Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Gridley 1st team All-SEC SS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    It's signing bonus money and if they hit in the top 10 rounds this June they won't be that worse off but will have a better trajectory to the league.
    Wasn't graveman 8th round and got 5k?

Banned
    vCash
    Freeman turned down $300k
    Robertson turned down $250k

Next question?
    Neither of those is $400k. Shitload of difference between $400k and $300k. What is your point?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    Neither of those is $400k. Shitload of difference between $400k and $300k. What is your point?
    Lul.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    Still taxes hits it and it becomes $150k vs $200k....I'd say there isn't that much of a difference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    Lol should be used to that
    It's funny, you have this idea that I post for no other reason than to troll, then you post stuff like this.

You seem cool.

vCash
    Thanks for the link, that is pretty shocking, to be honest.

But even in that article, it doesn't seem like Cannizaro factored into the decision much. I'm not saying he didn't, but I just don't buy into a coach being able to talk guys into coming back that would otherwise leave.

You may find certain guys who really want to stay in school over the money, but I don't think you're going to 'convert' guys just through the power of persuasion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Wasn't graveman 8th round and got 5k?
    Don't know if it was that low. But it was paltry compared to what a junior would have gotten in that spot, or what he actually deserved.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

But even in that article, it doesn't seem like Cannizaro factored into the decision much. I'm not saying he didn't, but I just don't buy into a coach being able to talk guys into coming back that would otherwise leave.

You may find certain guys who really want to stay in school over the money, but I don't think you're going to 'convert' guys just through the power of persuasion.
    That is insane to get players to turn down that kind of money. Now with the ability to finish your degree online or distance learning, it makes coming back to school even harder unless you are getting an engineering degree or something like Graveman.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWonItAll(Most) View Post
    Don't know if it was that low. But it was paltry compared to what a junior would have gotten in that spot, or what he actually deserved.
    That's what he got. Most seniors get basically that, no matter where they're drafted. It's what Robertson and Freeman will get.

You just have no other options to fall back on, and teams know that. So it's either sign for this tiny sum, or good luck catching on with an independent team somewhere.

vCash
    That's what he got. Most seniors get basically that, no matter where they're drafted. It's what Robertson and Freeman will get.

You just have no other options to fall back on, and teams know that. So it's either sign for this tiny sum, or good luck catching on with an independent team somewhere.
    Dang, I knew it was low, I was thinking $50k though. That's brutal

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWonItAll(Most) View Post
    Dang, I knew it was low, I was thinking $50k though. That's brutal
    Yep, 5k

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/oakland-a...cash-earnings/

Freeman and Robertson dumb

vCash
    I don't think it's dumb if you come back have a year more of competing in the SEC under your belt and it puts you in a better position in the draft to make the league. The money is what it is a signing bonus. If Kruger comes back and say is drafted in the first three rounds this year and got a fraction of what he had in the 20th round the year before but he is in a better position to make the league it was a better decision overall even though he missed out on a little more money in the short term. Graveman got $5k but where he was drafted had a better trajectory to make the majors and now makes $500k a year. It's all perspective and really depends on your individual situation. Drafted in the 20th-40th rounds does not lend itself to a very good track to make the majors anytime soon.

vCash
    I don't think it's dumb if you come back have a year more of competing in the SEC under your belt and it puts you in a better position in the draft to make the league. The money is what it is a signing bonus. If Kruger comes back and say is drafted in the first three rounds this year and got a fraction of what he had in the 20th round the year before but he is in a better position to make the league it was a better decision overall even though he missed out on a little more money in the short term. Graveman got $5k but where he was drafted had a better trajectory to make the majors and now makes $500k a year. It's all perspective and really depends on your individual situation. Drafted in the 20th-40th rounds does not lend itself to a very good track to make the majors anytime soon.
    We just disagree on this. The odds of any player making the show are poor. I think if a team is willing to pay you 6 figures as a college junior, you should take it if you wanna try to play MLB bc you get peanuts as a senior

vCash

It's been stated multiple times on the LSU message boards that a lot of them came back to have another year with Cann. It was a huge shock when Cann left them to come here. Robertson has credited Cann with his hitting development and even when LSU was here last weekend talked with Cann about his swing and what tips Cann had to improve it.

Banned
    vCash
    Still taxes hits it and it becomes $150k vs $200k....I'd say there isn't that much of a difference.
    That 50k difference is still about 2.5 years worth of after-tax take home pay on a minor league baseball salary. That is substantial no matter how you look at it, and could easily be the difference in staying or going for any given player, depending on his personal situation.
    Last edited by HSVDawg; 05-23-2017 at 12:18 PM.

vCash
    We just disagree on this. The odds of any player making the show are poor. I think if a team is willing to pay you 6 figures as a college junior, you should take it if you wanna try to play MLB bc you get peanuts as a senior
    I just think Cohen's approach was piss poor in A) getting more of his recruits here, B) developing players so we get three years instead of just the one year, and C) talking some of the tweener players into coming back for their senior years. Our fans adopted this philosophy that you can't do those things well at poor ol MSU since Cohen did so shittily at it. It's precisely why we could never become extremely consistent and why we would have great years followed by poor years. I personally think this is where Cann will excel and will get us that consistency that we have been wanting for a long time.

vCash
    I just think Cohen's approach was piss poor in A) getting more of his recruits here, B) developing players so we get three years instead of just the one year, and C) talking some of the tweener players into coming back for their senior years. Our fans adopted this philosophy that you can't do those things well at poor ol MSU since Cohen did so shittily at it. It's precisely why we could never become extremely consistent and why we would have great years followed by poor years. I personally think this is where Cann will excel and will get us that consistency that we have been wanting for a long time.
    It's not just at State that those things don't happen. They don't happen with regularity anywhere.

Cann may excel in those, but if he does, it means he's the outlier, not Cohen. And if so, we're going to dominate college baseball.

vCash
    It's not just at State that those things don't happen. They don't happen with regularity anywhere.

Cann may excel in those, but if he does, it means he's the outlier, not Cohen. And if so, we're going to dominate college baseball.
    Which is where we should be. Dominating college baseball.

vCash
    Which is where we should be. Dominating college baseball.
    I'm all for it. Just hope we're not setting expectations too high.

vCash
    How much of a bonus do you think Graveman would have gotten as a 36th round draft pick? Probably no more and likely less than 5K.