Thread: The new NCAA matrix ??

vCash

The new NCAA matrix ??

I googled the date the new NCAA matrix was public and I found the earliest date was June 9th 2013. My question I guess, would all of OM's violations prior to June 9th 2013 fall under the old penalty matrix and all after that date fall under the new matrix?

vCash
    I'd have to say, no.

vCash
    I guess it'll depend on their interpretation of their own system, which doesn't have much precedent at this point, so no telling really. Either way, I doubt they'll end up sticking to the letter of the law of the penalty matrix because a 2 year death penalty would likely be a much kinder fate if they did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodaski View Post
    I googled the date the new NCAA matrix was public and I found the earliest date was June 9th 2013. My question I guess, would all of OM's violations prior to June 9th 2013 fall under the old penalty matrix and all after that date fall under the new matrix?

The matrix actually went into effect on August 1, 2013. On the NCAA site it just says that it replaces the old matrix system, but it doesn't say how violations prior to will be handled.
    Last edited by yjnkdawg; 06-05-2017 at 11:25 AM.

vCash
    Actually the new infraction structure and matrix were known publucally as early as 2011 and the breakdown was given to the media and public in Jan 2012. Aug 2013 was just the date it would start, obviously. In 2012 when speaking about the matrix the NCAA stated: "These proposed guidelines may set a range of penalties that the COI could impose in a given situation. They desire to find an appropriate balance in recommending any core penalties or penalty ranges, to allow the COI sufficient discretion while also assuring stronger and more predictable consequences."

There was an overlap of when investigations started and if they would in whole or in partial fall under the old structure or new. But in general any case processed after Aug 2013 would fall under the new matrix with some exceptions depending on when the violation occurred. But I think even that window has closed for UNM and everything for them will be under the new structure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodaski View Post
    Per Steve:

As I understand it, the charges under Nutt, the ed center and ACT fraud will be sanctioned under the old penalty matrix. Anything that took place during Freeze's watch, will be sanctioned under the new one.
    I am not sure how they split the hair to be honest. It will be an interesting decision.

vCash
    The old penalty matrix was nothing more than an arbitrary, random sentencing established on a case by case basis as the COI saw fit to impose. The new matrix is an attempt to appear more transparent in that it provides a basic structure of penalties as they relate to the charges.

I don't see how a portion of the NOA can be reviewed by the COI using the old arbitrary matrix and the remainder of the NOA be judged based on the new matrix. In the end it may not matter one bit how the allegations are judged, because Ole Miss should get the most severe penalties short of the death penalty available to the COI.

If I'm on the COI and I sit down and focus on the entire NOA, amendments included, with a totally unbiased view point then my eyes are bugging out of my head at the aggravated and premeditated way OleMiss chose to do business in the face of the NCAA. I'm appalled at quantity of infractions and the level of involvement the OM coaching staff all the way up to the Asst Athletic Director. I'd have a hard time not throwing the book at them. THEN if I went back and looked at the women's basketball & track infractions I'd be apt to shut the whole athletic program down and force them close the doors for a year or two until they could prove they were capable of putting a compliant program on campus.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeDawg View Post
    The old penalty matrix was nothing more than an arbitrary, random sentencing established on a case by case basis as the COI saw fit to impose. The new matrix is an attempt to appear more transparent in that it provides a basic structure of penalties as they relate to the charges.

I don't see how a portion of the NOA can be reviewed by the COI using the old arbitrary matrix and the remainder of the NOA be judged based on the new matrix. In the end it may not matter one bit how the allegations are judged, because Ole Miss should get the most severe penalties short of the death penalty available to the COI.

If I'm on the COI and I sit down and focus on the entire NOA, amendments included, with a totally unbiased view point then my eyes are bugging out of my head at the aggravated and premeditated way OleMiss chose to do business in the face of the NCAA. I'm appalled at quantity of infractions and the level of involvement the OM coaching staff all the way up to the Asst Athletic Director. I'd have a hard time not throwing the book at them. THEN if I went back and looked at the women's basketball & track infractions I'd be apt to shut the whole athletic program down and force them close the doors for a year or two until they could prove they were capable of putting a compliant program on campus.
    I think that will be the committee members' take as well as remember, these members are among the highest ranking leaders and professionals around the country as opposed to a member of the "good old boy network" that can administer a slap on the wrist and succumb to an under-the-table bribe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSOPdawg View Post
    I think that will be the committee members' take as well as remember, these members are among the highest ranking leaders and professionals around the country as opposed to a member of the "good old boy network" that can administer a slap on the wrist and succumb to an under-the-table bribe.
    Agreed. When the rot starts from the core and works its way out of numerous veins associated within the program those are serious institutional problems. When the Asst Athletic Director is in a position to gain information from the coaching staff, head coach included on which recruits have been evaluated and which one's are wanted/needed for the team and he then proceeds to systematically match Boosters with recruits, organize contact between both parties and goes on to aid in providing impermissible benefits; those actions are deplorable.

Barney made sure the "right" Boosters were organized and placed with the "right" recruits. Barney made sure the funds funneled in from the Booster network and made available when the time was right. Barney made sure once the recruits signed that the family was taken care of, i.e. momma's rent and power bill got paid, step-daddy got is pocket money, player got reliable transportation free of charge.
    Last edited by LockeDawg; 06-05-2017 at 04:16 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSOPdawg View Post
    That is a good point and I agree. But there are also 4 appointed attorneys as well as members with law degrees among this diverse group. Anyone who has had to deal with bylaws and member organizations and the attorneys on these committees know they will look very very closely at the legislation, rules and interpretation, and case history before letting the committee violate the rules in place. That's why I just can't see the death penalty being discussed at this time. Not with the information we do know.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    That is a good point and I agree. But there are also 4 appointed attorneys as well as members with law degrees among this diverse group. Anyone who has had to deal with bylaws and member organizations and the attorneys on these committees know they will look very very closely at the legislation, rules and interpretation, and case history before letting the committee violate the rules in place. That's why I just can't see the death penalty being discussed at this time. Not with the information we do know.
    I agree with what you said but the matrix does provide a tremendous amount of coverage for inflicting massive damage on OM for their 21 level one infractions. What I have said is that even if they are not officially under the repeat violator status it would be easy for the COI to create a situation where DP is preferable to the penalties levied.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    I agree with what you said but the matrix does provide a tremendous amount of coverage for inflicting massive damage on OM for their 21 level one infractions. What I have said is that even if they are not officially under the repeat violator status it would be easy for the COI to create a situation where DP is preferable to the penalties levied.
    The school isn't facing 21 infractions. The infractions by individuals are included in that number. Only the infractions directly levied against the school will the program matrix penalties apply. ULL case had 4 infractions but the school only had 1 against them that they had to deal with. The matrix was not applied to them for the 3 infractions directly relating to Saunders.