Thread: Randolph Dupree (Outdoor Dawg poster) has Kayak Question for the Board

vCash

Randolph Dupree (Outdoor Dawg poster) has Kayak Question for the Board

(I didn't want this lost in the other thread. This is his post copied/pasted)

So, I have a question for the guys that fish MS. The last few years I've been fishing with a buddy of mine in LA around Lake Catherine and we've done well but I would like to do some on my own. I'm not going to jump off into a bay boat anytime soon but I've noticed several guys that use kayaks and am thinking of going that route. Where is a good place (area) to fish with something like that, and what time of year is best? I grew up and live in central MS but my mom's family is from BSL and I literally have family scattered from BSL all the way to the MS/AL state line so I can pretty much access anywhere...only problem is none of them are serious about fishing so they aren't much help.

vCash
    Kayaks are awesome for so many reasons. I live in central MS but marsh fishing is my thing. That said, I fish freshwater in my area somewhat regularly and then make a handful of yak trips a year to the MS coast or LA Marsh. There isn't really a wrong time of the year but in certain areas the tactics and specie will change with the season. The biggest advice I can give you is to demo kayaks and see what you like. Everything Kayak on the Coast and there is a big yak shop in Hattiesburg that does demo days also.

vCash
    The first thing you need to decide is what your budget for your boat is. The cream of the crop is a hobie pro angler at $3,500 but you can get quality kayaks all the way down to a few hundred bucks if you buy used and stay on the lookout for deals. I posted a deal at Academy in Jackson last week for a Heritage Redfish 12 for $299. Absolute steal for an entry level yak.

I'm on my 3rd boat and and currently have 2 with my most recent old one as a guest yak. I went from a Pelican Castaway 116 (used for $150) to a Ascend FS128T (new for $799) to a KC 12 (new for $ 1,500). I look back at the Pelican and it totally sucks to what
    i have now but it got me in the door. I figured out what I liked and what I valued while on the water. It also got me in to doing a few mods on a cheap boat with little anxiety. Now I can drill in a $1,500 boat without having a panic attack. Moving up to the Ascend was a huge jump and I loved fishing out of that layout. I really had my game dialed in on that boat but it had some defenses as well that I wanted to upgrade to. Right now I love my current boat. Does everything I need to to and I'm happy. There are kayak snobs out there that will tell you you're wasting your money if you don't get a hobie and I couldn't disagree more.

As far as locations for yak fishing, it's almost unlimited. I constantly study google earth for areas to fish. I have a million areas I'm relatively familiar with and have not fished yet.

Any specific questions you have, fire away. I'm willing to help and I know others that yak fish like Speck or Uncle Ruckus have great info they can add too.

vCash
    Beast covered the selection/buying pretty much. I started with a cheap 10' Pelican SOT. I started going A LOT and ended up picking up a 14' Heritage Redfish (old style with a better seat than now) for a great price and enjoyed it even more. I'm now fishing out of a Jackson Cuda 12 and wouldn't change anything about it. The raised seats on most kayaks now are a game changer. I can fish all day and not be hurting so bad.

As far as locations to fish, I fish everywhere from the reefs out front to way up in the rivers & marsh. That said, BSL is my #1 spot, because there's some good access to spots that hold plenty of fish year round. I live in the Pass, so I can get to the launch in 5min and be unloaded and fishing in no time. That's the reason I fish the kayak more than boat. On a Saturday morning, I can be back at the house and have everything cleaned up before the family is really ready for the day. If you ever want to learn some spots down this way, I'd be glad to point you in the right direction for that time (best as I can) or get out there with you. I'm always in for an excuse to fish more.

"around Lake Catherine"
    Some good kayak fishing around there too. I used to launch at Ft. Pike often, but haven't been over there in probably 2-3 years.

vCash
    I agre with everyone's sentiments above. My first kayak is an Emotion Mojo Angler that has some mods to it. I don't get out in it enough to really spend serious money on a Hobie or some othe $2,500 dollar boat. Mine has its pros and cons but I like it. As far as fishing, I live on the Ross Barnett Reservior but hardly ever fish it. I has some friends that have private ponds we fish, Calling Panther (put in at the creek), Roosevelt in Morton and trying out Holmes 2 lakes soon. We take a trip every year into the Ozarks and fish for smallmouth for a few days so storage is a must for me. I really enjoy fishing from a kayak although I still can't stand and fish.

vCash
    Thanks guys. I've been out now 5 or 6 times and I'm hooked. Nothing better than coming in with a load of specs for supper.

Price isn't a huge issue, but I doubt I'm going for the $3,500 rig right off the bat. Whatever I buy will get used, may not be on the marsh as much but in the swamp and my local spots for sure. I'm looking at the KC, a Cabela's version, and a couple others but plan to check out the others that y'all have listed. I've been in a few cheap versions and I think stability is going to be my number one goal. I plan to use it for wood duck shoots in my swamp too, plus I'm looking for something I could stand up in every now and then. Got into the fly fishing a few years back and plan to try some of that when conditions are right.

