Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My guess on OM sanctions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bdfan09 View Post
    The m*****f***** is gone! Old Mrs. will be obliterated from the planet! There will not be enough players on scholarship to field a team for the next 5 years. They are done!
    Funny you say it that way. That is precisely the way smu decided to self impose the dp.

They could have played, but the sanctions would have been dangerous for the remaining players bc of a he players that transferred.

I think the NCAA really imposes just enough to allow for the attrition of the entire team.

vCash
    It's funny that they could lose the equivalent of a while signing class, 2 bowls, and their head coach and half this board will be griping. Manage expectations people.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    2 year bowl ban
    3 years probation
    24 schollies over 3 years.
    The first NOA warrants this....

vCash
    DP

I'll be surprised a little if not actually
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    It's a moving target. They won't stop cheating long enough for us to tally up the penalties.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    It's funny that they could lose the equivalent of a while signing class, 2 bowls, and their head coach and half this board will be griping. Manage expectations people.
    My point exactly. The sanctions I mentioned are program crippling. Anything above that is gravy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi's Babies View Post
    Has any viewed a copy of freezus contract? Will a "show cause" get Om out of paying off his buy out? I have heard that Freezus is going to stick it to OM....

A show cause would definitely do it. I believe it is if any NCAA violations committed by Freeze will get them out of the buyout, because that shoudl justify cause for termination. So when the COI rules and Freeze is levied with NCAA violatuions, then OM could fire him with no buyout. Not sure they go that route though, because he may still know where some unmarked bodies are still buried.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DancingRabbit View Post
    It's a moving target. They won't stop cheating long enough for us to tally up the penalties.

This pic is pure gold. Needs to be saved for judgment day.

vCash
    If you go by the matrix... a thing that is not supposed to be optional or arbitrary...you are talking about at least 15 Level 1 violations, perhaps a couple reduced to Mitigated, but also at least a couple increased to Aggravated.

So let's just say we average it out to 15 level 1's, standard. The matrix calls for 1-2 years bowl ban for each one. Technically speaking that's 15-30 years! Don't see how they could actually impose that. The matrix includes the phrase, "Competition penalties may be used singularly or in combination". I'm guessing that means the same as being able to sentence a convict "concurrently", meaning they could limit the total number of years. But how much less could they go?

The matrix also stipulates scholarship reductions of 12.5-to-25% per level 1. The NCAA allows 25 per year, subject to a maximum of 85 at any given time for a team not under penalty. My math says that's a total of approximately 3-6 per year per Level 1 violation, for a total of 45-90 total scholarships! I see nothing in the matrix that allows for any deviation. It looks like the only remedy is for UNM to convince the COI a huge chunk of these Level 1's should be greatly reduced or dismissed.

In case the scholarship reduction percentage is supposed to be taken against the max total of 85, you're looking at 11-21 reduced scholarships per Level 1...which would then be 165 - 330 for 15 level 1's. But I suspect it's the former.

But how does the NCAA actually handle this? How do you take away as many scholarships as the matrix appears to call for in this case...extending the years? But how many years can you extend, say 17 scholarships a year before the Dp is better? Mathematically, if it's 45-90 and we go for the middle, that's about 68, so it looks like they'd have to take 17 away per year for 4 years.

Then how do you handle the bowl ban? Just can't see how they could impose 15 years. Again, DP would be much better.

I realize this sounds steep, but it's not even considering a couple of Level 2's and some level 3's that are required to be considered. Now consider...by the stipulation of the matrix, it could technically be even worse.

It does seem to make a real case for the DP, as the way the matrix is set up, the maximum punishment would be worse than a 2 year DP.
    Last edited by blacklistedbully; 06-03-2017 at 02:20 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blacklistedbully View Post
    If you go by the matrix... a thing that is not supposed to be optional or arbitrary...you are talking about at least 15 Level 1 violations, perhaps a couple reduced to Mitigated, but also at least a couple increased to Aggravated.

