Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Hattiesburg Regional

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Barkman Turner Overdrive View Post
    What about Rigby? It was rumored he would be back for post season.
    Had been throwing bullpens at the end of the year and that was going to determine whether he came back or not. I'm assuming they didn't go well since we haven't seen him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I agree.

Is it official that we're starting Cole Gordon Gsme 1? I saw Todd mention it, but is that just hearsay, or is it being discussed as if official?
    Not official but Cann said "Cole Gordon will pitch one of the first two games."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Not official but Cann said "Cole Gordon will pitch one of the first two games."
    Piilk is going to start game one. We aren't playing the bad news bears. Doing otherwise is a huge roll of the dice and really stupid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Piilk is going to start game one. We aren't playing the bad news bears. Doing otherwise is a huge roll of the dice and really stupid.
    Agree, we also ain't the 27 New York Yankees.

South Al and Usm have good teams, this is a tough region. Have not a clue bout the Chicago team.

vCash
    After Pilk it's kinda like that box of chocolates, you never know what you get.

Let's hope our bats wake up as Usm's park is a hitters park.

vCash
    If u start Cole and lose game 1, you have to be disciplined enough to not start KP in game 2 vs UIC. Few coaches can do this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    If u start Cole and lose game 1, you have to be disciplined enough to not start KP in game 2 vs UIC. Few coaches can do this.
    I'd start plumlee. Plumlee has faced them twice...

8.1 ip 6 h 1 er 3 bb 8 k

It's certainly a risky move, but I think we have to take risks when we essentially have 2 pitchers that are trump cards

vCash
    Yep. You are playing to win the regional, not one game. Finishing 2nd or 4th in the regional is no different

vCash
    I don't think it's stupid necessarily. You have to view games 1 and 2 together: if you lose either you are in the exact same place-having to go 4-1 to win the regional. You pitch games 1 and 2 in a manner that gives you the best chance to win both.

vCash
    Cann said a cpl weeks ago that the bullpen with Rigby didn't go well and he's done for the year.

Is Price done also?

vCash
    All I know is Cole pitched his ass off his last time out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Anybody able to break down South Alabama and USM? Give us an idea of who we will likely face on the hill...Lefty or Righty
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I'd start plumlee. Plumlee has faced them twice...

8.1 ip 6 h 1 er 3 bb 8 k

It's certainly a risky move, but I think we have to take risks when we essentially have 2 pitchers that are trump cards
    The Plum is going to be critical to victory, he appears to me a resilient kid. After the Ole Miss start he did not sulk, he found a new way to contribute

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldsleeve Jr. View Post
    Cann said a cpl weeks ago that the bullpen with Rigby didn't go well and he's done for the year.

Is Price done also?
    The Price "Dead Arm" is blowing my mind, did he play in the spring football game and get sacked?. i almost can't believe how snake bit we are. We have a decades worth of freak injury in 2017

Outside of the TJs...

(1) Ashcraft and a groin
    (2) Marze (who is a TJ survivor) and a labrum
    (3) Rigby and a groin
    (4) Mangum and a punched wall
    (5) Cyr and mental illness
    (6) Price gets a dead arm after 29 innings of work

vCash
    Totally disagree. In a normal year with a normal pitching staff you're right....but let's face it, if we don't go 2-0 to start the Regional there's a great chance we lose it Bc of our lack of pitching. So the best way to go 2-0 is take a chance and use our #2 vs the lesser team and hope we get by. Risky? Sure...Dumb? Hardly

I'd rather go down taking our best chance than to lose by bleeding a slow, foreseeable death.
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 05-29-2017 at 11:56 PM.

vCash
    I disagree. We've seen them three times and we know Plumlee can shut them down- he has done so twice. If Plumlee is able to shut them down- Gordon should be able to do so as well. Most of the runs they have scored off of us have been against guys that are not likely to be one of the "six guys" that Cann is talking about pitching. And to me there's no reason to waste Pilkington on someone we will likely beat without throwing our ace. The fact that we have faced them three times and know how they match up makes this less risky. If USM saves McCarty for their second game- I definitely would rather have Pilkington match up against them.

Also, if it doesn't work out- UIC has a really good pitching staff. Pilkington can match up and get us back to the next round.

If Cann did it that way, and it doesn't work out I wouldn't criticize him for it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldsleeve Jr. View Post

Is Price done also?
    I'm assuming that he's not one of the six. Cann has not mentioned the six by name as to not throw anyone under the bus- but I'm guessing that the six are Pilkington, Gordon, McQuary, Self, Plumlee, and Billingsley. I'm guessing that Price might be number seven or eight on the list.

And I do think it's possible if we have a huge 10 run lead or something like that Cann could possibly throw someone outside of the six. Like Brent Rooker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    After Pilk it's kinda like that box of chocolates, you never know what you get.

Let's hope our bats wake up as Usm's park is a hitters park.
    I was at the MSU/USM game in Hattiesburg years ago I think around 2005 where USM jumped out to something like a 12-0 lead in the first inning or two. And then we came back and won 20-12 and I think Brad Jones had a couple of home runs. That was one of the craziest games I've ever seen. Their fans went from running smack on us to cursing their team out in a span of less than an hour.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    The Price "Dead Arm" is blowing my mind, did he play in the spring football game and get sacked?. i almost can't believe how snake bit we are. We have a decades worth of freak injury in 2017

Outside of the TJs...

(1) Ashcraft and a groin
    (2) Marze (who is a TJ survivor) and a labrum
    (3) Rigby and a groin
    (4) Mangum and a punched wall
    (5) Cyr and mental illness
    (6) Price gets a dead arm after 29 innings of work
    It is pretty crazy. And about a year ago I thought 2018 would be a really special year. The silver lining is 2019 I think we have a chance to really elite again- which should be the first year of the opening of the new Dudy Noble Field. And really will be our first "normal" season since 2016 since we've had to deal with the coaching changes and the massive amounts of injuries this year and next year we will only have about 22 home games in 2018. I hope someone had the foresight to play a few of those road games in Pearl and Biloxi but I'm not holding my breath.

We'll have Self, Ashcraft, McQuary as juniors that year and then Small, Padgett, Ford, and Hughes will be RS juniors and should be recovered from Tommy John at that time. Plumlee will be a senior by then and I think the Cole Marsh guy from Mississippi Delta will pitch a lot for us and he will be a junior that year as well I think.

Skelton will be a junior. We'll see how the draft goes between now and then but we could have an infield of Lovell who will be a sophomore, Stovall and LA will be seniors possibly, and then maybe JT Ginn at third base. Ginn will pitch too. I think the OF could be something like Tanner Allen and Jordan Anderson if we get him through the draft who will be sophomores, and then Blaylock will be a RS junior by then.

It probably won't end up like that but if it's in the ballpark that's a really good team.

vCash
    I thought Plumlee was a JC guy? Isn't he a Junior this year? Great news if I'm wrong

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    10% - you have remember that a USM player is somebody we did not want, not even Alabama... you respect they can beat you and play with focus but this is Our State and Our Regional
    It's Southern Miss's Regional, and it's been our State since 1910. we just let you live in it. these snide remarks by your inbred fans are noticed. when or If you get to Baseburg we have a select group of fans who are going to sit behind your dugout and not only rip into your players like a starkville ball players momma rips into a can of potted meat but we will seek you and select fans out to verbally assault until you cry and leave. your fans are going to be hurting more than those 7 injured pitchers you have on the bench. you think you have a chance to even win 1 game when you have no pitching left? you are 2 and toasted oats boys. 2 and toast.