Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok so let's talk starting rotation

vCash

Ok so let's talk starting rotation

I say:

Game 1: Billingsley
    Game 2: Pilk
    Game 3: Plumlee

First off, I want Pilk to be the guy deciding our season. If we lose game 1, he gets to try and keep us from being eliminated. If we win game 1, he gets to be the horse we try and ride to Omaha.

Second, I think it's obvious Gordon is no longer a viable option to start. McQuary is too inconsistent. Plumlee has done well and I think deserves the chance to start. Now if you have to have him in game 1 or 2, you use him and we can still go back to him game 3.

Thoughts?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    I say:

Game 1: Billingsley
    Game 2: Pilk
    Game 3: Plumlee

First off, I want Pilk to be the guy deciding our season. If we lose game 1, he gets to try and keep us from being eliminated. If we win game 1, he gets to be the horse we try and ride to Omaha.

Second, I think it's obvious Gordon is no longer a viable option to start. McQuary is too inconsistent. Plumlee has done well and I think deserves the chance to start. Now if you have to have him in game 1 or 2, you use him and we can still go back to him game 3.

Thoughts?
    Pilk is probably going game 1 since he has had the most rest and we will need our best to go against the LSU ace. McQ did a good enough job with Plumlee backing him. I would probably leave McQ starting since we know Plumlee is good out of the pen but you never can tell how that affects a pitcher. Billingsley definitely earned the last start.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    I would throw Pilk game 1 and Plumlee game 2. Billingsley had a great outing, but he had a ton of balls that were crushed right at people all night. I think Plumlee has better stuff and is more likely to get LSU out consistently.

vCash
    Game one- McQuary followed by Plumlee.
    Game two- Pilkington
    Game three- Billingsley

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    I would throw Pilk game 1 and Plumlee game 2. Billingsley had a great outing, but he had a ton of balls that were crushed right at people all night. I think Plumlee has better stuff and is more likely to get LSU out consistently.
    This is what I do as well, and go with Billingsley Game 3. You hope you win Game 1 without using much of your pen so you can be prepared to use whoever you need to win 1 more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Game two- Pilkington
    Game three- Billingsley
    I would prefer ^this^, but I think Andy will go...

Pilk
    McQuary followed by Plumlee
    Billingsley

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Pilk, Denver, Billingsley.

And before some of you get your thongs in a wad up over your head it's just because with the way we finished the regional it's about all we can do due to rest. If we get the Saturday game 1 we get a little bit of latitude but not much.

If Oregon state is Saturday we are Saturday. Goes off how the one seed is bracketed for cws.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    And I want Pilk going in game 1 because he's our ace and the environment. I'm sorry but I can't trust they won't eat Denver alive in the first inning of a game 1. Then we are in just a smidge of trouble.

vCash
    Whatever Cann and Henderson thinks is best!

Non of you guys stay as much at the Holiday Inn Express than I do!

Game one is critical, you go with your best lineup, so Pilk will start.

vCash
    I like the idea scientifically, but there's no way we don't throw our Ace in game one. Anything else and overthinking will doom us.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Game 1 - Pilk
    Game 2 - Billingsley (He's earned the right to throw that game) followed by Plumlee
    Game 3 - McQuary followed by Gordon followed by everybody

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    Pilk, Denver, Billingsley.

And before some of you get your thongs in a wad up over your head it's just because with the way we finished the regional it's about all we can do due to rest. If we get the Saturday game 1 we get a little bit of latitude but not much.

If Oregon state is Saturday we are Saturday. Goes off how the one seed is bracketed for cws.
    It's Sat night .. and agree it's Pilk game one and it's not even an argument.. the other games is whoever Cann sees in that crystal ball of his..

vCash
    Our chances this weekend might depend on whether price is back for real or not. Here's the good in regional play: 4.1 ip 2 h 1 er 0 bb. Those look great, but here's the bad: 1 k in 4.1 ip. Not sure how sustainable his good work is if he can't miss bats. Really need similar results from him this weekend... esp his 3.0 ip last night

vCash
    Pilk
    McQuary
    Billingsley

Just because Billingsley had a Gordon game, doesn't mean he's all of a sudden the man. Might switch up the last two depending on how game 1 went, but Pilk is game 1 all the way. Now, if we can just stop pulling off every damn thing at the plate and stay through the ball, we can scare LSU shitless.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    I just don't know if I want Denver starting in a Game 2. His last 4 starts he's walked 5 guys in each of them. That won't cut it. Truth is we don't have a #2 guy so it's just grasping at straws so I say go with the guy who pitched the best last time out & that's Billingsley.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Game two- Pilkington
    Game three- Billingsley
    Winner.

vCash
    If it were me I'd go:

JB
    Pilk
    Mcq on a short least with Plumlee waiting to go.

What I think will happen (which is fine AC has pushed all the right buttons all year)

Pilk
    JB
    Mcq/Plumlee

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Game 1 - Pilk
    Game 2 - Billingsley (He's earned the right to throw that game) followed by Plumlee
    Game 3 - McQuary followed by Gordon followed by everybody
    The problem with this for me is that if you don't finish it off in 2, you're in serious trouble for Game 3. McQuary and Gordon both struggle to throw strikes and miss bats. I want Plumlee and Billingsley both starting, and you determine who comes in behind them based on what is happening in the game.

I don't really understand the hesitancy in starting Plumlee over McQuary. Here are their overall numbers:
    McQuary - 54 IP, 4.67 ERA, 6.7 K/9, 7.8 BB/9, 1.61 WHIP
    Plumlee - 72.1 IP, 3.61 ERA, 6.7 K/9, 3.7 BB/9, 1.37 WHIP

As a SP (both with 8 starts):
    McQuary - 35 IP, 5.66 ERA, 27 K/35 BB
    Plumlee - 35 IP, 2.57 ERA, 28 K/12 BB

Last 5 appearances:
    McQuary - 23.2 IP, 5.70 ERA, 15 K/21 BB
    Plumlee - 15 IP, 3.60 ERA, 12 K/5 BB

I want our best pitchers to maximize their innings. Plumlee is better than McQuary, he has been better as a starter, and he has been better recently. I just don't see why we would start McQuary. You're guaranteeing yourself that he will have to struggle to get through innings while minimizing the impact of baserunners. I would rather have him available if necessary but to go with Plumlee and let him try to get you through at least 5-6 IP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    I just don't know if I want Denver starting in a Game 2. His last 4 starts he's walked 5 guys in each of them. That won't cut it. Truth is we don't have a #2 guy so it's just grasping at straws so I say go with the guy who pitched the best last time out & that's Billingsley.
    Good points, but you have to take in consideration that before last night Billingsley had only gone 5 innings once plus he threw about 125 pitches last night.

Tough decision who starts after Pilk, but someone seems to step up lately.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Good points, but you have to take in consideration that before last night Billingsley had only gone 5 innings once plus he threw about 125 pitches last night.

Tough decision who starts after Pilk, but someone seems to step up lately.
    True, but the 5 ip was his previous start. He's gone 5 and 9 in last 2