Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can this please be the year we start a new kickoff chant?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash

Can this please be the year we start a new kickoff chant?

I love what our Athletic Department did in 2014 by starting the first down "Hail State" chant. I think it's time they do something similar for the kickoff chant. My reasons:

- The current "maroon white fight fight etc." chant is waaaay too long and generally only the students do it.

- The current chant sounds like a radio ad disclaimer that squeezes the greatest amount of words into the smallest possible amount of time

- The kickoff chant has turned our students beat deaf and ruined the "we're gonna beat the hell outta you" chant. Half the stadium chants to the song at the normal pace, while the student section tries to reel it off as fast as humanly possible. It sounds weird as shit. I used to love when we played the "hey" song...now it's kinda annoying.

- If we change the kickoff chant to a two word phrase then everyone will participate (not just students), it will be way louder, and the "hey song" will eventually return to the normal version that follows the beat of the song.

My suggestion would be to emulate the first down chant and do a "HAAAAAAAIL STATE!" kickoff cheer. The media department could do a pregame infomercial to introduce it (just like they did with the first down chant)

Am I the only one that feels this way? Do any of you connected folks know if there are any AD plans to do something similar to what I suggested? What are your thoughts/suggestions?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Christmas View Post
    Am I the only one that feels this way?
    Yes

vCash
    No!

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    he kickoff chant has turned our students beat deaf and ruined the "we're gonna beat the hell outta you" chant. Half the stadium chants to the song at the normal pace, while the student section tries to reel it off as fast as humanly possible. It sounds weird as shit. I used to love when we played the "hey" song...now it's kinda annoying.
    This has alot to do with the acoustics inside the stadium. It is not as off as you think it is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    This has alot to do with the acoustics inside the stadium. It is not as off as you think it is.
    Negative, it sounded just as bad at the 2014 Orange Bowl when I was in attendance.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Negative, it sounded just as bad at the 2014 Orange Bowl when I was in attendance.
    Being there doesnt prove that it is off. That actually helps my point. I did'nt say it was not off at all but the acoustics inside the stadium do make a difference in how you hear it from where you sit.

vCash
    Being there doesnt prove that it is off. That actually helps my point. I did'nt say it was not off at all but the acoustics inside the stadium do make a difference in how you hear it from where you sit.
    What about visibly seeing them chant and finish 4.5 seconds ahead of the song and the rest of the stadium. It's stupid as 17. They should do it right.

vCash
    To further refute this, I sat next to a friend of mine last year who had just graduated. He reeled off the "we're gonna beat the hell outta you" chant about 4 times faster than me..after the song ended I asked him if he was on crack and that's why he was going so fast. His response: "Well that's how we do the kickoff chant"

vCash
    To further refute this, I sat next to a friend of mine last year who had just graduated. He reeled off the "we're gonna beat the hell outta you" chant about 4 times faster than me..after the song ended I asked him if he was on crack and that's why he was going so fast. His response: "Well that's how we do the kickoff chant"
    It's 17'n stupid that they do that and most people have stopped doing it because the students wrecked it.

vCash
    False. It is off just as much as I think it is. You don't even have to use your ears. Just keep rhythm with how people move their cowbells. There's a reason everyone starts at the same time, but one group finishes much faster. The students are going at least 25% faster. The only thing that keeps it in check is that the song has to be led by the band for each of the different cues.

vCash
    It's still pretty bad. I was in the band and during pregame, playing the hey song, it was quite evident. We even joked about it at rehearsal when learning the drill for the pregame show.

vCash
    It's off. Way off. The students never followed the rhythm of the "hey" song. its a speed chant instead of being in tune with the song. Sounds like garbage and either needs to be fixed or dropped. The worst chant we have is kickoff!?!?!?! That's an awful way to start the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    It's off. Way off. The students never followed the rhythm of the "hey" song. its a speed chant instead of being in tune with the song. Sounds like garbage and either needs to be fixed or dropped. The worst chant we have is kickoff!?!?!?! That's an awful way to start the game.
    Thank you..it's so obvious.

vCash
    The student are not the only ones chanting it. Go to you tube and watch the pregame show.

vCash
    FWIW, LSU fans always rush the T-I-G-E-R-S Tigers! chant. But they all rush at the same rate.

Here's a couple ways they could try to fix it.

1. Make a video that flashes each word/phrase on the jumbotron. The band always plays at the same tempo, so it wouldn't be that hard to coordinate.
    2. Have an annoying cheerleader do the chant on a microphone the first time through, and let the crowd try on their own the 2nd time through.
    3. Have a special guest for each game lead the chant. PA guy can introduce him during the beginning of the Hey Song.

vCash
    Cheerleader?? We have cheerleaders?!?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    FWIW, LSU fans always rush the T-I-G-E-R-S Tigers! chant. But they all rush at the same rate.

1. Make a video that flashes each word/phrase on the jumbotron. The band always plays at the same tempo, so it wouldn't be that hard to coordinate.
    2. Have an annoying cheerleader do the chant on a microphone the first time through, and let the crowd try on their own the 2nd time through.
    3. Have a special guest for each game lead the chant. PA guy can introduce him during the beginning of the Hey Song.
    I don't think they have to do that. I mean, if you watch the flag-girls, they're waving their flags to the beat. It baffles me how far off the damned students get, and how they haven't picked up on that yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post

Oh, no doubt... It is a very simple fix, they just don't do it.

vCash
    I have disliked the kickoff routine since the night it was intro'd at Cowbell Yell.

vCash
    Gosh, I hope our uniforms are pretty too.