Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goff-'Bama baseball coach fired

vCash

Goff-'Bama baseball coach fired

after one season.

Him trying to revoke scholarships is apparently straw that broke camel's back. Appears to be other issues also

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ETDawg View Post
    after one season.

Him trying to revoke scholarships is apparently straw that broke camel's back. Appears to be other issues also
    Every school revokes scholarships. They just don't come out and say it.

Most every upper class man is told to they won't play or their 60% scholly is dialed back to 20%
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ETDawg View Post
    after one season.

Are there some pitching croots to snake here? I guess Heatherly is fools gold, but how about this dude...

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/...aspx?ID=413655

vCash
    Don't know the guy who wrote this, but it is damning.

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2017/5/2...goff-has-to-go
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    I wonder how many notes and emails he got for hiring Cohen but the difference was he made the hire. Very hard to fire someone after one year especially a guy who has been successful everywhere he has been. I think this time the Ninja will have made a risky move that ends up back firing but we shall see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    I wonder how many notes and emails he got for hiring Cohen but the difference was he made the hire. Very hard to fire someone after one year especially a guy who has been successful everywhere he has been. I think this time the Ninja will have made a risky move that ends up back firing but we shall see.
    The biggest issue is that he apparently told multiple players that their scholarships would not be renewed, which is now against NCAA rules. You can't cut a player for athletic performance.

Basically, it appears that he didn't even have a halfway decent reason to get rid of the players other than he wanted his own guys. That's a no-no now.
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mstatefan91 View Post

What's shitty is that baseball only gets 11.7 scholarships so coaches have to make these extremely tough decisions on who gets scholarship money and what percent. Why this hasn't been changed to at least as many scholarships as roster spots is beyond me.

vCash
    What's shitty is that baseball only gets 11.7 scholarships so coaches have to make these extremely tough decisions on who gets scholarship money and what percent. Why this hasn't been changed to at least as many scholarships as roster spots is beyond me.
    Probably has something to do with Title IX
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    His first call should be to Casey Dunn. Don't care who else is available and what their record is. Casey Dunn knows the state, he's recruited good players to Samford, and he knows how to coach baseball. They would be stupid not to pick the phone up and call him.

vCash
    The biggest issue is that he apparently told multiple players that their scholarships would not be renewed, which is now against NCAA rules. You can't cut a player for athletic performance.

Basically, it appears that he didn't even have a halfway decent reason to get rid of the players other than he wanted his own guys. That's a no-no now.
    Seems like that would be the main reason for non-renewal since that's why they got the scholarship in the first place. I doubt many are on academic scholarships (which CAN be cut for non-performance).

vCash
    Ninja had no choice, Goff fired himself. He was warned by the Administration that he couldn't pull scholly's and he went on anyway and tried to cut 10 guys just last week so he could bring in "his" JUCO's.

Add in an atrocious personality that all but got his program banned from a few high school's in-state, he spurned former players, and turned a cold cheek to program donor's, then he jacked around by handing out player punishment by withholding the players travel per diem. WTF? There was plenty of cause for Ninja to can his ass.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Seems like that would be the main reason for non-renewal since that's why they got the scholarship in the first place. I doubt many are on academic scholarships (which CAN be cut for non-performance).
    NCAA laid down a new rule for all P5 programs.

According to NCAA bylaw 15.3.5.2, institutions cannot revoke or reduce a scholarship because of an athlete’s ability, performance, physical or mental condition. According to NCAA bylaw 15.3.4.3.1, an institution may not set forth an athletically related condition that would permit the institution to reduce or cancel a scholarship if the conditions are not satisfied.

vCash

I'm sure he deserved the ax but this letter sounds like petty fan whining because they're losing. A lot of the stuff he complains about could be said for saban as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    I went to MSU on a full ride academic scholarship. It had GPA and hours taken requirements or I lost the scholarship. If I didn't perform I would lose it. So athletes should be able to have their's pulled for non-performance also in my opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    I went to MSU on a full ride academic scholarship. It had GPA and hours taken requirements or I lost the scholarship. If I didn't perform I would lose it. So athletes should be able to have their's pulled for non-performance also in my opinion.
    Agreed to an extent. But according to a new rule put in place in 2015, power 5 conferences can no longer cut a player solely for athletic performance. There has to be academic trouble, not showing up to meetings/practice, missing games, missing curfew, etc.

This is why many people think Goff had so many team rules. It wasn't to create better discipline but to have the players he wanted off to slip up but apparently that didn't occur. Again, that's the thought and rumor from the fire Goff side.
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    I agree with this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    His first call should be to Casey Dunn. Don't care who else is available and what their record is. Casey Dunn knows the state, he's recruited good players to Samford, and he knows how to coach baseball. They would be stupid not to pick the phone up and call him.
    Hell I think the ninja should call Bianco.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeDawg View Post
    Ninja had no choice, Goff fired himself. He was warned by the Administration that he couldn't pull scholly's and he went on anyway and tried to cut 10 guys just last week so he could bring in "his" JUCO's.

Add in an atrocious personality that all but got his program banned from a few high school's in-state, he spurned former players, and turned a cold cheek to program donor's, then he jacked around by handing out player punishment by withholding the players travel per diem. WTF? There was plenty of cause for Ninja to can his ass.
    You nailed it, read same thing on other boards. Rep given.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Hell I think the ninja should call Bianco.
    Why? LOL. That would be very un-Greg Byrne. I'm not sure who they will go after. I could see Cohen recommending Henderson though.

vCash
    Scott Berry, not a sexy hire but he does a good job at Usm. He knows the recruit area and his players seem to like him.