So let's just say we average it out to 15 level 1's, standard. The matrix calls for 1-2 years bowl ban for each one. Technically speaking that's 15-30 years! Don't see how they could actually impose that. The matrix includes the phrase, "Competition penalties may be used singularly or in combination". I'm guessing that means the same as being able to sentence a convict "concurrently", meaning they could limit the total number of years. But how much less could they go?

The matrix also stipulates scholarship reductions of 12.5-to-25% per level 1. The NCAA allows 25 per year, subject to a maximum of 85 at any given time for a team not under penalty. My math says that's a total of approximately 3-6 per year per Level 1 violation, for a total of 45-90 total scholarships per year! I see nothing in the matrix that allows for any deviation. It looks like the only remedy is for UNM to convince the COI a huge chunk of these Level 1's should be greatly reduced or dismissed.

Editing this in case the scholarship reduction percentage is supposed to be taken against max total of 85, in which case, you're looking at 11-21 reduced scholarships per Level 1...which would then be 165 - 330 for 15 level 1's.

But how does the NCAA actually handle this? How do you take away as many scholarships as the matrix appears to call for in this case...extending the years? But how many years can you extend, say 15 scholarships a year before the Dp is better? Mathematically, it looks like they'd have to take 15 away per year for at least 11 years to meet the matrix minimum.

Then how do you handle the bowl ban? Just can't see how they could impose 15 years. Again, DP would be much better.

I realize this sounds steep, but it's not even considering a couple of Level 2's and some level 3's that are required to be considered. Now consider...by the stipulation of the matrix, it could technically be even worse.

No way that's gonna happen, but it does seem to make a real case for the DP, as the way the matrix is set up, the maximum punishment would be worse than a 2-3 year DP.
    Great breakdown.

What people need to realize is that we are SUPPOSED TO BE in a new era of NCAA infractions due to the penalty matrix.

This is the first large case under the new matrix, so what happens?

Is the NCAA going to abide by the matrix?

Will the NCAA mitigate numerous penalties to make the punishment fit?

Or will the NCAA just give the death penalty and eliminate the necessity of having to abide by the matrix?

These are real questions. I don't think OM gets the death penalty, but, the alternative could be argued is worse than the death penalty?

Will the NCAA look for a way out?

These are real questions
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Manage expectations also sounds like a slogan for losers in life. If Mullen decided to "manage expectations" we'd be pissed.

What's the risk? That OM fans are going to laugh at us after their program is decimated?!? You are worried about the opinion of people whose opinions don't matter. Their cooked!!! Read the matrix.

Great breakdown Black. This is what I've been SCREAMING for over a year. DP would be the most merciful thing the NCAA could do without destroying their credibility.
    Last edited by Reason2succeed; 06-03-2017 at 12:32 AM.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    Manage expectations also sounds like a slogan for losers in life. If Mullen decided to "manage expectations" we'd be pissed.

What's the risk? That OM fans are going to laugh at us after their program is decimated?!? You are worried about the opinion of people whose opinions don't matter. Their cooked!!! Read the matrix.

Great breakdown Black. This is what I've been SCREAMING for over a year. DP would be the most merciful thing the NCAA could do without destroying their credibility.
    Only other thing I can think of at the moment is if the new penalty matrix means the 25% reduction is only against the 25 per year allowed, and only applied to 1 year per violation.

If that's the case, the 25% of 25 is about 6 scholarships lost per violation. If they applied 2 level one violations per year + the level 2's mixed in for good measure, that would mean about 13 scholarships lost every year for 7 years.

Let's say their lawyers are phenomenally successful, and get a third of the Level 1's reduced to Level 2's. The resulting penalties would still be the most devastating since SMU, and much worse than what USC got.

They are in big, big trouble.
    Last edited by blacklistedbully; 06-03-2017 at 01:36 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    Funny you say it that way. That is precisely the way smu decided to self impose the dp.

Eventually some adults will take over at OM and realize they can't trust Bjork and Freeze to do what's in the best interest of the university. As bad as it looks I would argue it is better to take one or two years off than to be decimated for 10 years. I don't think many people are realizing how bad the fallout could be from this many sanctions. Yes, DP is almost unprecedented but so are the number of infractions.

They could have played, but the sanctions would have been dangerous for the remaining players bc of a he players that transferred.

