Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: SECT vs Florida game thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    But you could reduce their scholly down to the minimum level or is it set when they sign originally?
    I suppose so in some cases however the NCAA requires a certain amount of players on the roster be at a certain amount of baseball scholarship money and it gets spread out pretty quickly. So unless a guy is getting more than the minimum I think the coach's hands are tied.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    Ahhh, gotcha. What if they are pussies and say that's okay with me I don't mind being a bench warmer. This is just hypothetical not saying any of our players are but that would be the flaw of this everyone gets a trophy rule. This has to have been done because of Saban. Thanks asshat Saban!
    Then I guess we're stuck with them. And that is yet another reason why I don't like the rule.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    But you could reduce their scholly down to the minimum level or is it set when they sign originally?
    That is what Goff got in trouble for or did he just plain take the scholarships away?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Then I guess we're stuck with them. And that is yet another reason why I don't like the rule.
    Lol, that's what I thought. Could you imagine some of those old school coaches like say the Bear having to abide by that rule? Hell he damn near killed some of the Junction boys.

vCash
    That is what Goff got in trouble for or did he just plain take the scholarships away?
    I believe he got in trouble for completely removing the scholarship on 10 players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I'd start Parker Ford. He has thrown strikes lately, and that's all we can ask at this point. We were never winning this tourney with our pitching depth, but today sucked
    I have no idea who Parker Ford is but If he can throw strikes I'm all for it

Banned
    vCash
    I've had enough. I know, we overachieved. I get it. But going from being in the national seed talks to taking a 17ing bus down hwy 17ing 49 to southern 17ing miss as a 17ing 2 seed in Hattiesburg makes me vomit chopped dick.

17 this.

vCash
    From what I understand he told certain players that they were getting cut and he was giving their scholarships to "his" recruits. Parents of the players complained. Byrne told him he couldn't do that because it was against the rules. He did it or tried to do it anyway and Byrne fired him.

Had he told them that they wouldn't play next year and the players left on their own it would have been different. At least I the eyes of the rule.

He also allegedly misappropriated some baseball funds too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    From what I understand he told certain players that they were getting cut and he was giving their scholarships to "his" recruits. Parents of the players complained. Byrne told him he couldn't do that because it was against the rules. He did it or tried to do it anyway and Byrne fired him.

Had he told them that they wouldn't play next year and the players left on their own it would have been different. At least I the eyes of the rule.

He also allegedly misappropriated some baseball funds too.
    In other words, he played a dangerous game of chicken with the Ninja and lost.

vCash
    Lol, that's what I thought. Could you imagine some of those old school coaches like say the Bear having to abide by that rule? Hell he damn near killed some of the Junction boys.
    It's just a different day and age. I do think Bear was probably too tough on the Junction boys. At the same time not allowing a coach to manage their roster is too soft. There needs to be a happy medium.

If I was on an academic scholarship and I made a bunch of C's and D's I would lose the scholarship. I think an athlete that is not performing should fall under the same criteria relative to sports.

vCash
    I think he was being a dumbass. If my boss explicitly told me not to do something and I did it anyway I deserve to be fired.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    I can't say that was wrong. 7-8-9 were coming up and Gordon's pitch count was low. I really have no problem with him facing 1 batter and seeing what happens. Unfortunately that dude got a hit, we pulled Gordon and 11 runs later, we are all pissed off. It sucks, but we weren't winning this tournament. If we somehow beat Arkansas later today, we may have to forfeit tomorrow due to lack of arms.
    We also wouldn't host even if we won the tourney, so it's pretty moot. Would have been nice to hang a banner though. Honestly, this team just needs to go home and get ready for the regionals. Continuing to stretch out our thin pitching for an unattainable goal (hosting) is something we could pay dearly for when the games that matter begin. That's exactly what happened to us in 2012 when we had an almost identical SEC record and resume heading into Hoover.
    Last edited by HSVDawg; 05-26-2017 at 04:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    We also wouldn't host even if we won the tourney, so it's pretty moot. Would have been nice to hang a banner though. Honestly, this team just needs to go home and get ready for the regionals. Continuing to stretch out our thin pitching for an unattainable goal (hosting) is something we could pay dearly for when the games that matter begin. That's exactly what happened to us in 2012 when we had an almost identical SEC record and resume heading into Hoover.
    Are you saying we shouldn't take our 6 good pitchers and throw them until their arms fall off?

Banned
    vCash
    I don't think anything matters anymore at this point. There's just not anymore this team can give. They're tapped out and don't have anything left to even get out of Hattiesburg. Just don't matter no mo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintDawg View Post
    That game was like getting slow head from a hot chick, and then her dentures fall out and she bites your dick off with no teeth.
    I'll give some rep for that one, SaintDawg.

Banned
    vCash
    Goff didn't just do the opposite of what Ninja told him he was also doing some weird shady shit with the equipment, like hoarding it himself and selling it for profit and making the players share like 5 bats total and he was screaming at the players and accusing them of taking money from him by sucking. Basically the dude totally left the reservation.

vCash
    Can't blame the Ninja for that. But it's still a stupid rule. Students on academic scholarship have to perform to keep their scholarships; athletes should have the same requirement.

Speaking of which ... one of the pitchers on one team had something like a 3.9+ in engineering ... obviously a really good student. Presumably he's on some sort of academic scholarship. Does that count against the 11.? baseball scholarships?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Goff didn't just do the opposite of what Ninja told him he was also doing some weird shady shit with the equipment, like hoarding it himself and selling it for profit and making the players share like 5 bats total and he was screaming at the players and accusing them of taking money from him by sucking. Basically the dude totally left the reservation.
    Whoever hired him didn't do a lot of vetting if all that's true. I doubt he just started doing such things when he came to Alabama.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Can't blame the Ninja for that. But it's still a stupid rule. Students on academic scholarship have to perform to keep their scholarships; athletes should have the same requirement.

Speaking of which ... one of the pitchers on one team had something like a 3.9+ in engineering ... obviously a really good student. Presumably he's on some sort of academic scholarship. Does that count against the 11.? baseball scholarships?
    Nope, which is why it's good to get baseball players on academic scholarships if possible.