes and working out.

vCash
    Cal Ripken League- Brant Blaylock

Also of interest a couple of our recruits- Tanner Allen and Jordan Westburg are playing summer ball in the Cal Ripken League as well. That's sort of a new thing that is starting to happen a little bit with high end recruits before their freshman year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

Team USA- Pilkington

Sitting out- Self.

I'd love to see Mangum add some muscle & work on plate discipline during the offseason. I'm glad to see Barlow going to the Cape...we need a lefty we can count on out of the pen. What other LHP will we have next year?

vCash
    Cal Ripken League- Brant Blaylock

Also of interest a couple of our recruits- Tanner Allen and Jordan Westburg are playing summer ball in the Cal Ripken League as well. That's sort of a new thing that is starting to happen a little bit with high end recruits before their freshman year.
    I still think Blaylock can be a decent player for us. Tell me about Allen & Westburg...where do we expect them to play, what type of hitters are they?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I still think Blaylock can be a decent player for us. Tell me about Allen & Westburg...where do we expect them to play, what type of hitters are they?
    According to the post on tigerdroppings back when Allen committed to lsu, he was ranked 80something or there about in perfect game I think. The lsu fan said he was an outfielder with power.

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    Last I saw, Allen was ranked 155 on PG. Westburg at 223. However, we have the following that are ranked ahead of them. I'm sure there will be a few that we won't ever see.

PG Rank
    9 Troy Bacon
    14 John Mason
    26 Quinton Holmes
    28 Pearson McMahon
    51 Jordon Anderson
    80 Chad Bryant
    99 Bryson Hutchinson
    135 Josh Hatcher
    144 Owen Lovell
    155 Tanner Allen
    223 Jordan Westburg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I'd love to see Mangum add some muscle & work on plate discipline during the offseason. I'm glad to see Barlow going to the Cape...we need a lefty we can count on out of the pen. What other LHP will we have next year?
    Mangum needs to work on his plate discipline as well- actually hitting pitching in the strike zone can lead to more extra base hits too. I do think he definitely needs to add strength too. Barlow will be back and then we should get Small and Padgett back as far as LHP go. We should add a LHP in the offseason if we can or at least make it a priority because relying on guys coming back from arm surgery is less than ideal. A JUCO guy would probably suffice since we’re talking about a LOOGY here.

Tanner Allen actually projects more as a second baseman than anything as far as pro ball goes, but as far as college he can play second/third or the OF. I think he will play in the outfield for us at least until Stovall leaves. He’s your typical LSU-type of recruit that can come in and be serviceable as a freshman and start right away and will be an All-SEC type of guy as a junior. IMO he’s the most likely player to start for us as a freshman. Westburg is a 6’2” third base type of guy and if LA doesn’t hit better and Bragg doesn’t start to practice better Westburg could very well start for us at third base. By the time he is a junior I think he will be a 10 home run guy for us. Both are more than likely coming to school next year.

Blaylock could be the next Renfroe/Rooker for us- a guy that redshirts that has a lot of tools and as he gains experience becomes an All-American type of player for us. I know Renfroe didn’t redshirt but you get what I’m saying. He struggled at the plate but he also showed off his speed and his arm this year and he is actually one of our best outfielders defensively- maybe second or third best on the team but his bat hasn’t quite come around yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Chucklelips View Post
    Last I saw, Allen was ranked 155 on PG. Westburg at 223. However, we have the following that are ranked ahead of them. I'm sure there will be a few that we won't ever see.

PG Rank
    9 Troy Bacon
    14 John Mason
    26 Quinton Holmes
    28 Pearson McMahon
    51 Jordon Anderson
    80 Chad Bryant
    99 Bryson Hutchinson
    135 Josh Hatcher
    144 Owen Lovell
    155 Tanner Allen
    223 Jordan Westburg
    Mason has battled injuries. I'm not sure what we'll get out of him and he's a total wildcard to me. Will more than likely be Hayden Marze 2.0. Holmes is not coming to school. McMahon probably isn't. Bacon might but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes pro. Bacon, McMahan, and Rey Riviera could be immediate impact JUCO's for us. It would be huge to get any of those three. Jared Liebelt is a JUCO pitcher that I think will come in and help our bullpen out right away too. He has a lower 3/4 arm slot that reminds me a little bit of Justin Pigott and I could see him eating innings up for us if we have a starter that struggles. Cameron Voss is a wild card to me- I'm not sure how he will translate from that JUCO league to the SEC.

The rest I think we have a very good chance of getting into school. Anderson and Hutchinson would be the biggest risks but as of now I like where we stand. Get back to me on Weds and I'll let you know how I feel then. Bryant, Hatcher, Allen, Westburg, and Lovell are about 90% coming to school.

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    Article on Quinton Holmes. Read it carefully and slowly. It will be the last time you see his name and Mississippi State together.

http://nypost.com/2017/06/10/meet-th...-up-mlb-draft/

vCash
    Alaskan Baseball League- Elijah MacNamee

We will probably have fewer players playing this summer because of injuries. It may increase later on as guys like Noah Hughes, Jared Padgett, and Ethan Small are cleared to pitch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Chucklelips View Post
    Article on Quinton Holmes. Read it carefully and slowly. It will be the last time you see his name and Mississippi State together.

http://nypost.com/2017/06/10/meet-th...-up-mlb-draft/
    Even he did come, he'd probably get hurt and have to spend the rest of his time here to rehab his injury so he could go late in the draft.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Even he did come, he'd probably get hurt and have to spend the rest of his time here to rehab his injury so he could go late in the draft.
    Minime is gone and I don't think we will have these injury problems under Cann. Look no further then us shutting down Riley Self for the summer. You probably will see more of these type of precautions in the future under Cann.

vCash
    Alaskan Baseball League- Elijah MacNamee

We will probably have fewer players playing this summer because of injuries. It may increase later on as guys like Noah Hughes, Jared Padgett, and Ethan Small are cleared to pitch.
    I project MacNamee to be one of our best hitters next year. He improved every game this year. His power numbers should increase big time.

vCash

Team USA- Pilkington

Sitting out- Self.

Alexander is going to the Cape? Hopefully he greatly improves this summer.

vCash
    There was an article out a few weeks ago about McMahon hitting 101 on the gun.

Hopefully we can get him on campus.

vCash
    Tanner Allen --> Bethesda Big Train
    Brant Blaylock --> Florida League (bolts)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by louisvilledawg View Post
    There was an article out a few weeks ago about McMahon hitting 101 on the gun.

Hopefully we can get him on campus.
    You sure you aren't thinking of Nate Pearson? He's the top JUCO arm.