Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Drink your coffee GM1 Game....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by archdog View Post
    Water isn't wet. Water makes you wet.
    Exactly! Just like whiskey isn't drunk it just gets you drunk.boobs aren't horny... eh you can take it the rest of the way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    Now let's beat the Pigs and take their hosting spot. Would be awesome.
    I think we need to win at least three more and for the Pigs to go two and bar-b-cue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Most people consider the SEC to be around AA level.
    Based on pro performance, though, it definitely isn't. And guys drafted out of the SEC aren't immediately put into AA, much less AAA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Based on pro performance, though, it definitely isn't. And guys drafted out of the SEC aren't immediately put into AA, much less AAA.
    That's because rookie ball is sort of like orientation for work. It gets you in the system. Then a lot of teams will limit college guys if they have played a lot in year one- especially pitchers. On top of that most organizations aren't going to wholesale cut their AA guys for the new guys.

Troll on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by louisvilledawg View Post
    I tried to look up some stats to refute your claim that Alexander puts it in play most of the time. He K's about 30% of his AB's. Went and looked at Poole's stats... He K's about 35% of his ABs. We are a well-oiled strikeout machine.

In stats that don't matter because i doubt he gets another AB this season, Brant Blaylock has 83 ABs on the season. He has 40 (FORTY) strikeouts. Amazing.
    Poole's stats are skewed since he struck out about 80% of the time the last series or so. It seems like Alexander either hits it square at someone or strikes out on a dirt pitch or fastball around the eyeballs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldsleeve Jr. View Post
    Stay with me here, but Im beginning to think our pitching depth is an issue
    Do you really need more than 6 pitchers on your roster? Seems like anything more is just wasting money on hotel rooms and food.****

vCash
    I think Rooker is going to be someone that scouts look back on and wonder why they didn't take him higher. I think the disconnect is a lot of scouts see him as an outfielder and really they should look at him as a first baseman.
    Good post. Yeah, I see him as a future star in the MLB quite easily. If Holmes goes before Rooker like looks to be projected that just tells you how stupid the system is.

vCash
    That's because rookie ball is sort of like orientation for work. It gets you in the system. Then a lot of teams will limit college guys if they have played a lot in year one- especially pitchers. On top of that most organizations aren't going to wholesale cut their AA guys for the new guys.

Troll on.
    Even elite guys like Swanson, bregman, and benintendi played both levels of A ball and AA. I don't think smoot is trolling at all. Renfroe ops'd at .738 his 2nd shot at AA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Why does Cannizaro never wear short sleeves?
    Because looking directly at his guns causes blindness.

vCash
    Fwiw, boomer white was the sec player of year last season and he's ops'n at .552 in A ball with over 250 PAs

vCash

Troll on.
    It's not a troll. Look at the performance of guys starting out in pro ball from the SEC. Dansby Swanson was taken #1 overall after putting up a 1.046 OPS as a junior. He then OPS'd at .876 in short season A ball and .958 at A+ the next year. Then got promoted to AA and posted a .744 OPS.

There is no evidence that the SEC is equivalent to AA. Otherwise you would see some teams try draftees out in MLB immediately since success in AA usually means you could jump straight to the majors. If Rooker was OPS'ing 1.400 at a level at all equivalent to AA, he'd be an easy top-5 draft pick.

The difference between the SEC and rookie or A ball is that you do see some pitchers that are at a different level, guys like David Price, or Kyle Wright, or Alex Faedo, etc. You aren't going to see a guy that advanced in A ball. But overall, it's pretty equivalent.

vCash
    I think it’ more nuanced and case by case

Rooker vs Lange is a legit double AA match-up, maybe higher

Bortles vs Billingsley is rookie league

Kessinger vs Blaylock is MS Class 6A

vCash
    I think Rooker is going to be someone that scouts look back on and wonder why they didn't take him higher. I think the disconnect is a lot of scouts see him as an outfielder and really they should look at him as a first baseman.
    I have a buddy that is a scout for one of the American League organizations and he thinks Rooker is a first rounder. He didn't say they were taking him in the first round but he didn't say the weren't either. Said the talent is there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    I think it’ more nuanced and case by case

Rooker vs Lange is a legit double AA match-up, maybe higher

Bortles vs Billingsley is rookie league

Kessinger vs Blaylock is MS Class 6A
    Yeah, I get that. As I've said, the difference is that the pitching is going to vary more.

But when judging a stat line, which is how the discussion began, past evidence shows that it absolutely is not AAA, definitely isn't AA, and is roughly similar to A-ball, though guys usually have a bit of a dip in stats when starting there as well.

You should expect Rooker to go into A-ball and OPS over 1.000, then move to A+/AA and put up something more like .950. That is still extremely good, so it's not an attempt to throw cold water on him. But it's not as though you can say he would be doing this in the upper levels of the minors.

vCash
    It's not a troll. Look at the performance of guys starting out in pro ball from the SEC. Dansby Swanson was taken #1 overall after putting up a 1.046 OPS as a junior. He then OPS'd at .876 in short season A ball and .958 at A+ the next year. Then got promoted to AA and posted a .744 OPS.

There is no evidence that the SEC is equivalent to AA. Otherwise you would see some teams try draftees out in MLB immediately since success in AA usually means you could jump straight to the majors. If Rooker was OPS'ing 1.400 at a level at all equivalent to AA, he'd be an easy top-5 draft pick.

The difference between the SEC and rookie or A ball is that you do see some pitchers that are at a different level, guys like David Price, or Kyle Wright, or Alex Faedo, etc. You aren't going to see a guy that advanced in A ball. But overall, it's pretty equivalent.
    You do see that sometimes. See Jacob Lindgren. Is every single player in the SEC a AA player? No. But as far as the league as a whole it's comparable. MSU used to beat the Jackson Mets in exhibition games if you want evidence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randolph Dupree View Post
    I have a buddy that is a scout for one of the American League organizations and he thinks Rooker is a first rounder. He didn't say they were taking him in the first round but he didn't say the weren't either. Said the talent is there.
    I have a feeling he goes in the first round. He's too advanced as a hitter.