Thread: I know it is early in recruiting but not as early as it use to be.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash

I know it is early in recruiting but not as early as it use to be.

I don't follow recruiting too much but I do go to the recruiting service a bunch during the year to see where we sit and usually the SEC is better represented during this period. The SEC only has one in the top 5 and two in the top 20. GA is in the 60's and Bama is in the 40's. KY is 21 with A$M, Auburn and state following in the top 30. Usually at this time of the year A&M and Bama are top 5 and Fl in the top 10. Is there something going on?

Is this the first year of early signing period or does that start next year? If it is this year now is not to early. They better get moving.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    By signing day the usual suspects will be in their normal places.

vCash
    Bama and UGA will be fine. Auburn and A&M will get their share. But I do think there is a bit of a shift happening. The SEC will continue to get the most talent overall, but we are starting to see some other programs make a dent in its complete domination of recruiting.

Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, USC, FSU...these are mostly traditional powers but they haven't all been up at the same time recently, so you'll see them grab a bunch of talent. And the SEC's coaching hires just haven't been good recently. After Bama, the next 5 biggest traditional powers in the conference currently have the following at HC: Kirby Smart, Gus Malzahn, Butch Jones, Jim McElwain, and Ed Orgeron. I mean, that is not good. So I do think we'll start to see a drop off in the sheer amount of talent the SEC has been bringing in.

vCash
    Also remember this year will be a relatively small class 17-20 signees.... I expect it to be one of the better ones as far as quality...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Also remember this year will be a relatively small class 17-20 signees.... I expect it to be one of the better ones as far as quality...
    Yep, we're the kings of never signing a full class yet never having enough roster spots for a full class the following years. It's pretty incredible the way we always under sign yet are always tight on spots available. Ha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Yep, we're the kings of never signing a full class yet never having enough roster spots for a full class the following years. It's pretty incredible the way we always under sign yet are always tight on spots available. Ha
    And Saban always seems to sign a full class, he just puts them on medical if they don't work out so he doesn't take the hit for cutting them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    We are a developmental program that year in and year out redshirts most of its signing class. When you have alot of 5 year guys on an 85 man roster- that keeps classes smaller

vCash
    I think Orgeron has LSU #2 right now. That's the SECW's new threat. Freeze is poor man's Coach O*.

*2017 data