Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: MSU Basketball

vCash
    Howland is a good coach, but my gut tells me he leaves us for "greener" pastures within 2 years. Maybe for a better program. Maybe just for a bigger city.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Powersaw View Post
    Howland is a good coach, but my gut tells me he leaves us for "greener" pastures within 2 years. Maybe for a better program. Maybe just for a bigger city.
    Anything can happen, but if a bigger program wants to pay Howland more than we are, he'll have to do a hell of a lot of winning at MSU between now and then. I just don't see him leaving, because winning here would defeat the purpose.

vCash

I think Howland is happy here, and loves Starkvegas and MSU. I doubt he is looking for greener pastures, or moving to a big city, but who actually knows.

vCash
    Howland's not going anywhere. He's still building this thing.

vCash
    Ben Howland is 60 now. So let's say next year MSU blows up and he gets the opportunity to move to a better program/city at the age of 61. Presumably that will come with another two years of rebuilding like he has done at all his other jobs, which optimistically is 20% of his remaining career, and much more than 20% of his remaining career under less optimistic circumstances. And it's also possible it might take two or three years of winning at MSU before the right opportunity comes up, at which point jumping ship makes even less sense (for both Howland and whowever would be hiring him)

Unless he just wants to be in a different city, I think we caught him at the right point in his career. Although good college basketball coaches routinely coach into old age and he could easily have another 10 years left on his career, he's still old enough that some of the blue chip programs might want to pass on him for someone younger, and also old enough that he might not want to take on another rebuild after he gets State rolling.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Holman and Herard really have two very different games. Holman is the better skilled player but he tends to gravitate away from the basket while Herard is the bigger more physical presence that tends to gravitate towards the basket. I am interested to see what Ado & Herard look like on defense together. Points in the paint will be difficult for other teams with those two big dudes down there.
    number one thing Heard needs to work on is catching the ball. He has hands of stone. Worst hands since Bill Kamphus. It would help if he could work on better post up positioning and making it easier for entry passes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Ben Howland is 60 now. So let's say next year MSU blows up and he gets the opportunity to move to a better program/city at the age of 61. Presumably that will come with another two years of rebuilding like he has done at all his other jobs, which optimistically is 20% of his remaining career, and much more than 20% of his remaining career under less optimistic circumstances. And it's also possible it might take two or three years of winning at MSU before the right opportunity comes up, at which point jumping ship makes even less sense (for both Howland and whowever would be hiring him)

Unless he just wants to be in a different city, I think we caught him at the right point in his career. Although good college basketball coaches routinely coach into old age and he could easily have another 10 years left on his career, he's still old enough that some of the blue chip programs might want to pass on him for someone younger, and also old enough that he might not want to take on another rebuild after he gets State rolling.
    i think we need to worry about our pasture being green first. I would like for us to have a legitimate worry for Ben getting the hell out of Dodge. Right now He needs to get us to the post season, then we might have reason to worry.

vCash
    If Howland has a couple of good seasons, he'll get a raise too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    number one thing Heard needs to work on is catching the ball. He has hands of stone. Worst hands since Bill Kamphus. It would help if he could work on better post up positioning and making it easier for entry passes.
    In my view, the much bigger problem was the lazy use of picks by the guards. Many time Herard had excellent position only to have the guards get to a pick and reverse the direction of rotation. It's nearly impossible for a player to establish and maintain position in the post for an extended time without fouling or getting doubled. Most of the problems we had penetrating was poor execution from the guards.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MCsMGs View Post
    In my view, the much bigger problem was the lazy use of picks by the guards. Many time Herard had excellent position only to have the guards get to a pick and reverse the direction of rotation. It's nearly impossible for a player to establish and maintain position in the post for an extended time without fouling or getting doubled. Most of the problems we had penetrating was poor execution from the guards.
    Ben said when got to State we were the worst Screen setting team He had ever seen. IJ seems like He always went the wrong way on a pick.

vCash
    Howland isnt leaving State until he wins more and another bigger Adidas school decides they want him

apparently people dont understand how much power the shoe companies have in CBB today
    Last edited by Random Poster; 05-30-2017 at 09:22 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    Howland isnt leaving State until he wins more and another bigger Adidas school decides they want him

apparently people dont understand how much power the shoe companies have in CBB today
    Lucky for us there's never going to be a bigger Adidas school than MSU that's looking for a coach anytime soon. Kansas? Nope. Louisville? Nope. UCLA? Haha

vCash
    Isn't today the day Howland is supposed to speak with Kegler? Info?