Beast covered the selection/buying pretty much. I started with a cheap 10' Pelican SOT. I started going A LOT and ended up picking up a 14' Heritage Redfish (old style with a better seat than now) for a great price and enjoyed it even more. I'm now fishing out of a Jackson Cuda 12 and wouldn't change anything about it. The raised seats on most kayaks now are a game changer. I can fish all day and not be hurting so bad.

As far as locations to fish, I fish everywhere from the reefs out front to way up in the rivers & marsh. That said, BSL is my #1 spot, because there's some good access to spots that hold plenty of fish year round. I live in the Pass, so I can get to the launch in 5min and be unloaded and fishing in no time. That's the reason I fish the kayak more than boat. On a Saturday morning, I can be back at the house and have everything cleaned up before the family is really ready for the day. If you ever want to learn some spots down this way, I'd be glad to point you in the right direction for that time (best as I can) or get out there with you. I'm always in for an excuse to fish more.

"around Lake Catherine"
Some good kayak fishing around there too. I used to launch at Ft. Pike often, but haven't been over there in probably 2-3 years.