Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Mullen/MSU football taking another step?

vCash

Is Mullen/MSU football taking another step?

Guys this Mayden pick up is big time. Dan Mullen, whose biggest criticism is recruitung, just snagged the top QB in Texas after getting the Louisiana player of the year QB last year. We also have Malik Heath on board and a good shot with Guidry and others.

If the recruiting continues to progress as it has lately, we could be witnessing a Frank Beamer Virginia Tech type step like we've hoped for, where starting in 2018-2020 we may be a perennial 9+ win team and potentially jump a few teams in the SEC. By holding on to Dan, we now have a top coach in this league, and the timing is good with the troubles in Oxford, to get the best in the State the next several years.

I'm not going to get too excited yet, but I really like the trend, and feel like we could be witnessing the beginning of another step up the ladder for our football program.

Your thoughts?

vCash
    I almost left out, we also seem to have a Dan Mullen that has accepted MSU as "home", and I feel like he is all in, which probably helps that recruiting progress some too

vCash
    This years recruiting is exciting, would love to get Bohanon too. Bohanon is an excellent athlete that can play anywhere on the field and who knows maybe he can beat Mayden out. I don't remember the last time we had this many quality commits this early, plus it makes it more fun knowing Mississippi only has 2 commits right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I almost left out, we also seem to have a Dan Mullen that has accepted MSU as "home", and I feel like he is all in, which probably helps that recruiting progress some too
    I was thinking the same thing. I'm quietly optimistic about our future. Not expecting a lot this year(hopefully decent), but better seasons are in front of us I believe.

vCash
    Yes, Mullen has been slowly progressing this program as opposed to OM trying to rig the system and jump to perennial greatness. History will show that Mullen's method has paid off.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    We still have Hevesy so that 1 step forward, 2 steps back thing is still in play.

vCash
    As long as "The Country Club" is still intact, I can't see us taking the next step. Hevesy is an Albatross that very few high school coaches can tolerate, much less like.....I talked to a HS coach that attended one of our spring practices and he said the one thing that stood out in his mind was Hevesy and how he wouldn't want any of his kids playing for him....

vCash
    We certainly making enormous strides in building a program that can sustain winning & remain competitive year after year, but, if we are truly going to start taking the program to another level, we've got to start landing higher rated OL.

As much as the Mayden commitment highlights how far our program has come, committing a 4+ star OL would potentially mean as much if not more.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    I talked to a HS coach that attended one of our spring practices and he said the one thing that stood out in his mind was Hevesy and how he wouldn't want any of his kids playing for him....
    Not a Hevesy fan here, but I wonder if the myth of him being a bad coach has surpassed the reality.

1. How come none of our former players ever have a bad thing to say about Hevesy? Not saying he's great, but if he were awful, wouldn't one of the former players have said something publicly by now?

2. I would question if your HS coach friend was an MSU fan & if he already had a poor perception of Hevesy before attending practice. Just seems like their could have been a heavy dose of confirmation bias here if your HS coach friend was able to attend one single practice & determine that he wouldn't want his kids playing for Hev. Again, not a fan here & not saying he's wrong, but it seems like the myth may have surpasses reality at this point. I mean, the guy has now been an SEC OL coach for 8 years &, unless we have the wrong RB or QB playing, we've virtually been able to run the football the entire time. So he can't be awful & accomplish that.

vCash
    When Mullen arrived he had a football program with no tradition of sustained winning, no reputation for putting players into the league at skill positions, sub-par facilities, a town with a reputation of being dead, a stadium with ZERO gameday atmosphere, playing in the toughest division in the toughest conference in the country, having to recruit against perennial national powers AND the cheatingist SOBs in the history of CFB.

Even the most enlightened among us - including random posters like C34 - admitted openly that to truly build a program into a contending power would take at least 10 years of bowl games every year and occasional jumps to 10 wins, etc. to consistently get the type players and attention to reverse 100 years of bad football traditions. It was only when Mullen began producing on a national level with 3-stars (years ahead of what EVERYONE thought) that those enlightened souls began dogging began critiquing Mullen for being a bad recruiter, and blaming Dan for not "taking advantage of 2014". Well, starting last year for the first time ever, we are recruiting kids who's only visions of MSU and Starkville are POSITIVE. They have seen Dan put McKinney, Slay, Banks, Jones and Dak - among 28 total guys in NFL camps right now. Twenty-Eight. They have seen us at #1. They have seen us on GameDay. They have seen Starkville featured everywhere. They have seen us put the face of the future on the Dallas Cowboys.

