Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Gridley 1st team All-SEC SS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Robertson is from Texas so TOPS had no effect on him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    Robertson is from Texas so TOPS had no effect on him.
    They don't have to use their 11.7 on any player from Louisiana. Or at least any player that's semi-competent in the classroom. So indirectly it does, because it gives them more to use on non-Louisiana players.

vCash
    TOPS is actually probably going to decline if not be phased out in the coming years in Louisiana. If I'm not mistaken, it already has gone through some cuts.

We do similar things as LSU but of course it's a little bit different because we don't have TOPS in Mississippi. We use academic scholarships, grants, and things like that to make up for the windfall. Some of those academic monies don't change while you are in school as long as the student maintains the requirements to keep the scholarship. Actually if I remember correctly some of mine actually increased when I became a junior.

This TOPS thing is an issue because Ron Polk bitched about it and how unfair it was and didn't do anything about it like Cohen and Cann did, have, and will and our fans have kind of latched on to it and use it as an excuse and claim it as a disadvantage.

I'm very glad that we have a coach from LSU because I'm pretty sure Cann in addition to his scouting insight and how things work on that end also knows how LSU convinces players to come back for their senior year. And apparently he was one of the major reasons those players came back to school.

vCash
    Not to take away from any of the great points in this thread....but to a college guy making $0.00, a $410,000 signing bonus is life changing money. Hell, that's life changing money to me too. You can pay off a mortgage and student loans (if you have any), and start whatever career you choose debt free in life and have a little nest egg. Is it the type of money where you can go ahead and retire, no...but I think we can all agree that having $400k in the bank would have been pretty great when heading off to work for the first time.

That being said, I bet there are so many guys that leave college thinking $400-$500k is so much money, only to be sitting there without any of it 4-5 years down the road and wishing they had played that extra year. For guys that actually project to MLB, they absolutely benefit by turning down the money and coming back if they're not top 10-12 rounds....but I totally understand guys like Kruger or others that may not project as sure fire big leaguers taking that pay day while they have a chance, bc they know within a few years of sitting in the minors they'll probably be working in the real world after that.

So where I think Andy helps us most, is recruiting more guys that project as MLB guys, which in turn will make a decision like that easier. They will be highly thought of out of HS instead of projects or Jucos, and they'll be on a perennial winner getting lots of pub, playing for a coach with scouting connections to tell them exactly what they should do, which combined is what leads to more guys staying in my opinion. But with AC, another big key will be having a stud to step in behind them if they do go ahead and leave because they're high draft picks. Andy will help bring all of those factors into play in my opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Not to take away from any of the great points in this thread....but to a college guy making $0.00, a $410,000 signing bonus is life changing money. Hell, that's life changing money to me too. You can pay off a mortgage and student loans (if you have any), and start whatever career you choose debt free in life and have a little nest egg. Is it the type of money where you can go ahead and retire, no...but I think we can all agree that having $400k in the bank would have been pretty great when heading off to work for the first time.

That being said, I bet there are so many guys that leave college thinking $400-$500k is so much money, only to be sitting there without any of it 4-5 years down the road and wishing they had played that extra year. For guys that actually project to MLB, they absolutely benefit by turning down the money and coming back if they're not top 10-12 rounds....but I totally understand guys like Kruger or others that may not project as sure fire big leaguers taking that pay day while they have a chance, bc they know within a few years of sitting in the minors they'll probably be working in the real world after that.

So where I think Andy helps us most, is recruiting more guys that project as MLB guys, which in turn will make a decision like that easier. They will be highly thought of out of HS instead of projects or Jucos, and they'll be on a perennial winner getting lots of pub, playing for a coach with scouting connections to tell them exactly what they should do, which combined is what leads to more guys staying in my opinion. But with AC, another big key will be having a stud to step in behind them if they do go ahead and leave because they're high draft picks. Andy will help bring all of those factors into play in my opinion.
    If you really want to take a pragmatic and critical approach to it, it's really only $220k after taxes take a huge chunk, but I digress. If we were taking scholarships away from juniors before they had even decided as was stated earlier in this thread, no wonder we didn't keep many.

vCash
    If you really want to take a pragmatic and critical approach to it, it's really only $220k after taxes take a huge chunk, but I digress. If we were taking scholarships away from juniors before they had even decided as was stated earlier in this thread, no wonder we didn't keep many.
    That is also about 4 years worth of normal salary in the bank while you go after your dream of playing baseball. If Kruger was good about school then he might can even finish online or at least get close. It would be hard to pass up that amount of money because coming back probably gets you at most $10k signing bonus as a Senior.

vCash
    True about the $220k after taxes. Good point. Still a chunk to a broke college kid that can get that plus $40k per year to play minor league ball

vCash

I'm a little confused. Are you arguing that we have a better chance of getting the guys with MLB futures, who were highly thought of coming out of HS, to stay for their senior years? I would argue that is incredibly unlikely.

Guys not drafted in the top 10-12 rounds, especially out of college, have a very low chance of making the majors, so they are pretty much always right to take the money if they get an offer close to what Kruger got last year. Once you drop into the $100,000 or less range, you start to have a tougher decision.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I'm a little confused. Are you arguing that we have a better chance of getting the guys with MLB futures, who were highly thought of coming out of HS, to stay for their senior years? I would argue that is incredibly unlikely.

