Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hattiesburg Regional

vCash
    Is there a USM message board worth a shit? I'm looking but there's only like 2 posts on the free board at BigGoldBation

vCash
    I know we're shortstaffed and Cann has every built in excuse, but I think we should win this regional. Just my 2 cents

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Interesting to me that USM has chosen to play the early game on Friday. Now we can see if they win/lose and who they pitch before deciding on a starter technically. In my opinion, we should see if they pitch their Ace and if they win or lose before making our decision. If they somehow lose, I think you go ahead and pitch Pilk in game 1 to make sure we win & face Illinois Chicago for a chance at the Regional final. Thoughts?
    Could it be weather concern so they would not have to play a double hitter Saturday?

Also how many wins does it take to win the region?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Back from work thoughts:

I start Cole Gordon is game one and go Pilkington in game two. We have an advantage in knowing how South Alabama and USM are going to play us and we've seen them before. I think I would go Pilkington in game two regardless. UIC has a really good team ERA and we need to stay in the winner's bracket if possible. We need to be able to match up USM's ace if they decide to hold him back in the event that they beat UIC. Start McQuary in game three and then either Plumlee or Billingsley in game four if necessary.

And thinking way ahead if we have to play LSU in a SR and they manage to somehow come out of the regional of death that they were just awarded******* I'd rather throw Gordon vs. Lange and hope for the best in game one and then come back with Pilkington in game two, and if necessary go with McQuary against LSU's third guy.
    In a super against Lsu, I'd throw my 3 game one against Lange, pilk against poche, then my 2 against their 3.

vCash
    Saw this interesting little stat on a South Alabama forum....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    In a super against Lsu, I'd throw my 3 game one against Lange, pilk against poche, then my 2 against their 3.
    I agree

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Could it be weather concern so they would not have to play a double hitter Saturday?

Also how many wins does it take to win the region?
    Yea, I can see a few advantages for sure. Takes 3 wins to win the Regional if you don't lose....4 wins and 5 games if you lose game 1

vCash
    Yea, I can see a few advantages for sure. Takes 3 wins to win the Regional if you don't lose....4 wins and 5 games if you lose game 1
    I feel pretty good about it. We have four solid pitchers. Just get the lead and get into the 7th.

vCash
    I feel pretty good about it. We have four solid pitchers. Just get the lead and get into the 7th.
    I'm hoping after seeing LSU, Ark, and Fla pitching it will look like a beach ball to our hitters seeing USA & USM pitching. But I'm not too confident

vCash
    Thanks man. Who did you guys start on Sat & Sun most of the year? Is Smith or Braley LHP? What is your bullpen like? Thanks for the info, let us know if you have any questions about State
    McCarty is our best arm but we didn't have him on Friday all year. Switched between Fri/Sat. Beginning of the year, he was our Saturday guy then we bumped him to Friday then back to Saturday late in the year.

Smith and Braley are both RHP. Braley started against MSU midweek and got the win. We moved him to the weekend rotation in late April and basically pitched by committee for the remaining midweek games.

The bullpen, particularly middle relief, is probably our biggest weakness. At the backend, you have Nick Sandlin (2.16 ERA/1.18 WHIP) who was nearly unhittable at the beginning of the year (didn't give up an earned run until April 4th) but he struggled a little bit with control later in the year. Sidearmer. He's been pretty good his last few appearances so I'm encouraged with that. Has a really good slider that be can be especially brutal on righties.

Hayden Roberts (4.41 ERA/1.40 WHIP) is our main guy in middle relief. Actually started the year as our Friday guy but we moved him to the pen after a couple of rough starts. Good fastball in the 92-94 range and has a wipeout slider when he's on. Struggles with command sometimes because he will often try to overthrow. Despite some bumps in the road this year, he has a high upside and will probably be drafted by some team this year. If USM has to play a 4th game, he's probably the guy that gets the start (assuming he's rested enough).

