Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MSU Basketball

vCash
    He's done a good job so far:

Based on his performance so far here and at other jobs, we have no reason to believe the team won't continue to improve and compete at the highest level.

Banned
    vCash
    How does a 21-12 team finish with an kenpom of 77 and a 14-17 team finish with an kenpom of 78?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    How does a 21-12 team finish with an kenpom of 77 and a 14-17 team finish with an kenpom of 78?
    Strength of schedule, margin of victory/defeat, etc. The Kenpom ratings take all of a team's possessions on the season into account (not including garbage time), not just whether a game was a win or loss.

He also calculates a "luck" ranking for each team that compares a team's actual W/L record to its predicted W/L record based on its rating, and our 2015-16 team was the 3rd unluckiest team in D1. We were also relatively unlucky this past year, but not as dramatically so.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Strength of schedule, margin of victory/defeat, etc. The Kenpom ratings take all of a team's possessions on the season into account (not including garbage time), not just whether a game was a win or loss.

He also calculates a "luck" ranking for each team that compares a team's actual W/L record to its predicted W/L record based on its rating, and our 2015-16 team was the 3rd unluckiest team in D1. We were also relatively unlucky this past year, but not as dramatically so.
    Interesting, now that you mention it I do remember us losing a lot of close games Howland's first year. Good stuff, thanks for posting it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    Recruiting for this cycle is absolutely awful right now. He better win this year. If they are not a nit team with legit NCAA buble conversation then I'm gonna be very disappointed. Two of the top recruits in the "great class" are leaving. I'm still confident though bc I think peters Lil spoon, and ado are gonna do big things however we better start seeing progress in a hurry.
    Um Robert Woodard is in the 2018 cycle and he plays like we wish Kegler would have played.

vCash
    I feel great about Howland and expect great things going forward.

This thread cracks me up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

Exactly. But don't argue with the master of all sports. Goodness that mini rant made my head hurt.

vCash
    Interesting, now that you mention it I do remember us losing a lot of close games Howland's first year. Good stuff, thanks for posting it
    Hey 61, not sure if you have seen little Spoon play, dude has skills, forget Wright or you will when little Spoon gets some minutes. He's electric quick who can ball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

I'm excited about seeing Tyson Carter this year. I think he takes the biggest jump of our freshmen and it ends up being hard to keep him out of the starting five (which is a good thing). I'm excited about seeing a fully healthy Q and Xay. I'm excited to finally get to see Ado and to see Herard's development. And I am excited to see how Lamar Peters and Nick Weatherspoon play together. I'll also be interested to see Holman's development and to see if Feazel can push him at the four being 6'9 and 240 that is a true stretch four with guard type skills. Even with losing Kegler and Wright, I think we will still be okay this year and have more then enough talent to win 22-23 games and be a borderline NCAA tourney team.
    Last edited by MarketingBully; 05-28-2017 at 07:20 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Hey 61, not sure if you have seen little Spoon play, dude has skills, forget Wright or you will when little Spoon gets some minutes. He's electric quick who can ball.
    Nick Spoon is the best medicine, thanks for reminding me

vCash
    Nick Spoon is the best medicine, thanks for reminding me
    We should be better inside especially defensively, the thing with young big men is they seem to be foul prone.

Peters and Little Spoon will be fun to watch in time. We get Woodard and if all stay healthy may be the best backcourt in our history, at least on paper, lol.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    Exactly. But don't argue with the master of all sports. Goodness that mini rant made my head hurt.
    How come you don't make comments like this towards other posters when the daily shit on Dan Mullen threads are posted?

vCash
    How come you don't make comments like this towards other posters when the daily shit on Dan Mullen threads are posted?
    Because I don't like arguing with a random agenda driven based post.

vCash
    I think Howland has us heading in the right direction. I do have a couple of concerns though:
    1. Our on ball defense has been very bad the last two years. We couldn't stop Steven Hawking on a dribble drive.
    2. Our ball movement and movement without the ball is alarmingly bad. I hope it was just due to youth. We would waste at least 10 seconds every possession just casually tossing it around the perimeter with no real idea of what we wanted to do.

I would like to see a more deliberate approach on offense and attack the basket more often.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Long way to go till season and a lot could change but I think an honest conversation is due. How do yall feel about Howland and what do yall expect from him and the team going forward?
    So you like arguing with me instead? Haha the OP ASKED us to give our opinions on Howland right now. Maybe I have missed the good news coming from the basketball program in the last 6 months cause I don't seem to remember hearing any. Care to fill me in.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    You just need to consider who your talking to. Someone who thought Boise State would be a good fit for the SEC...for a year. When you do that you'll understand why arguing seems kind of pointless.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    You just need to consider who your talking to. Someone who thought Boise State would be a good fit for the SEC...for a year. When you do that you'll understand why arguing seems kind of pointless.
    troll

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    troll
    A simple check from Enforcer can prove I'm not a troll. Do we have anything to prove you are not an idiot? Nope. Your post can confirm that. Again the irony of you calling me a troll in a thread that you trolled and are trying to argue with everyone. Nice

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    I like Boise State

vCash
    I have no expectations good or bad. There are way too many unknowns and the knowns are still to young to base anything solid on. I'll wait till I see them in January to form any real opinion.