Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hattiesburg Regional

vCash
    If we go pilk game 2 which I still think he goes game one...who would you start game 1? I personally think you go pilk game one hope he can give you 7-8 good innings so we can save what little bullpen we have and or we get lucky and hanga bunch of runs early In the game and get him out of there with a chance to bring him back later in the weekend. Gordon did throw the ball well and so did plumlee so we do have some options will be interesting to see what the coaches come up with.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    True, but starts can get rearranged any weekend due to weather.
    Usually you don't change your starting pitcher because of a rain delay unless the rain delay is in the middle of the game and lasts awhile. Also who your opponent is doesn't usually change because of a rain delay either. You don't worry about things you can't control you prepare the best you can with the information you have already. Again odds are that USM wins so you gained no advantage by waiting and actually hurt your SP's preparation/mentality by waiting till last second to let him know he is pitching.

vCash
    Apparently we will face Randy Bell for South Alabama.

RHP from Woodville, MS
    He is 5-3 with a 3.97 ERA
    90 innings pitched, 101 Hits, 16 BB, 85 K's

Throws a lot of strikes, which is good Bc we don't take pitches.

vCash
    South Alabama beat us, LSU, & Auburn midweek this year, and lost twice to USM. Of their 39 wins, only 3 were against the rpi top 50, and 31 were against rpi 100+ teams.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Do you think you gain more of an advantage for your team and pitchers by giving them a proper heads up on when they are pitching or by switching your rotation last second cause USM got upset? Odds are USM doesn't get upset which means you then have not given either pitcher a proper heads up and you gained zero advantage by waiting to see what USM does. Basically you just ****ed yourself by trying to be cute to gain a tiny advantage.
    More than likely we won't make a last minute decision but if we do it will be ok. Once again they ain't pros. Read commercecomet24 post explains it simply. And you're right odds are usm wins and we start Gordon which is probably what we will plan.

vCash
    Illinois Chicago has an rpi of 99 and SOS of 259. Took 2 of 3 at Vandy this year, split with Georgia Tech, and apparently have a very good pitching staff that ranks top 5 in the country in ERA.

They're 2-1 vs rpi Top 25, and 6-6 vs top 51-100...but 27 wins came vs the rpi 200+

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Apparently we will face Randy Bell for South Alabama.

RHP from Woodville, MS
    He is 5-3 with a 3.97 ERA
    90 innings pitched, 101 Hits, 16 BB, 85 K's

Throws a lot of strikes, which is good Bc we don't take pitches.
    Is this their #2 starter? They taking the same strategy as us to win this regional.

vCash
    Here's the ERA stats showing Illinois Chicago as #2 in ERA. USM could definitely lose that opening game, although I don't expect it. It's easier to have a good ERA when your SOS is 259.

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport...MBA&division=1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Is this their #2 starter? They taking the same strategy as us to win this regional.
    Pretty sure he's their Ace, but I may be wrong

ETA: He has the most starts, and their message board says "they haven't seen Randy in our previous games" so they clearly think he's one of their best.
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 05-29-2017 at 05:21 PM.

vCash
    USM is #4 and USA is #7 in scoring, both averaging over 8 runs per game. That is concerning with our pitching depth issues and our leaving men on base so much and not scoring runs

vCash
    USM is #4 and USA is #7 in scoring, both averaging over 8 runs per game. That is concerning with our pitching depth issues and our leaving men on base so much and not scoring runs
    If Cann sticks with the six guys he's taking about I'm fine with our pitching.

vCash
    Anybody able to break down South Alabama and USM? Give us an idea of who we will likely face on the hill...Lefty or Righty
    Southern fan here.

I think USM will throw our ace in game 1, but we'll have to see. Kirk McCarty. Cape Cod guy, Dandy Dozen, etc. 2.96 ERA/1.08 WHIP. Lefty.

We can't afford to screw around with UIC. Maybe the best #4 seed in the tourney.

Not sure who we'll go with in game 2. Either Colt Smith (decent numbers with a 3.03 ERA/1.22 WHIP but can throw meat at times) or Taylor Braley (power arm with a fastball in the 92-94 range, getting some late buzz from scouts).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whataburger View Post
    Southern fan here.

I think USM will throw our ace in game 1, but we'll have to see. Kirk McCarty. Cape Cod guy, Dandy Dozen, etc. 2.96 ERA/1.08 WHIP. Lefty.

We can't afford to screw around with UIC. Maybe the best #4 seed in the tourney.

Not sure who we'll go with in game 2. Either Colt Smith (decent numbers with a 3.03 ERA/1.22 WHIP but can throw meat at times) or Taylor Braley (power arm with a fastball in the 92-94 range, getting some late buzz from scouts).
    You would get more rep here if your username was Denny's in Hattiesburg.**

vCash
    Back from work thoughts:

I start Cole Gordon is game one and go Pilkington in game two. We have an advantage in knowing how South Alabama and USM are going to play us and we've seen them before. I think I would go Pilkington in game two regardless. UIC has a really good team ERA and we need to stay in the winner's bracket if possible. We need to be able to match up USM's ace if they decide to hold him back in the event that they beat UIC. Start McQuary in game three and then either Plumlee or Billingsley in game four if necessary.

And thinking way ahead if we have to play LSU in a SR and they manage to somehow come out of the regional of death that they were just awarded******* I'd rather throw Gordon vs. Lange and hope for the best in game one and then come back with Pilkington in game two, and if necessary go with McQuary against LSU's third guy.

Banned
    vCash
    Southern fan here.

Can you buy us about 1,000 tickets please

vCash
    If we don't hit and score more runs than we did in the Sec Tourney, it want matter who pitches.

Regardless someone will have to beat a red hot Usm team probably twice.

vCash
    Southern fan here.

Thanks man. Who did you guys start on Sat & Sun most of the year? Is Smith or Braley LHP? What is your bullpen like? Thanks for the info, let us know if you have any questions about State

vCash
    Southern fan here.

Whataburger, if you happen to know anybody purchasing Regional tickets that would sell me a few tickets for MSU's first game against South Alabama, please message me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Back from work thoughts:

I start Cole Gordon is game one and go Pilkington in game two. We have an advantage in knowing how South Alabama and USM are going to play us and we've seen them before. I think I would go Pilkington in game two regardless. UIC has a really good team ERA and we need to stay in the winner's bracket if possible. We need to be able to match up USM's ace if they decide to hold him back in the event that they beat UIC. Start McQuary in game three and then either Plumlee or Billingsley in game four if necessary.

And thinking way ahead if we have to play LSU in a SR and they manage to somehow come out of the regional of death that they were just awarded******* I'd rather throw Gordon vs. Lange and hope for the best in game one and then come back with Pilkington in game two, and if necessary go with McQuary against LSU's third guy.
    If we are fortunate enough to win this Regional, I love the idea of starting Pilk game 2 vs LSU. We would really put pressure on them if we could steal game 1 and have Pilk waiting on them with Omaha on the line.

Same applies this weekend....After looking at UIC's ERA, I think USM will have to think about throwing their Ace in game 1. That means we will have an edge if we can win game 1 with Cole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    This ain't the majors. We can make a starter decision on the pitcher after usm plays. Our starter will be fine with relation to preparation.
    Exactly what I was going to post. It's actually common at the collegiate level.