Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Per Evan Daniels, Kegler has asked for transfer.

vCash
    The timing sucks and the optics will suck but as you guys said he was a tweener and had no future in the NBA. Stapleton and Eli are better threes. Kegler is an idiot transferring now. Good luck finding a program that will play you at the three. Much like Malik with Horatio, Omar killing Kegler's career.

vCash
    Omhar Carter wanted assurance that Kegler would play the 3. He thinks Kegler is good enough to go pro after two years if given the chance to show his talent on the perimeter. Didn't get the assurance he wanted, so Kegler leaves.

Much like the Malik situation. Kegler is a talented player but not necessarily a good player at this point in his career. Has a ton of potential, but as has been stated, low basketball IQ and big time AAU mentality (shoot as often as possible, play defense as little as necessary). That being said, I believe we will see both players drafted before all is said and done. I also could see both on an NBA roster (it helps having 15 spots now per team vs. 12 spots like in old days). I don't see either ever being anything more than a bench player at best.

However, being from Jackson, Malik isn't half the player Monte Ellis was at the same point and Mario couldn't hold Darius Rice's jock right now, even when Darius was a freshman at Miami.

The main thing that could hurt now is losing the connection with Omhar. Love him or hate him, he has players. Always has and always will. Ladarius Marshall and Michael Barbour both in Class of 2018 are his. And, he brings in kids from Africa to the states every year now. Need to keep that connection open if possible. That's up to George Brooks.

vCash
    With Kegler's attitude, he isn't making the NBA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawg93 View Post
    Omhar Carter wanted assurance that Kegler would play the 3. He thinks Kegler is good enough to go pro after two years if given the chance to show his talent on the perimeter. Didn't get the assurance he wanted, so Kegler leaves.

Much like the Malik situation. Kegler is a talented player but not necessarily a good player at this point in his career. Has a ton of potential, but as has been stated, low basketball IQ and big time AAU mentality (shoot as often as possible, play defense as little as necessary). That being said, I believe we will see both players drafted before all is said and done. I also could see both on an NBA roster (it helps having 15 spots now per team vs. 12 spots like in old days). I don't see either ever being anything more than a bench player at best.

However, being from Jackson, Malik isn't half the player Monte Ellis was at the same point and Mario couldn't hold Darius Rice's jock right now, even when Darius was a freshman at Miami.

The main thing that could hurt now is losing the connection with Omhar. Love him or hate him, he has players. Always has and always will. Ladarius Marshall and Michael Barbour both in Class of 2018 are his. And, he brings in kids from Africa to the states every year now. Need to keep that connection open if possible. That's up to George Brooks.
    We are getting DJ Stewart and Robert Woodard for 2018 which will fill those two 2018 spots. Not sure those two you mention are high on our board.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    I think it's safe to say recruiting a blue chip basketball player from Jackson, MS, usually equates to an enormous waste of time, resources, and effort. I'd either look for sleepers or completely leave that town alone.
    Both Spoons and Stapleton are from the Jackson area, and I called Kegler after he was acting like a diva in the high school national tournament. Howland has to stop signing players that show signs of being divas before they even make it to campus. This one is on Howland. If it was obvious to me watching Kegler twice from my ****ing couch he was going to be a problem it has to be more obvious to Howland. STOP SIGNING BABIES

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    The difference is over 800 D1 kids have transferred this offseason. This is what college basketball has become. No one is immune.
    Quote Originally Posted by dawg93 View Post

1) Why can't we ever sign 1 or 2 of these 800 transfers? 2) We need to be permanently done with Ohmar Carter. I don't want to hear us signing one of his players ever again. I'd much rather give some player from Australia or Italy a shot over signing some 5* Ohmar Carter diva any day every day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollodawg View Post
    I keep hearing what a great coach he is, yet State keeps losing.
    Bruce Pearl first 3 years at Auburn. No post season one winning season ( last year)
    Frank Martin first 3 years at USCe (17-16 year 3 first winning season)
    Shaka Smart year 2 at Texas won 11 games.

And CBH was given far less to work with than those 3 when they all got to their respective schools.

Some of you people act like we were a national power in hoops. We haven't been to the dance since I think 09 and haven't been to the sweet 16 in over 20 years.

Losing Keg hurts more perception wise more than anything. This gives more minutes to Tyson, X and Eli. His departure may improve that locker room.