Freeze is already in spin mode talking about post season bans because as soon as sanctions come down his desk (in the unlikely event that he is still employed) will be swamped with transfer requests. Who wants to spend their entire collegiate career on probation with no chance at a postseason? With the number of scholarship reductions that the matrix calls for it would be dangerous to field a team. Players would almost have to play both ways on offense, defense and special teams and the players they will have will already be below the actual talent level of the rest of the SEC.

I think the NCAA really imposes just enough to allow for the attrition of the entire team.

But how do they do this without losing credibility? If the NCAA lightens the penalty then the playbook for every team under investigation will be to cheat enough to make it worth it knowing that the NCAA will reach a point that they are afraid to punish. I believe that Mark Emmert will call a press Conference and remind everyone that collegiate sports is a privilege not a right. OM operated with a false sense of entitlement and now that privilege will be taken away for a short period of time so that they can reorganize their football program the right way.
    There has never been a time when the NCAA needed to show their strength more than now. After the Penn State scandal, the Baylor scandal, UNC, Miami, USC, and the Louisville scandal the NCAA needs to send a powerful message to stop the corruption in collegiate athletics or they willlose all control and credibility. OM has put themselves in position to be the example.
    Last edited by Reason2succeed; 06-03-2017 at 07:33 AM.

vCash

Cool

Don't forget David Saunders and his 3 stints at OM....

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/s...ach/326010001/

The NCAA Committee on Infractions found Saunders helped five recruits receive fraudulent ACT scores at Wayne County High, lied to the NCAA about his involvement and failed to cooperate with an investigation. He also gave a total of $6,500 to a player over two semesters while at Louisiana-Lafayette, the committee said.Saunders received an eight-year show-cause, which requires an NCAA institution that intends to hire him before Jan. 11, 2024 to argue before a panel why he should be hired without restriction. He joined Louisiana-Lafayette?s coaching staff in January 2011 after his third stint at Ole Miss.

Ole Miss became linked to the investigation when NCAA enforcement staff interviewed Saunders on Dec. 16, 2013 about ?events that took place while that assistant was employed? elsewhere, according to the Committee on Infractions? report, which added a football player ?that institution recruited? was also part of the interview. (NCAA was already at OM)

?During the interviews, the enforcement staff believed the former assistant football coach may have known of or may have been involved in NCAA rules violations concerning academic issues while at another member institution,? the Committee on Infractions? report read.
    After reading this article I would have several questions as to where some of the OM players took their ACT test. Lets not leave out the Education Center....

Where are all the former Om coaches and ath. department employees now.....
    Last edited by Mimi's Babies; 06-03-2017 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Fun times coming....

vCash
    I hear what you're saying and agree ... I didn't even see the DP option listed on the matrix

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    I hear what you're saying and agree ... I didn't even see the DP option listed on the matrix
    The question is, if the matrix indicates a larger scholarship reduction than is possible, then does that mean they have little choice than the death penalty?

UNM will take any penalty that is not the DP, because the DP would possibly get them kicked out of the SEC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post
    The question is, if the matrix indicates a larger scholarship reduction than is possible, then does that mean they have little choice than the death penalty?

UNM will take any penalty that is not the DP, because the DP would possibly get them kicked out of the SEC.
    Will the SEC tolerate OM playing at SWAC level for ten years?

vCash
    I will be fascinating to see how the COI tallies up the sanctions.

In the past, they just kind of handed down an agreed upon amount that "seemed reasonable" per the violations.

However new matrix should make the deciding upon sanctions more like checking out at the super market.

$2.50 for eggs
    $1.50 for break
    $2.50 for bread

It should be a much more intemized, objective process. With 21 level 1 violations, that's a disaster for OM.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    I don't believe they get kicked out of the SEC for anything less than the DP. The DP gives the SEC an excuse; "We have to have another team to play so we are dropping UNM and adding NC State, Oklahoma, etc."

If they are just playing horrible because of lost schollys, then they stay. On top of everything else, the conference won't want to set a precedent of kicking someone out over probation.

vCash
    Vandy has been playing at that level forever