Thread: I'm really excited about the future of MSU baseball

vCash

I'm really excited about the future of MSU baseball

Just because I like history...

Polk took us from a local power to a national power in the 1970's and 1980's and I'm sure a lot of our fans thought that was awesome and mind blowing at the time. But it was just a step.

We went back a little bit while the rest of the conference stepped up their game in the 1990's aside from Polk's farewell tour in the mid 90's and after McMahon kept us at about the same level while he was here, we made the mistake of bringing Polk back. And while we had a few good moments during that era like beating the best Ole Miss team ever in 2005 for the SEC Tournament Title and going to Omaha in 2007, it was mostly frustrating. In seven years we had two winning SEC seasons under Polk and his best year we won 17- as many as Cann won this year in year one. That lead to a very bitter ending that split our fanbase, but Greg Byrne did what had to be done.

Cohen came in and though the first two seasons were painful eventually Cohen rebuilt us into what we were in the 80's and 90's- except for the 2015 season of course. We won the SEC, SEC Tournament, and went to the Finals in Omaha which was a big step for our program. As he became the AD we're now entering a transition period.

The key word here being "transition" and not "rebuilding". We're likely going to be a 2 seed in a regional come Monday which I think is the minimum standard for MSU baseball. We have a new coach who I think is about to- much like Polk did in the 70's and 80's- take us to the next level. I think we're going to see our recruiting improve and I think we're going to bring in players that are elite players and want to play at MSU and win championships here. We're also transitioning into a new stadium that will be the best in the SEC. We're going to see more and more Bulldogs in the Big Leagues and that has already started with some of Cohen's former players like Graveman, Renfroe, Frazier, Holder, and others to come like Dakota Hudson and Brent Rooker.

I think we're going to start seeing number one recruiting classes, Governor Cups, SEC Tournament and regular season titles, Regionals and SR in Starkville at our new AAA stadium and a lot of trips to Omaha. The foundation is being laid right now. I can't wait for 2019 and the new stadium to be completed and Cann's first true class that he recruited on his own to arrive on campus. We're going to kick ass.

vCash
    Good post Todd, I share your enthusiasm.

vCash
    I agree, Cann is going to get us to Omaha more consistently than what we've been doing for the last 10-15 years. I believe that.

vCash
    Absolutely agree with everything said. We are entering a golden era in MSU baseball.

vCash
    Yep, plenty to be excited about in the near future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    I agree, Cann is going to get us to Omaha more consistently than what we've been doing for the last 10-15 years. I believe that.
    The key to recruiting will be Cann's ability to get guys to turn down a million dollars to come to MSU.

Unlike other sports, the key to high level baseball recruiting isn't actually signing the players. It's getting them to campus.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    The key to recruiting will be Cann's ability to get guys to turn down a million dollars to come to MSU.

Unlike other sports, the key to high level baseball recruiting isn't actually signing the players. It's getting them to campus.
    If his success depends on him getting kids to turn down million dollar signing bonuses, we're in trouble.

vCash
    The key is loading up on 5th to 10th round talent and getting those to campus. Some of those won't pan out or live up to that talent level, but most will and a few will exceed that and turn into 1st round talent.

vCash
    Its time to quit being dickteases and win the damn natty

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

Between his connections... which you know all too well about. His reputation from LSU and what he has done this season...
    and our new facilities.. It won't be easy. But those things should help...

I really can't wait to see what he can build. We all wanted Cohen to hire a better hitting coach.. and he did that..and quite possibly a better HC overall.