Everyone chill the **** out, let's see how much the sophomores to be will improve this year. I'm guesssing a lot. Along with the incoming stud Spoon and a healthy Q..not to mention more depth with Ado at the 5

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    1) Why can't we ever sign 1 or 2 of these 800 transfers? 2) We need to be permanently done with Ohmar Carter. I don't want to hear us signing one of his players ever again. I'd much rather give some player from Australia or Italy a shot over signing some 5* Ohmar Carter diva any day every day.
    Kind of hard to avoid him considering he is the main guy of the MBA Hoops AAU team. We can't get a good grad transfer because believe it or not our grad school requirements are too high. As far as other transfers, I think we are trying to build from the high school ranks. Hopefully losing Newman and Kegler are addition by subtraction and it creates better team chemistry because of it. Kegler was one of the freshmen that really disappointed me because with all of the hype he got he should have produced at a much higher clip.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Bruce Pearl first 3 years at Auburn. No post season one winning season ( last year)
    Frank Martin first 3 years at USCe (17-16 year 3 first winning season)
    Shaka Smart year 2 at Texas won 11 games.

And CBH was given far less to work with than those 3 when they all got to their respective schools.

Some of you people act like we were a national power in hoops. We haven't been to the dance since I think 09 and haven't been to the sweet 16 in over 20 years.

Losing Keg hurts more perception wise more than anything. This gives more minutes to Tyson, X and Eli. His departure may improve that locker room.

Everyone chill the **** out, let's see how much the sophomores to be will improve this year. I'm guesssing a lot. Along with the incoming stud Spoon and a healthy Q..not to mention more depth with Ado at the 5
    I agree. I think this is addition by subtraction.

vCash
    Guys, he almost transferred at Christmas. I thought we got things cleared up, but we didn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacksondevildog View Post
    Guys, he almost transferred at Christmas. I thought we got things cleared up, but we didn't.
    He didn't even start for Oak Hill and didn't play well there. He is an overhyped tweener that may develop into a good not great college player and won't see the NBA. It's the cold truth but Braxton Key was the better player between the two and we got sold an overhyped bill of goods. Good luck wherever he lands though.

vCash
    Well I guess I'm in the minority, but I wish we could've kept him. I saw a freshman that had an NBA body, but could only play well in spurts... kinda like all our freshmen last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Well I guess I'm in the minority, but I wish we could've kept him. I saw a freshman that had an NBA body, but could only play well in spurts... kinda like all our freshmen last year.
    Sure but he didn't want to do what it took to play the four. He wanted to stay on the perimeter and play the three. His best bet would have been to learn to slash to the goal draw fouls and shoot free throws. Make defenders respect his game driving to the basket and mix in his perimeter game when he had open shots. He disappeared down the stretch offensively and wasn't much better defensively. I agree he had a lot of potential but it was just that potential.

vCash
    Lulz what a freaking idiot. Carter too. I agree on being done with him. I don't care what players he has, they're not worth it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Lulz what a freaking idiot. Carter too. I agree on being done with him. I don't care what players he has, they're not worth it.
    Yep and they time asking for the release when Coach Howland isn't in town to create an extra shitstorm. Very cheap way to ask for the release.

vCash
    He just ruined any chance he had. So cool, see ya.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I also don't get why now?

Why didn't Kegler decide to do this earlier?

Did he just get home from school and didn't want to do it with his teammates there?

I don't get the timing.
    When else would he leave? The season ended in early March. He finished out the semester, probably went home and talked it over with family / acquaintances, then decided to bolt. He left pretty much at the earliest opportunity that made sense. He had nothing to gain by leaving in January in the middle of the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Both Spoons and Stapleton are from the Jackson area, and I called Kegler after he was acting like a diva in the high school national tournament. Howland has to stop signing players that show signs of being divas before they even make it to campus. This one is on Howland. If it was obvious to me watching Kegler twice from my ****ing couch he was going to be a problem it has to be more obvious to Howland. STOP SIGNING BABIES
    I wish i had a ****ing couch.

vCash
    I saw him in Zaxby's in jackson the other night repping MSU gear and two other guys that were with him were decked out in MSU gear. Very weird.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by louisvilledawg View Post
    I saw him in Zaxby's in jackson the other night repping MSU gear and two other guys that were with him were decked out in MSU gear. Very weird.
    That's probably most of his wardrobe, to be honest. Athletes get tons and tons of free gear.