What Dan has built has coming to fruition. And yes, it took 10 years. But, quality, lasting products take time. There are bumps along the way. But we are just now at the point of having everything the big boys have and kids are noticing. The next 10 will show it.

vCash
    Really liked us stepping up and hiring a known commodity at D.C.

vCash
    There is no question the CDM has put more emphasis on recruiting. The off the field coaches / recruiters hired, the defensive hires .
    Still have the CC boys as some call them that can be a hamstring ( one in particular) but CDM has made moves to improve areas. It will pay off..

vCash
    My biggest concern about what Mullen has built is whether or not it's all tied to Mullen or if it an sustain Mullen leaving?

If & when Mullen leaves, if the program can sustain & continue to build under the next coach, I'll feel much better.

vCash
    If you look at former OLine players... They are always posting pictures of them and Hev. together...Never really see them post pics of them and Dan. Not a shot at Dan by any means...I just believe Hev and Dan are just alike. They might come across as a$$holes when you first meet them, but they want nothing but the best for their players. Tebow said he almost never went to Florida because of Dan, but now he considers him one of his best friends.

vCash
    I don't think we can determine that yet. I need to see 2 things:

1) How this season plays out
    2) How this recruiting class plays out

We need an 8-4 season for me to say we've taken a next step. Additionally, we probably need a Top 20 recruiting class on top of that to push us over that next hump. 7-5 and a class in the Top 30 would not be a step forward. We have to win 8 and we have to be able to keep our big commits and get some more in order to parlay that into a step forward in my view.

But I think we are in the spot to be able to take that next step. I think most of us for a while have looked to the 2018 year as THE year. Senior QB, experienced OL, lot of juniors and seniors on defense, good stable of RBs. So if we can make it 8 wins this year, we could really turn that into success for 2018.

vCash
    I think winning National Championships and Bowl Games are great for players but let's be honest most of them have the ultimate goal of reaching the NFL and Mullen has gotten the representation of being able to get kids in specifically QB's. I also think Saban is getting a bad rep for burning out players. He gets them to the NFL but considering the number he gets there they don't do much. They are burned out. Out of the last four running backs he has put in the NFL how many 1000 yard season has there been. I am not sure but maybe Ingram has one. I could be very wrong about that. I think parents are starting to recognize it and other coaches are going to use it against him.

But the biggest recruiting tool we have now is DAk. Everyone one knows who Dak is and where he came from and who coach him and I mean everyone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Not a Hevesy fan here, but I wonder if the myth of him being a bad coach has surpassed the reality.

1. How come none of our former players ever have a bad thing to say about Hevesy? Not saying he's great, but if he were awful, wouldn't one of the former players have said something publicly by now?

2. I would question if your HS coach friend was an MSU fan & if he already had a poor perception of Hevesy before attending practice. Just seems like their could have been a heavy dose of confirmation bias here if your HS coach friend was able to attend one single practice & determine that he wouldn't want his kids playing for Hev. Again, not a fan here & not saying he's wrong, but it seems like the myth may have surpasses reality at this point. I mean, the guy has now been an SEC OL coach for 8 years &, unless we have the wrong RB or QB playing, we've virtually been able to run the football the entire time. So he can't be awful & accomplish that.
    The High School Coach is a MSU Grad....we have never been able to run the ball against an upper tier SEC defense...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    we have never been able to run the ball against an upper tier SEC defense...
    No one does. That's what makes them upper tier.

vCash
    We are on the verge of becoming the LSU of Mississippi. It's coming.

The Golden Age of Mississippi State football has yet to happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    When Mullen arrived he had a football program with no tradition of sustained winning, no reputation for putting players into the league at skill positions, sub-par facilities, a town with a reputation of being dead, a stadium with ZERO gameday atmosphere, playing in the toughest division in the toughest conference in the country, having to recruit against perennial national powers AND the cheatingist SOBs in the history of CFB.

Even the most enlightened among us - including random posters like C34 - admitted openly that to truly build a program into a contending power would take at least 10 years of bowl games every year and occasional jumps to 10 wins, etc. to consistently get the type players and attention to reverse 100 years of bad football traditions. It was only when Mullen began producing on a national level with 3-stars (years ahead of what EVERYONE thought) that those enlightened souls began dogging began critiquing Mullen for being a bad recruiter, and blaming Dan for not "taking advantage of 2014". Well, starting last year for the first time ever, we are recruiting kids who's only visions of MSU and Starkville are POSITIVE. They have seen Dan put McKinney, Slay, Banks, Jones and Dak - among 28 total guys in NFL camps right now. Twenty-Eight. They have seen us at #1. They have seen us on GameDay. They have seen Starkville featured everywhere. They have seen us put the face of the future on the Dallas Cowboys.

What Dan has built has coming to fruition. And yes, it took 10 years. But, quality, lasting products take time. There are bumps along the way. But we are just now at the point of having everything the big boys have and kids are noticing. The next 10 will show it.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BrunswickDawg again.