Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hattiesburg Regional

vCash

Hattiesburg Regional

Interesting to me that USM has chosen to play the early game on Friday. Now we can see if they win/lose and who they pitch before deciding on a starter technically. In my opinion, we should see if they pitch their Ace and if they win or lose before making our decision. If they somehow lose, I think you go ahead and pitch Pilk in game 1 to make sure we win & face Illinois Chicago for a chance at the Regional final. Thoughts?

vCash
    Nothing to add... you nailed it. Didn't even think of that

vCash
    It's tough to have two guys prepare as a starter knowing one won't end up pitching, though. Might be tough to prepare to start on Friday, then not and have to get prepared again to pitch Saturday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    It's tough to have two guys prepare as a starter knowing one won't end up pitching, though. Might be tough to prepare to start on Friday, then not and have to get prepared again to pitch Saturday.
    Totally understand that, however we're playing with a very short handed staff, so that's a risk I think you have to take

Banned
    vCash
    Problem with that is starting pitchers have game day routines and routines 4-5 days out to get themselves ready to pitch and when you don't give either guy the heads up till 2 hours before it ****s up both pitchers routines. I'd rather Cann settles on the 3 day SP rotation as soon as possible so the 3 guys can start getting ready in whatever way they each do to be ready for their turn. Relief pitchers don't need heads up, starting pitchers do.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    This ain't the majors. We can make a starter decision on the pitcher after usm plays. Our starter will be fine with relation to preparation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Problem with that is starting pitchers have game day routines and routines 4-5 days out to get themselves ready to pitch and when you don't give either guy the heads up till 2 hours before it ****s up both pitchers routines. I'd rather Cann settles on the 3 day SP rotation as soon as possible so the 3 guys can start getting ready in whatever way they each do to be ready for their turn. Relief pitchers don't need heads up, starting pitchers do.
    Fair enough. Can't argue that, just a thought I was having.

So what if USM loses game 1 & we win game 1 with Cole...do you dare save Pilk for the Final? I say no, Bc we don't really have a 3rd starter and to me it's more important to get to the final in 2 games. Plus, say we win, Pilk would be on short rest for the SR.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    This ain't the majors. We can make a starter decision on the pitcher after usm plays. Our starter will be fine with relation to preparation.
    Kinda what I was thinking. But I am not afraid to admit that I have no idea the "routines" a SEC pitcher deals with. I pitched in high school, and if I was told the day of the game, so be it.

vCash
    Yep! All these kids are travel ball kids and are used to pitching in whatever role is required, I.e. Starting, relieving, last minute changes. They can handle it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Fair enough. Can't argue that, just a thought I was having.

So what if USM loses game 1 & we win game 1 with Cole...do you dare save Pilk for the Final? I say no, Bc we don't really have a 3rd starter and to me it's more important to get to the final in 2 games. Plus, say we win, Pilk would be on short rest for the SR.
    We're a long way from even worrying about this, but I'd keep Cole 1st and pilk day 2 vs lsu. Pilk doesn't really give us an advantage vs Lange, but he does vs poche

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    We're a long way from even worrying about this, but I'd keep Cole 1st and pilk day 2 vs lsu. Pilk doesn't really give us an advantage vs Lange, but he does vs poche
    Good point. We gotta be willing to get creative & take some risks with pitching rotation if we want to somehow go on a magical run to Omaha. Some of these decisions could backfire, but we aren't winning many Sat or Sun pitching duels going forward regardless without mixing it up. So get creative, find mismatches, and try to capitalize on the few you have.

Banned
    vCash
    Do you think you gain more of an advantage for your team and pitchers by giving them a proper heads up on when they are pitching or by switching your rotation last second cause USM got upset? Odds are USM doesn't get upset which means you then have not given either pitcher a proper heads up and you gained zero advantage by waiting to see what USM does. Basically you just ****ed yourself by trying to be cute to gain a tiny advantage.

vCash
    What are the odds that we get knocked out? Not trying to be negative just wanna see what folks think

vCash
    Another thought, I like saving Pilk for USM for another reason...

If we're going to get put out in Hattiesburg, let's try to make sure it's by one of the teams not named USM. Saving Pilk for game 2 gives us our most likely chance of winning the Regional or if we lose it, not losing it to USM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    What are the odds that we get knocked out? Not trying to be negative just wanna see what folks think
    Knocked out of this regional? I say around 60%

vCash
    Very likely we don't win this Regional. Above 50% imo

USM is red hot and can swing the sticks...not to mention they are at home.

South Alabama won their conference, and was a 2 seed in the last D1 projection, so they have to be one of the toughest 3 seeds.

Meanwhile, many don't know this, but Illinois Chicago has one of the best ERA's in the country as a staff....and we all know our history this season with being shut down by a mid major pitcher that we make look like Sandy Koufax
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 05-29-2017 at 04:24 PM.

vCash
    10% - you have remember that a USM player is somebody we did not want, not even Alabama... you respect they can beat you and play with focus but this is Our State and Our Regional

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    True, but starts can get rearranged any weekend due to weather.

vCash
    Anybody able to break down South Alabama and USM? Give us an idea of who we will likely face on the hill...Lefty or Righty