Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Gridley 1st team All-SEC SS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    It's not about where you're drafted, it's about what you're offered. Look at Kruger.
    Depends on the player. I don't believe MLB always offers our guys more money than LSU's. Cann having a reputation of keeping players may cause MLB to not go after our players quite as much as well.

vCash
    Not to take away from any of the great points in this thread....but to a college guy making $0.00, a $410,000 signing bonus is life changing money. Hell, that's life changing money to me too. You can pay off a mortgage and student loans (if you have any), and start whatever career you choose debt free in life and have a little nest egg. Is it the type of money where you can go ahead and retire, no...but I think we can all agree that having $400k in the bank would have been pretty great when heading off to work for the first time.

That being said, I bet there are so many guys that leave college thinking $400-$500k is so much money, only to be sitting there without any of it 4-5 years down the road and wishing they had played that extra year. For guys that actually project to MLB, they absolutely benefit by turning down the money and coming back if they're not top 10-12 rounds....but I totally understand guys like Kruger or others that may not project as sure fire big leaguers taking that pay day while they have a chance, bc they know within a few years of sitting in the minors they'll probably be working in the real world after that.

So where I think Andy helps us most, is recruiting more guys that project as MLB guys, which in turn will make a decision like that easier. They will be highly thought of out of HS instead of projects or Jucos, and they'll be on a perennial winner getting lots of pub, playing for a coach with scouting connections to tell them exactly what they should do, which combined is what leads to more guys staying in my opinion. But with AC, another big key will be having a stud to step in behind them if they do go ahead and leave because they're high draft picks. Andy will help bring all of those factors into play in my opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Depends on the player. I don't believe MLB always offers our guys more money than LSU's. Cann having a reputation of keeping players may cause MLB to not go after our players quite as much as well.
    Agreed Todd. Cann's reputation for developing hitters and his scouting connections will help us out tremendously in judging who we can get and keep on campus. Helping develop players like Bregman and Rooker will only help our cause. Bregman credits Cann with his hitting development.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Not to take away from any of the great points in this thread....but to a college guy making $0.00, a $410,000 signing bonus is life changing money. Hell, that's life changing money to me too. You can pay off a mortgage and student loans (if you have any), and start whatever career you choose debt free in life and have a little nest egg. Is it the type of money where you can go ahead and retire, no...but I think we can all agree that having $400k in the bank would have been pretty great when heading off to work for the first time.

That being said, I bet there are so many guys that leave college thinking $400-$500k is so much money, only to be sitting there without any of it 4-5 years down the road and wishing they had played that extra year. For guys that actually project to MLB, they absolutely benefit by turning down the money and coming back if they're not top 10-12 rounds....but I totally understand guys like Kruger or others that may not project as sure fire big leaguers taking that pay day while they have a chance, bc they know within a few years of sitting in the minors they'll probably be working in the real world after that.

So where I think Andy helps us most, is recruiting more guys that project as MLB guys, which in turn will make a decision like that easier. They will be highly thought of out of HS instead of projects or Jucos, and they'll be on a perennial winner getting lots of pub, playing for a coach with scouting connections to tell them exactly what they should do, which combined is what leads to more guys staying in my opinion. But with AC, another big key will be having a stud to step in behind them if they do go ahead and leave because they're high draft picks. Andy will help bring all of those factors into play in my opinion.
    If you really want to take a pragmatic and critical approach to it, it's really only $220k after taxes take a huge chunk, but I digress. If we were taking scholarships away from juniors before they had even decided as was stated earlier in this thread, no wonder we didn't keep many.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    If you really want to take a pragmatic and critical approach to it, it's really only $220k after taxes take a huge chunk, but I digress. If we were taking scholarships away from juniors before they had even decided as was stated earlier in this thread, no wonder we didn't keep many.
    That is also about 4 years worth of normal salary in the bank while you go after your dream of playing baseball. If Kruger was good about school then he might can even finish online or at least get close. It would be hard to pass up that amount of money because coming back probably gets you at most $10k signing bonus as a Senior.

vCash
    True about the $220k after taxes. Good point. Still a chunk to a broke college kid that can get that plus $40k per year to play minor league ball

vCash
    Is this argument over gridley? If gridley gets anywhere even remotely close to that, he gone. If he comes back, he plays MiLB starting out with around 5-10k

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Is this argument over gridley? If gridley gets anywhere even remotely close to that, he gone. If he comes back, he plays MiLB starting out with around 5-10k
    This was talking about Kruger. I see Gridley taken in the mid to late 20s.

vCash
    This was talking about Kruger. I see Gridley taken in the mid to late 20s.
    Gotcha... I'll try and catch up

vCash
    Gotcha... I'll try and catch up
    Get your shit together, 7. **

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with the school. But the examples are all pulled from last year, and there was definitely a difference last year. Cann isn't talking anyone out of $400,000, no matter where they're drafted.

vCash
    I don't think it has anything to do with the school. But the examples are all pulled from last year, and there was definitely a difference last year. Cann isn't talking anyone out of $400,000, no matter where they're drafted.
    Freeman turned down $300k
    Robertson turned down $250k

Next question?

vCash
    Get your shit together, 7. **
    Trying

vCash

I'm a little confused. Are you arguing that we have a better chance of getting the guys with MLB futures, who were highly thought of coming out of HS, to stay for their senior years? I would argue that is incredibly unlikely.

Guys not drafted in the top 10-12 rounds, especially out of college, have a very low chance of making the majors, so they are pretty much always right to take the money if they get an offer close to what Kruger got last year. Once you drop into the $100,000 or less range, you start to have a tougher decision.

vCash

Next question?
    Where did you get those numbers?

vCash
    Where did you get those numbers?
    http://www.tigerrag.com/extra-kramer...ns-obssession/

vCash
    When Cann brings his recruits in I think we A) get more players here then we had before, B) get the most out of those players for three years instead of one year, and C) can talk some of the tweener juniors into coming back for their senior season if it means winning a championship. I think Cann can and will do that here. This will make us more consistent and will get us to Omaha more and in fact win a championship. I think Cohen failed at those basic things and why he stated that Cann is his upgrade because he will do those things.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    I'm a little confused. Are you arguing that we have a better chance of getting the guys with MLB futures, who were highly thought of coming out of HS, to stay for their senior years? I would argue that is incredibly unlikely.

Guys not drafted in the top 10-12 rounds, especially out of college, have a very low chance of making the majors, so they are pretty much always right to take the money if they get an offer close to what Kruger got last year. Once you drop into the $100,000 or less range, you start to have a tougher decision.
    Lol should be used to that

vCash

Next question?
    Wow... let's see what they parlayed that into come June. That was probably an incredibly dumb financial decision

vCash
    Wow... let's see what they parlayed that into come June. That was probably an incredibly dumb financial decision
    It's signing bonus money and if they hit in the top 10 rounds this June they won't be that worse off but will have a better trajectory to the league.