Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ok so let's talk starting rotation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    We have to win game one.
    Everybody that has eliminated Ole Miss in a Super Regional disagrees with this statement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Smoot, The reason Plumlee isn't starting is Bc he did so bad as a starter after a strong OOC start, that he lost his job. Now, he's our best long reliever, and has been getting us out of jams....why would you take him out of a role he is excelling at, and put him back into a role that he lost due to performance? Makes no sense. Plus, as a long reliever you can use him multiple games if needed.
    2 of his last 3 starts were the following lines:

6 IP 5 H 0 ER 1 BB 6 K
    3 IP 1 H 0 ER 2 BB 4 K

The other start was one in which he was pulled after 0.1 IP because he allowed 2 H and 2 BB. Obviously that is not a good start, but it's also a quick pull, and his other 2 starts there were very good. Before those, he had one really bad start, one mediocre one, and 3 very good ones.

So if he lost his job due to performance, I would argue that it was premature and he was never given an opportunity to win it back, despite our struggles in finding consistent SP. He's been good in relief, I'm not arguing that, but like I showed, his overall performance as a SP was even better. I want to maximize the innings of our best pitchers, and that happens by starting them. If we don't want to start Self because we don't think he'll be as effective there, that's fine. But Plumlee has shown he can be at least as effective in that role, so I want to go that route. Because our other option is McQuary, who has been worse than Plumlee was. So if Plumlee lost his job due to performance, it is past time for McQuary to lose his.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    It is clear as day. But you're looking out the wrong window. A window covered in mud.
    You hate walks more than anything and you're advocating for the guy that walked the bases loaded 8 more times than Plumlee and has an ERA that is more than double Plumlee's in the same amount of innings as starting pitchers. That's not eight more walks that's walking the entire bases full eight more times than Plumlee. 35 walks compared to just 12 walks. You asking for the pitcher that walks everybody in the lineup 3 times over is kinda like C34 advocating for Stansbury to be our next basketball coach or Hevesy as our next football coach. Just sayin. Denver walks a lot of dudes. A whole bunch of them. A lot of times.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Ok I'll do this...61 and smoot I'll put this in one response since you both have gone in together all in. While I respect your fandom opinion and ability to read stats neither one of you seem to grasp that this isn't about stats. I apparently can't explain it to you 2 so I'll leave it alone. You won't change what I'm saying because I'm right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    2 of his last 3 starts were the following lines:

6 IP 5 H 0 ER 1 BB 6 K
    3 IP 1 H 0 ER 2 BB 4 K

The other start was one in which he was pulled after 0.1 IP because he allowed 2 H and 2 BB. Obviously that is not a good start, but it's also a quick pull, and his other 2 starts there were very good. Before those, he had one really bad start, one mediocre one, and 3 very good ones.

So if he lost his job due to performance, I would argue that it was premature and he was never given an opportunity to win it back, despite our struggles in finding consistent SP. He's been good in relief, I'm not arguing that, but like I showed, his overall performance as a SP was even better. I want to maximize the innings of our best pitchers, and that happens by starting them. If we don't want to start Self because we don't think he'll be as effective there, that's fine. But Plumlee has shown he can be at least as effective in that role, so I want to go that route. Because our other option is McQuary, who has been worse than Plumlee was. So if Plumlee lost his job due to performance, it is past time for McQuary to lose his.
    Could be a deal like we had with Trevor Fitz. Maybe McQuary does ok starting out but is not great out of the pen. If you need 2-4 innings out of McQ then maybe Canny thinks it is better at the beginning of the game. At this point, I am not going to second guess Canny too much. I am not sure I would want any other college coach in our dugout this weekend. We will see how he builds a program but I don't think there is anyone that could get this team playing like they are right now.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    Ok I'll do this...61 and smoot I'll put this in one response since you both have gone in together all in. While I respect your fandom opinion and ability to read stats neither one of you seem to grasp that this isn't about stats. I apparently can't explain it to you 2 so I'll leave it alone. You won't change what I'm saying because I'm right.
    It's all good brother we all are just nitpicking on a 3rd starter at this point. We will need both Denver and Plumlee at their best this weekend along with all of our pitchers to advance. No more Cole Gordon melting on the mound performances by any of them.

vCash
    Pilk in game 1 followed by TBA per Cann on periscope just now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by runwildjerious View Post
    Pilk in game 1 followed by TBA per Cann on periscope just now.
    Pilk is probably our only chance in game 1. Anyone else on the mound would just be trying to get to game 2 & 3.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Could be a deal like we had with Trevor Fitz. Maybe McQuary does ok starting out but is not great out of the pen. If you need 2-4 innings out of McQ then maybe Canny thinks it is better at the beginning of the game. At this point, I am not going to second guess Canny too much. I am not sure I would want any other college coach in our dugout this weekend. We will see how he builds a program but I don't think there is anyone that could get this team playing like they are right now.
    McQuary has been more effective out of the pen than starting this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Pilk is probably our only chance in game 1. Anyone else on the mound would just be trying to get to game 2 & 3.
    This is why I think you have to go with Pilkington in Game 1. We can't afford to essentially concede any game in a 3-game series, and going with anyone else is basically doing that. It also allows you the best chance to rest your pen for game 1 and have everybody ready to go in the next 2.

vCash
    1. Pilk
    2. not pilk
    3. not pilk

We got out of the regional by not starting him game 1, but it damn near cost us. Let's don't f*ck up the start of this series too. Pilk is our best overall guy and will have plenty of rest. He starts game 1 which may also give us the opportunity to use him an inning or so in game 3 if needed.