Thread: OT PSA: Check for ticks after going outside

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash

OT PSA: Check for ticks after going outside

Had to take my dog into the vet Saturday morning because he has not been eating like his normal self the past few weeks. He had completely quit eating a day or two before being taken in. The vet thought he just had a bad GI infection. Got a call this morning to tell me they believe it is Lyme disease or another tick born illness.

vCash
    If that's not bad enough, there is an epidemic of a tic-carried illness in the southeast which makes people allergic to red meat 🍖. Damn.

vCash
    No lie, my brother-in-law pulled a tick off the tip of his wiener yesterday. He says it's red, a bit swollen, and itchy.

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PassInterference View Post
    If that's not bad enough, there is an epidemic of a tic-carried illness in the southeast which makes people allergic to red meat ��. Damn.

The Lone Star Tick, if you find this guy, get it off immediately.

vCash
    If that's not bad enough, there is an epidemic of a tic-carried illness in the southeast which makes people allergic to red meat ��. Damn.
    I have this allergy and it can be miserable. It's Alpha Gal. I have been able to control mine by taking an Allegra every morning. Some people have it worse than others. I know a lady that can't even walk around a grill if someone is cooking beef. It's some scary stuff. it usually hits about 4 to 5 ours after you have ingested red meat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    No lie, my brother-in-law pulled a tick off the tip of his wiener yesterday. He says it's red, a bit swollen, and itchy.
    Hahahaha. Tell him to stay out of strip clubs

vCash
    I heard that the ticks would be bad this year because the winter wasn't cold enough. My mother in law said her great nephew that she babysits is getting ticks every week at school.

vCash
    That's not ticks, that's crabs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    I heard that the ticks would be bad this year because the winter wasn't cold enough. My mother in law said her great nephew that she babysits is getting ticks every week at school.
    Ticks actually aren't affected by how cold or warm the winter is. The northeast and parts of Canada actually have worse tick problems than we do down here. Some parts of the state should actually have less ticks this year than most years due to the drought part of the state experienced this past fall. Moisture or lack there of affects ticks a lot more. We have more ticks now than 30-40 years ago due to the # of deer increasing.

vCash
    what a weird way to describe a tick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by louisvilledawg View Post
    what a weird way to describe a tick
    Wonder how he knows the tick was itching ....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerdawg View Post
    I have this allergy and it can be miserable. It's Alpha Gal. I have been able to control mine by taking an Allegra every morning. Some people have it worse than others. I know a lady that can't even walk around a grill if someone is cooking beef. It's some scary stuff. it usually hits about 4 to 5 ours after you have ingested red meat.
    Ian it permanent or does a newly acquired allergy like this wear off?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Ticks actually aren't affected by how cold or warm the winter is. The northeast and parts of Canada actually have worse tick problems than we do down here. Some parts of the state should actually have less ticks this year than most years due to the drought part of the state experienced this past fall. Moisture or lack there of affects ticks a lot more. We have more ticks now than 30-40 years ago due to the # of deer increasing.
    I'm doing my part!
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Got bit by this tick and and developed an allergy to beef!! Fortunately for me, my body overcome it and I am back to eating beef again

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Some say it is permanent and for some it is. For me it wore off after about 2 1/2 months. I broke out and hives and stomach cramped like CRAZY just from Waffle House cooking my eggs where they just cooked a steak. If I just touched the grease off of beef my fingers would start turning red and itching. It was hard for me to accept that I could never have beef again so I decided that I would wait a couple months and give it another try. When that time came I decided to try a small piece of beef again as a test and THANK GOD nothing happened. So I ate a little more, still nothing. I am back to eating beef like I normally do now and I thank God for it.

vCash
    They say ticks are attracted to dicks due to softness and blood flow. So when it comes to ticks liking dicks sure sucks to be a Ole Miss Fan.

vCash
    My brother -in-law, who just had a liver transplant (at UCLA) a year ago got a couple tick bites and wound up in UMMC in Jackson for a week with 104 fever and flu like symptoms. They were freaking out because they couldn't figure out whether it was the tick bites or rejection or what. He was on every kind of high powered antibiotics and every test they could think of last week, just to deduce that he was suffering from the tick bites, and had a severe reaction to them. And this guy is a well respected surgeon too.
    cautiously optimistic

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    They say ticks are attracted to dicks due to softness and blood flow. So when it comes to ticks liking dicks sure sucks to be a Ole Miss Fan.
    Haha +1

vCash
    Deer numbers are not increasing and haven't been for awhile in MS, overall. Pigs? Yes.

vCash
    Currently there is no cure. A simple blood test tells if you carry the antibody. It can go away but doctors have no way of knowing. They basically will tell you not to eat red meat. I still do but I'm careful and I've not had a reaction in 2 years. I keep epi pens and take my allegra.