Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
Sims needs to be up soon. He's been solid this year. I figure we won't do anything with Colon until the deadline, but I would think a team may need to dump some bad longer term contracts and get something more short term and favorable in Colon's contract. Maybe we can get a better bench bat out of something like that.

Those two acquisitions pissed me off. Him and Dickey had virtually no chance to do us any good. I thought this team could hit well enough to compete for a wild card and that a couple halfway decent starters would get us there. But Colon and Dickey suck and us relying on them is ridiculous.
It was a smart hedge. The talent lined up better for 2018 than this year. Colon, Dickey, and Garcia were cheap options that gave us good flexibility for this year. They do better than expected and we are in the playoff hunt, or can be flipped for talent. They do worse than expected, then we bail on them, give some younger guys some time in low leverage situations, and get another top draft pick. Pretty clearly going to be the 2nd one, which ain't so bad.