Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
Not a Hevesy fan here, but I wonder if the myth of him being a bad coach has surpassed the reality.

1. How come none of our former players ever have a bad thing to say about Hevesy? Not saying he's great, but if he were awful, wouldn't one of the former players have said something publicly by now?

2. I would question if your HS coach friend was an MSU fan & if he already had a poor perception of Hevesy before attending practice. Just seems like their could have been a heavy dose of confirmation bias here if your HS coach friend was able to attend one single practice & determine that he wouldn't want his kids playing for Hev. Again, not a fan here & not saying he's wrong, but it seems like the myth may have surpasses reality at this point. I mean, the guy has now been an SEC OL coach for 8 years &, unless we have the wrong RB or QB playing, we've virtually been able to run the football the entire time. So he can't be awful & accomplish that.
I would say Hev if u have ever spent 5 minutes with the guy u would think he is a jerk however once his players are in he really builds great relationships with them. I've seen him grab a couple of oline and go watch a men's basketball game and they are cutting up having a good time. Hev issue recruiting is he needs to recruit the high school coaches first. He needs a strong rapport with them first to ever get to the player because they are the gatekeeper in most instances but when u walk in all Billy Bada$$ and I'm the sec coach acting bigger/better than the gatekeeper then u don't get far