Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can the baseball gurus give us a complete breakdown of in-coming players and...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Chaser View Post
    I ran in to the coach while in Lakeland a couple of weeks ago which reminded me of him. Where do you think he ends up if not us?
    Honestly I have no idea what MLB teams are interested in him. I think he's definitely a top 10 talent. He's committed and signed a LOI with MSU so if he doesn't go pro and doesn't beg us to release him or something weird like that, he will be in Starkville.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    This thread probably a month too early. Until the draft is over, way too many variables imo
    Absolutely. It's useless to even speculate at this point

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I expect there to be a lot more competition in the fall. As far as our class I think we will lose anywhere between 4-7 guys out of it- but most of those are JUCO guys.

Pilkington will be our ace as long as he is healthy. I think he is starting to turn the corner from very good to dominant. If he pitches as expected, that's huge for us- see how we were with Stratton and Hudson and the seasons we had with them. He's projected to be a first round pick next year.

The other spots are up in the air because we have some of the Tommy John guys coming back who I think could be in the mix depending on where they are. As of now if I had to guess McQuary, Ashcraft, Riley Self, and Cole Gordon would be the leaders. If those are our rotation guys 2-4 we're probably going to have a really good season because I think all of them will improve after this summer. I think Parker Ford could be in the mix and he has looked better lately. Ethan Small and Noah Hughes could compete for spots as well. As far as the JUCO guys go if we get Pearson McMahan I think he will likely win a rotation spot. He was drafted by the Pirates out of high school but I don't think we will get him. We also signed a JUCO from Mississippi Delta named Cole Marsh that could be in the mix as well but I think he ends up in the bullpen most likely.

Our bullpen should be better and deeper as well. Blake Smith is going to come back next year. How healthy he will be- that remains to be seen. Apparently he had a partial tear of his UCL and the Tommy John surgery technique he had is a new one which only takes six months to recover from but it's very new. And it's only for partial tears. Ryan Rigby could be back as well- there were rumors on here that he may leave but that's also the only time I've heard them. Jared Padgett should be back from Tommy John surgery as well. Hopefully Spencer Price will return back better than before. As I said above I think Self will be in the mix for the rotation but my guess is he most likely returns to the bullpen for his senior year. Troy Bacon is a JUCO closer that signed with Florida out of high school but he's a draft risk but if we get him it could set us up to potentially have one of the best bullpens in the league with Price, Self, Rigby, and Smith if life is perfect which it never is at MSU. As I said above I expect Marsh to be in the bullpen and if I had to guess most of the Tommy John guys will start out in the bullpen. Plumlee will be back and will hopefully be better. Jolly, Barton, and Mahoney will be back but probably won't have to pitch as much. John Mason is a JUCO reliever that throws hard but has had injuries and honestly if I were Cann I would drop him. Cameron Voss is a JUCO reliever from New York and I don't know a lot about him which means he'll come in and break Holder's save record. We have a high school prospect named Chad Bryant that I think will pitch a little bit for us out of the bullpen potentially as well. Same with Bryce Hutchinson but I'm not sure if he will pitch, play first, or do both yet. My guess is he will pitch but he could be a darkhorse closer candidate if we get him past the draft which I think we will and he throws in the low/mid 90's.

Catcher is a concern of mine. Right now it's Skelton who I expect to start and the aforementioned Marshall Gilbert. My guess is Skelton will start and I think he will be better than Lovelady in some ways. I don't think Lovelady frames pitches very well and that's an issue with our current staff for obvious reasons and hopefully Skelton's bat will improve. Gilbert has put up some good numbers in a JUCO league where it hasn't usually translated well over to the SEC. I'm not as high on him as the coaches are but hopefully I'm wrong. We really need another catcher because otherwise right now our third guy is Stovall. Really could be a JUCO or high school guy.

Obviously we won't really replace Rooker. I think Owen Lovell would be the lead candidate in my opinion to replace him and he's a freshman. We flipped him from Alabama. Tyreque Reed is the new JUCO guy we got from Itawamba CC and he's a mild draft risk- I think he comes to school. I'm not sure why Cohen didn't recruit him out of high school- he would have been a good replacement for Pickett. I've seen a lot of ICC guys put up huge numbers there and then have trouble in the SEC. So, I'm kind of cautious about him. Alex Pener is a JUCO guy that I'm not all that high on. I think he most likely ends up like another Vansau/MacNamee type of player. He's also had some injuries in JUCO so that may have hurt his numbers some plus it's a wood bat league. Cole Gordon and Bryce Hutchinson could be candidates too but I think they stay on the mound. Rey Riviera is a JUCO player that I think would start at first base if we get him past the draft but most people don't expect that to happen. He was drafted by the Cubs out of high school.

Stovall should be the second baseman and I think he will have a big year again as long as he stays healthy. Tanner Allen I think is the second baseman of the future for us. We flipped him from LSU and I think he plays a lot regardless. I think we will get Gridley back. Cann loves him and I think he ends up as a second baseman in the pros and I can't see him playing a lot of other positions. I think he will have a big year for us- think Kramer Robertson with a slightly higher batting average. I think Cann will beg him to come back. We have some guys like LA that can play the MIF and yes, I do think that if Gridley leaves LA ends up at SS. We have a couple of other freshmen coming in- Rowdy Jordan who is scrappy and can steal a lot of bases, and Justin Foscue who has a little bit of power that I think will be back-ups/redshirt.