We launch near Ft. Pike and run across the lake to the marsh, not sure I'd want to try that in a yak though. Once you guys launch, let's just say in BSL, how far is it from where you launch to where you fish? Keep in mind my experience is all marsh, so that's what's in my mind but my goal is to catch reds, and specs (mainly specs).

vCash
    I'm biased because I'm a new KC owner. I love it. I got the trolling motor package and having that is pretty awesome. A cpl weeks ago I took it out without the tm to really get a feel of how it paddles and it's a great paddle compaired to my Ascend. The high sides do catch the wind a bit. That's my only complaint. I can stand and fish and at only 64 lbs it's really easy to load and unload. It's also a blank canvas with a ton of gear track so you can customize however you want. One thing I will throw out there is I had no idea how many used Hobie outbacks were in that price range. I would have looked at them more closely had I known that but I'm very happy with what I got.

Jackson's are sick boats so I'm sure Speck could sway you that way

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randolph Dupree View Post
    Thanks guys. I've been out now 5 or 6 times and I'm hooked. Nothing better than coming in with a load of specs for supper.

Price isn't a huge issue, but I doubt I'm going for the $3,500 rig right off the bat. Whatever I buy will get used, may not be on the marsh as much but in the swamp and my local spots for sure. I'm looking at the KC, a Cabela's version, and a couple others but plan to check out the others that y'all have listed. I've been in a few cheap versions and I think stability is going to be my number one goal. I plan to use it for wood duck shoots in my swamp too, plus I'm looking for something I could stand up in every now and then. Got into the fly fishing a few years back and plan to try some of that when conditions are right.

We launch near Ft. Pike and run across the lake to the marsh, not sure I'd want to try that in a yak though. Once you guys launch, let's just say in BSL, how far is it from where you launch to where you fish? Keep in mind my experience is all marsh, so that's what's in my mind but my goal is to catch reds, and specs (mainly specs).
    From my favorite launch (Henderson point) it's about a 5min paddle in either direction to where I start fishing. The one thing that will frustrate the hell out of you in MS is the new 15" trout limit or at least it sure does me. I have some friends that love to kayak fish the marsh, but are leary about the "open water". Once you get in these parts of BSL in a kayak, you'll quickly realize it's not a big deal.

My Cuda is very stable compared to my previous yaks. I can stand and fish in the marsh and take a leak in open water easily. Others are definitely more stable, but I have no issues.

Now, night fishing in a kayak is a little farther paddle from there, but....worth it.

vCash
    I have a buddy that can literally jump up and down in his Field and Strem Shadow Caster. It is as stable as they come but it is super heavy at 95lbs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dawgnight15 View Post
    I have a buddy that can literally jump up and down in his Field and Strem Shadow Caster. It is as stable as they come but it is super heavy at 95lbs.
    It's a good looking boat at that price point (800ish). It's a bit heavy and it looks like it's a barge to paddle like my Ascend. But if it's that stable, it's got to be a great fishing platform.

vCash
    Anybody used a Nu Canoe? I think I've narrowed my search to that and the KC. They appear similar.

vCash
    Anybody used a Nu Canoe? I think I've narrowed my search to that and the KC. They appear similar.
    Nucanoe is a good boat. Nothing but great reviews. I've never been on one but KC vs Nucanoe really comes to one thing rotomolded polyethylene (Nucanoe) vs thermoformed ABS (KC). The Nucanoe will be a bit sturdier & heavier while the KC will be lighter but a little more prone to a crack if you take a big impact from dropping or whatever. The ABS is more resistant to oyster and ramp rash though where the polyethylene will get nicked up. I think most yak guys would say they prefer the durability of the rotomolded polyethylene. What won me over to KC and eased any concern about the ABS is the fact that they are in Baton Rouge and will fix it for you should you have an issue. Those guys stand behind their product. When I looked at it and really prodded and pressed on it, the KC ABS is much more sturdy than my old Ascend and some other kayaks I looked at (FS Shadow Caster & Perlican Catch/Enforcer). At 64lbs I can move it around easily. Most high-end kayaks are rotomolded polyethylene.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Nucanoe is a good boat. Nothing but great reviews. I've never been on one but KC vs Nucanoe really comes to one thing rotomolded polyethylene (Nucanoe) vs thermoformed ABS (KC). The Nucanoe will be a bit sturdier & heavier while the KC will be lighter but a little more prone to a crack if you take a big impact from dropping or whatever. The ABS is more resistant to oyster and ramp rash though where the polyethylene will get nicked up. I think most yak guys would say they prefer the durability of the rotomolded polyethylene. What won me over to KC and eased any concern about the ABS is the fact that they are in Baton Rouge and will fix it for you should you have an issue. Those guys stand behind their product. When I looked at it and really prodded and pressed on it, the KC ABS is much more sturdy than my old Ascend and some other kayaks I looked at (FS Shadow Caster & Perlican Catch/Enforcer). At 64lbs I can move it around easily. Most high-end kayaks are rotomolded polyethylene.
    right now my draw to Nucanoe is the option of adding a bow mounted trolling motor. My ultimate goal there would be to add one of the remote motors and use a wireless foot pedal with it to keep my hands free. Downer of that set-up is my weight would be well over 100lbs at that point so it would make loading and unloading a beast.

vCash
    right now my draw to Nucanoe is the option of adding a bow mounted trolling motor. My ultimate goal there would be to add one of the remote motors and use a wireless foot pedal with it to keep my hands free. Downer of that set-up is my weight would be well over 100lbs at that point so it would make loading and unloading a beast.
    Oh that's a cool idea. Would also leave the back open for you to be a baller and get a power pole micro