Guys not drafted in the top 10-12 rounds, especially out of college, have a very low chance of making the majors, so they are pretty much always right to take the money if they get an offer close to what Kruger got last year. Once you drop into the $100,000 or less range, you start to have a tougher decision.
    Lol should be used to that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    Lol should be used to that
    It's funny, you have this idea that I post for no other reason than to troll, then you post stuff like this.

You seem cool.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    It's funny, you have this idea that I post for no other reason than to troll, then you post stuff like this.

You seem cool.
    I don't think you troll at all. I just think you suck at this.

vCash

Seriously?

I'm saying that a guy like Rooker is smart to stay last year, bc he clearly had MLB potential and tools...so he had a higher likelihood of increasing draft status and therefore either increasing signing bonus, or fast tracking to the league where contracts are huge. Meanwhile, a guy like Vance Tatum better get every bit of signing bonus as he can, bc he knows unless something changes in a major way, he ain't going to be on a MLB roster probably ever, so don't leave money on the table.

Cannizaro will get us less projects, and more sure fire future MLB guys. Therefore, you end up with guys that know they'll be in the show, so improving draft stock and fast tracking their route to the MLB by being a top round pick, means more than a few hundred thousand, bc they have aspirations and a likelihood of making millions soon.

Gridley is a great example. If I'm AC, I tell him you should seriously consider going if you want to maximize your bonus and if you do indeed get offered a good bonus, bc millions are not in his future playing baseball. Whereas, I would tell Mangum that unless someone goes crazy and offers him millions in a bonus, he should stay put bc I think you could potentially make millions in the big leagues one day. If you come back and get stronger, and improve to where you aren't as raw, and increase your draft spot to top few rounds, youll get a bigger bonus next year AND you'll be on more of a fast track to the league where your bonus won't matter much anyway.

It's not that difficult imo. Guys that are longshots to be MLB players should take their biggest bonus chance as Juniors. Guys with real MLB potential should stay as long as it takes to get drafted highest. Bc you're going to get to the big show quicker as a higher draft pick, and bonus means less if you're closer to a MLB contract by increasing draft stock.

vCash
    If I'm Gridley and someone offers me $200k, I'm gone. If I'm Mangum and someone offers me $500k, I'm coming back to MSU.

Why? Gridley doesn't project as a MLB player, so $200k is likely his biggest ever baseball check. Mangum has MLB tools, and could get stronger and become a MLB player, which would put him making way over $500K. Plus, Mangum still has leverage after next year

vCash
    Seriously?

I'm saying that a guy like Rooker is smart to stay last year, bc he clearly had MLB potential and tools...so he had a higher likelihood of increasing draft status and therefore either increasing signing bonus, or fast tracking to the league where contracts are huge. Meanwhile, a guy like Vance Tatum better get every bit of signing bonus as he can, bc he knows unless something changes in a major way, he ain't going to be on a MLB roster probably ever, so don't leave money on the table.

Cannizaro will get us less projects, and more sure fire future MLB guys. Therefore, you end up with guys that know they'll be in the show, so improving draft stock and fast tracking their route to the MLB by being a top round pick, means more than a few hundred thousand, bc they have aspirations and a likelihood of making millions soon.

Gridley is a great example. If I'm AC, I tell him you should seriously consider going if you want to maximize your bonus and if you do indeed get offered a good bonus, bc millions are not in his future playing baseball. Whereas, I would tell Mangum that unless someone goes crazy and offers him millions in a bonus, he should stay put bc I think you could potentially make millions in the big leagues one day. If you come back and get stronger, and improve to where you aren't as raw, and increase your draft spot to top few rounds, youll get a bigger bonus next year AND you'll be on more of a fast track to the league where your bonus won't matter much anyway.

It's not that difficult imo. Guys that are longshots to be MLB players should take their biggest bonus chance as Juniors. Guys with real MLB potential should stay as long as it takes to get drafted highest. Bc you're going to get to the big show quicker as a higher draft pick, and bonus means less if you're closer to a MLB contract by increasing draft stock.
    I certainly hope this is the case, but we don't really know, and LSU has absolutely not been built on those guys. Their program recently has been built primarily on the tweener guys who are more the strong college player than the guy with the clear MLB future.

Which is fine, I'm more than happy if we go that route if it means we win a bunch of games. I'm just not yet convinced we're going to see this seismic shift in our recruiting and our ability to get high draft picks into school. Our program has been very good recently at producing MLB players, after all, better than most good college programs. It's going to be tough to do an even better job of that.

vCash
    Is this argument over gridley? If gridley gets anywhere even remotely close to that, he gone. If he comes back, he plays MiLB starting out with around 5-10k

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Is this argument over gridley? If gridley gets anywhere even remotely close to that, he gone. If he comes back, he plays MiLB starting out with around 5-10k
    This was talking about Kruger. I see Gridley taken in the mid to late 20s.

vCash
    This was talking about Kruger. I see Gridley taken in the mid to late 20s.
    Gotcha... I'll try and catch up

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Gotcha... I'll try and catch up
    Get your shit together, 7. **

vCash
    Get your shit together, 7. **
    Trying

vCash
    Freeman turned down $300k
    Robertson turned down $250k

Next question?
    Wow... let's see what they parlayed that into come June. That was probably an incredibly dumb financial decision