JC Keys (5.12 ERA/1.35 WHIP) and Trent Driver (5.70 ERA/1.63 WHIP) are two other guys you'll likely see this week. Keys was our Sunday starter for a good chunk of the year but we moved him to pen. Struggled to throw strikes at times this year but has really come on strong these past few weeks. Gave us a good start midweek vs SELA and had a solid CUSA tourney as well. Has a pretty filthy 12-6 curveball. Driver is a sidearmer who is mostly used in R/R matchups but can be hit pretty hard by teams. Hinds transfer.

Lastly, the wildcard to our pen is Matt Wallner (1.80 ERA/1.00 WHIP). He's the freshman out of the Minneapolis area that has been gotten a ton of press from national writers. Mostly for his hitting (batting .345 with 19 HRs) but he's also logged some innings for us on the mound. We used him mostly at the end of games (usually when Sandlin was unavailable) early in the year but he's been dealing a sore hip since the Ole Miss game in Pearl. Doesn't affect his swing but he's not really 100% on the mound. Don't know his availability for this weekend as the coaching staff is really trying to be careful with him. Faced one batter yesterday and pitched an inning vs FAU in early May. Those are his only appearances since the hip strain.
    Last edited by whataburger; 05-30-2017 at 12:25 AM.

vCash
    Interesting to me that USM has chosen to play the early game on Friday. Now we can see if they win/lose and who they pitch before deciding on a starter technically. In my opinion, we should see if they pitch their Ace and if they win or lose before making our decision. If they somehow lose, I think you go ahead and pitch Pilk in game 1 to make sure we win & face Illinois Chicago for a chance at the Regional final. Thoughts?
    The only reason I could see them choosing the early game is to avoid a possible late night game due to a rain delay. NWS is currently predicting best chances of rain for afternoon and early evening.

vCash
    Is there a USM message board worth a shit? I'm looking but there's only like 2 posts on the free board at BigGoldBation
    "The Perch" is our most active freeboard. EaglePost disbanded and lot of the regulars ended up there.

http://csnbbs.com/forum-447.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whataburger View Post
    "The Perch" is our most active freeboard. EaglePost disbanded and lot of the regulars ended up there.

http://csnbbs.com/forum-447.html
    Thanks man. And thanks for the info in the previous post too

Banned
    vCash
    Is Billingsley going to pitch this weekend? He looked good last time out

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Is Billingsley going to pitch this weekend? He looked good last time out
    Pilk
    Self
    Cole
    Plumlee
    Billingsley
    McQ

That's our 6 pitchers

vCash
    I'm hoping after seeing LSU, Ark, and Fla pitching it will look like a beach ball to our hitters seeing USA & USM pitching. But I'm not too confident
    I feel good. Our weekend stuff is way better than our mid week. We have come a long ways since we lost to USM in a mid week game early in the SEC season. I really don't worry about our hitting. I do worry about pitching. We need to win the first two games. If we get into the loser bracket then it could be trouble.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Pilk
    Self
    Cole
    Plumlee
    Billingsley
    McQ

That's our 6 pitchers
    Price will get a shot I bet. Depending on situation of course. For instance, we get up 8-2 vs USA & Gordon gets into the 8th and hits 90+ pitches....bring in Price to see if he can find it again. If he walks someone, bring in one of the names you mentioned.

vCash
    I feel good. Our weekend stuff is way better than our mid week. We have come a long ways since we lost to USM in a mid week game early in the SEC season. I really don't worry about our hitting. I do worry about pitching. We need to win the first two games. If we get into the loser bracket then it could be trouble.
    I agree.

Is it official that we're starting Cole Gordon Gsme 1? I saw Todd mention it, but is that just hearsay, or is it being discussed as if official?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Pilk
    Self
    Cole
    Plumlee
    Billingsley
    McQ

That's our 6 pitchers
    What about Rigby? It was rumored he would be back for post season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Barkman Turner Overdrive View Post
    What about Rigby? It was rumored he would be back for post season.
    I have no idea. Seems it would be pretty risky to try him now though