Third base could be a battle. Assuming Gridley comes back, LA will probably be the third baseman again. He needs to get healthy and be more patient at the plate and start taking outside pitches. Bragg will be in the mix if he comes back- I don't have anything concrete on this, but my gut feeling is he won't be back. Jordan Westburg could be a dark horse candidate for third base as a freshman and could even be in the MIF mix as well. I could see us playing Tanner Allen here depending on how things play out.

The outfield will have a lot of competition next year I think. I believe Mangum will be back and of course he will play CF. I think the other two spots are up for grabs. It's 50/50 but I think we have a good chance of getting Jordan Anderson in and he's a UA All-American. As someone else said, I could Lovell getting a spot here. I think Tanner Allen will get a spot here ultimately if things play out like I think they will. We flipped him from LSU and he's very versatile. I don't know where he ends up but I think he plays somewhere right away and he's likely coming to school. Tyreque Reed could possibly play in the OF as well. That said, I don't think that MacNamee and Vansau are totally out of it either. They have experience on their side. Certainly Vansau has to improve his defense. Both have had very good moments this year at times. I think MacNamee would be more likely to start than Vansau between the two. And it's good that we have some proven guys that will be back on campus next year because we do have to wait and see what the draft does with Anderson, Allen, Lovell, and Reed. I think we will get Josh Hatcher past the draft and he's a very good prospect as well. I don't foresee Tanner Poole playing a lot next year unless we get hit hard by the draft or he improves a lot. And I do not expect to get Quenton Holmes past the MLB draft.
    Talk about high school catchers. Who's out there, in state, out of state?

vCash
    FWIW, I think Mangum should come back to school.

He needs to refine his approach and try to add more strength in his forearms and hands. If I were him, I'd take the Summer off and get in the weight room like Benintendi did. Mangum MUST develop more strength at the point contact or his pro career will be a short one.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

He needs to refine his approach and try to add more strength in his forearms and hands. If I were him, I'd take the Summer off and get in the weight room like Benintendi did. Mangum MUST develop more strength at the point contact or his pro career will be a short one.
    Yes, yes, and yes

Mangum could hit the weights and come back like Robocop. He can also invest time with a premium hitting coach like his current head coach at Mississippi State.

With his wheels, defense, hitting ability he won't depreciate in one season, he would have Khalil Green type monster season.

I think the Rooker example of hardwork and patience will keep Jake in town

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    Absolutely. It's useless to even speculate at this point
    Com'on Mane! Useless speculation is why message boards exist...back in February people thought our starting rotation was going to be Pilk, Cyr, and James then all we had was Pilk...we thought the bullpen would be anchored by Rigby and Smith then we lost both...we thought that Henderson was a low energy bad hire in March then he built a pitching staff from near ashes.

vCash

I agree, plus he injured his wrist this year. By coming back he won't lose any leverage just like Rooker didn't lose any by coming back and improving his game. He needs to come back and have a full healthy season and as you said get stronger and also show better plate discipline. He also needs to learn to play under control better at times too- I've seen him miss the cutoff man trying to make throws and plays he shouldn't and it costs us a base and sometimes a run. He also could probably improve at stealing bases some too.

vCash
    I don't see many MLB scouts salivating at the mouth for a player that hit below .350 with very little to zero power and is a free swinger that Plays somewhere other than 2b.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    I don't see many MLB scouts salivating at the mouth for a player that hit below .350 with very little to zero power and is a free swinger that Plays somewhere other than 2b.
    If they think he can he can be plus defender in cf, that'll help his stock. Doesn't he throw low 90s? If so, that helps his stock coming from left side. With that said, I don't see him being a top 4 round guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If they think he can he can be plus defender in cf, that'll help his stock. Doesn't he throw low 90s? If so, that helps his stock coming from left side. With that said, I don't see him being a top 4 round guy
    I played against a kid in high school that had a routine fly ball hit him in the face Bc he didn't line his glove up to catch it, and was drafted based on his "athleticism and raw potential". MLB scouts do some stupid shit, so nothing surprises me anymore. There are too many players drafted each year, and too many minor league levels. Jake Mangum should 100% return for his Junior year, but it won't surprise me a bit if he leaves, because the MLB & Minor League baseball system is a joke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Agree.

What's funny is that 2B and 3B now have extremely similar power profiles in MLB. SS and C are the two positions where hitting is less important.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    The Cubs loved him but they wouldn't pay him the $1 million he wanted. They wanted to draft him in the third round and offered him $750k but Padgett said no thanks and came to school. I hope he comes back even better and the Cubs draft him in the first round after his junior year.
    Damn that was a roll of the dice that didn't work out.

vCash
    To me, that plus the fact that we're seeing teams getting run ruled because they run out of pitching speaks more to how silly the SEC Tournament format is and that they need to look at revamping it. We had to pitch somebody and we couldn't just roll a pitching machine out there.

WORD!

vCash
    Agree.

What's funny is that 2B and 3B now have extremely similar power profiles in MLB. SS and C are the two positions where hitting is less important.
    Teams are wanting five tool guys at every position now. I don't blame them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Damn that was a roll of the dice that didn't work out.
    Johnson's unorthodox coaching style really got Padgett. I think Henderson's and Thompson's style fits him better. Padgett's story isn't yet written so if he comes out and dominates as our closer I'm sure the Cubs haven't stopped liking him.