Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can this please be the year we start a new kickoff chant?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    FWIW, LSU fans always rush the T-I-G-E-R-S Tigers! chant. But they all rush at the same rate.

Here's a couple ways they could try to fix it.

1. Make a video that flashes each word/phrase on the jumbotron. The band always plays at the same tempo, so it wouldn't be that hard to coordinate.
    2. Have an annoying cheerleader do the chant on a microphone the first time through, and let the crowd try on their own the 2nd time through.
    3. Have a special guest for each game lead the chant. PA guy can introduce him during the beginning of the Hey Song.
    Oh, no doubt... It is a very simple fix, they just don't do it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Christmas View Post
    I love what our Athletic Department did in 2014 by starting the first down "Hail State" chant. I think it's time they do something similar for the kickoff chant. My reasons:

- The current "maroon white fight fight etc." chant is waaaay too long and generally only the students do it.

- The current chant sounds like a radio ad disclaimer that squeezes the greatest amount of words into the smallest possible amount of time

- The kickoff chant has turned our students beat deaf and ruined the "we're gonna beat the hell outta you" chant. Half the stadium chants to the song at the normal pace, while the student section tries to reel it off as fast as humanly possible. It sounds weird as shit. I used to love when we played the "hey" song...now it's kinda annoying.

- If we change the kickoff chant to a two word phrase then everyone will participate (not just students), it will be way louder, and the "hey song" will eventually return to the normal version that follows the beat of the song.

My suggestion would be to emulate the first down chant and do a "HAAAAAAAIL STATE!" kickoff cheer. The media department could do a pregame infomercial to introduce it (just like they did with the first down chant)

Am I the only one that feels this way? Do any of you connected folks know if there are any AD plans to do something similar to what I suggested? What are your thoughts/suggestions?
    I'd be fine with a new chant, but I hate the first down chant... really, any first down chant. They're just weak.

Chants are important though. We have our embarrassing ass 'beat the hell out of you chant', and the lame first down chant. We don't need any more of that.

The only real good chant we have is the Fight Song. The drum chant thing they added last year was decent, but I wish we'd add in a 'battle cry' style chant to go along with it.