Thread: Peyton Plumlee

vCash

Peyton Plumlee

I am really loving the way Plumlee has competed lately on the mound. Most importantly, I love the way he is throwing strikes. Several of us mentioned it in the Game Thread, but you have to think he is the leader in the clubhouse to start Game 2 of our Regional right now, right? McQuary is killing us with the walks, but he wouldn't be the worst Game 3 option....so I think if I'm Cannizaro I'm going Pilk game 1, Plumlee game 2, and either Gordon or McQ in game 3 with the other ready to go in case of early trouble. Your thoughts?

I also like what Andy has done to improve our offense, by putting Cody at 3rd and allowing us to put Macnamee and Vansau in the order while getting LA's bat out of it. We just have to use Poole wisely at the plate, bc he's a K machine. And for the love of goodness, start pinch running for Lovelady's piano toting ass in the late innings when the game is on the line.

But I feel a little more confident that we can put up a fight in a Regional after what I've seen the last few days...specifically Pilk, Plumlee, and Andy's commitment to improve the batting order.

vCash
    I think you let McQuary start and have Plum ready. On Lovelady, it just tells me Cann likes what he provides in the field more than whomever would replace him.

vCash
    Cody playing 3B is basically giving us 4 more competitive at-bats per game. Between Cody@3B, Vansau getting hot, and MacNamee in the lineup...we got 12 at bats that were not pure waste relative the first encounter with the Hogs back in March.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgtini View Post
    I think you let McQuary start and have Plum ready. On Lovelady, it just tells me Cann likes what he provides in the field more than whomever would replace him.
    Yea I'm not saying Lovelady shouldn't start...just that when the game is on the line and he's on base...get some better wheels in there. Lovelady has had some good at bats for us this year in crunch time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Cody playing 3B is basically giving us 4 more competitive at-bats per game. Between Cody@3B, Vansau getting hot, and MacNamee in the lineup...we got 12 at bats that were not pure waste relative the first encounter with the Hogs back in March.
    Great point

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Yea I'm not saying Lovelady shouldn't start...just that when the game is on the line and he's on base...get some better wheels in there. Lovelady has had some good at bats for us this year in crunch time
    But at this point we can't afford to take Lovelady out at any time. He's too valuable behind the plate and if he comes out and god forbid Skelton gets hurt we are up shit creek. Stovall is a catcher but I doubt his hand would survive having to catch any appreciable innings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    But at this point we can't afford to take Lovelady out at any time. He's too valuable behind the plate and if he comes out and god forbid Skelton gets hurt we are up shit creek. Stovall is a catcher but I doubt his hand would survive having to catch any appreciable innings.
    The way this year has gone it wouldn't surprise me if Cody Brown was our starting catcher in the CWS.

vCash
    Plumlee's performance today is even more impressive while watching Arkansas tee off on Auburn pitching right now.

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    The way this year has gone it wouldn't surprise me if Cody Brown was our starting catcher in the CWS.
    Evidently the only thing he can't do is pitch, or we'd have seen him by now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Chucklelips View Post
    Evidently the only thing he can't do is pitch, or we'd have seen him by now.
    If not for Rooker, Cody brown is in the clubhouse as our MVP! And still, even Rooker withstanding he's a valid argument.

vCash
    Well, if Krueger doesn't jump for the MLB and Marrero was a dumb, arrogant shit Canns would have more options. Lovelady does an excellent job handling the staff, and he is a good defensive catcher.

vCash
    It just depends on the draw in the regional. If we're a two seed we probably need to start Pilkington in game one. Plumlee has been much better against non SEC competition as a starting pitcher so I think he would be an option.

I still think I would start McQuary in game two given the situation I expect us to be in at this time. He also does better against non-SEC competition and I think we could get 4-5 innings like we did today and finish it out with Price and Self. We'll see how Gordon does against Florida. I've been encouraged by Parker Ford lately and I also think that Billingsley would be fine against non-SEC competition.

Some of it depends on how Pilkington does. If he goes deep like he did against Georgia it helps us out immensely as we see in the SEC Tournament.

As others have said, we have to keep Lovelady in because we only have one other catcher.