Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OM thoughts/questions?

vCash

OM thoughts/questions?

Didn't want to derail the coaching thread on OM and this may have already been discussed. How close do you think OM was to getting away with everything? I know for the last couple of years "rumors" that turned out to be completely true have been posted here on their cheating scandal. Were they ever going to get away with it clean? Did the Tunsil issue with the fight and loaner car just bring everything to light publicly as that seemed to be the start of the snowball?

Also, how long do you think they will stay away from cheating at the level they were once the sentence has been passed down? I don't know if some of the boosters can stay out of the game that long... kind of like a drug dealer that has been popped numerous times and keeps getting back in the game only to get hit again. Or do you think the new administration will put an end to it for at least a few years?

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Didn't want to derail the coaching thread on OM and this may have already been discussed. How close do you think OM was to getting away with everything? I know for the last couple of years "rumors" that turned out to be completely true have been posted here on their cheating scandal. Were they ever going to get away with it clean? Did the Tunsil issue with the fight and loaner car just bring everything to light publicly as that seemed to be the start of the snowball?

Also, how long do you think they will stay away from cheating at the level they were once the sentence has been passed down? I don't know if some of the boosters can stay out of the game that long... kind of like a drug dealer that has been popped numerous times and keeps getting back in the game only to get hit again. Or do you think the new administration will put an end to it for at least a few years?
    I think the level of breaking the rules at OM has gotten completely out of hand. I'll go to my grave believing HF was hired for the purpose they have found themselves in now, to do whatever it takes in recruiting. At some point the IHL has got to grow some stones and give them an ultimatum to the leaders up there. I know with the amount of OM supporters in the legislature this will never happen, but it damn sure needs to.

vCash
    They were not going to get away with it following the 2013 signing class in my opinion. They reached out too far and stepped on too many toes. Everyone knew it wasn't the grove bringing in the highest rated recruits across the nation. And I'm sure it didn't take much digging for the NCAA to get the goods on them.

They will never quit cheating. At that level I estimate it will be reigned in geographically for a while. And in total numbers of recruits they sign by those methods.
    You're blind if you can't see improvement.....Freshmens......Strain.....Kick rocks and pound sand......Drag my Yankee ass outta here!......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    Pretty simple to scroll past a post...

vCash
    The investigation was never over. That was a Bjork lie. The Tunsil fiasco just made things more public

vCash
    Pretty simple to scroll past a post...
    +1,

Personally, I'd like to have posts like this on a daily basis, just to keep the issue in the forefront. Seems like it flares up every few weeks, only to die down again. I think this needs to stay in the limelight.

vCash

Tunsil's stepdad made it what it is today. Draft night aggravated it.

I think it was gonna be 18-20 over 3 years until that with show cause for some assistants and no bowl ban.

Tunsils stepdad testimony opened Pandora's box. But make no mistake, the act stuff was going to make way more than 9 over 3

Eta: the ULL investigation and subsequent act fraud was the tipping point to the "getting away with everything" moment.
    Last edited by gravedigger; 05-09-2017 at 10:56 AM.

vCash

Didnt the man they hire as AD have violations at every stop he was at before Ole Miss? Don't think the cheating will ever stop.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by louisvilledawg View Post
    Didnt the man they hire as AD have violations at every stop he was at before Ole Miss? Don't think the cheating will ever stop.
    He may have but he wasn't on the NCAA radar like Sherrill, Tark, etc. He is now though. Freeze is even worse. Bet Orgeron gets some heat in the coming year too.

vCash
    A Hugh Freeze show cause won't stop the cheating.
    LOIC won't stop the cheating.
    The DP won't stop the cheating.
    Getting kicked out of the SEC won't stop the cheating.
    Only getting dropped to D2 and OM becoming a "basketball school" can stop their cheating.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

Banned
    vCash
    I don't think it will be as crippling as we all want. I think the NCAA will likely accept the one year ban, but the schollies lost will be more substantial and do more damage. It'll take them a few years, maybe five or more, to get back to a bowl, but they won't be hurt for decades or anything.

Banned
    vCash
    Bowl bans don't mean crap. It's the most overplayed part of all of this. Even if they get a two year ban, bet few players leave.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post

I think it was gonna be 18-20 over 3 years until that with show cause for some assistants and no bowl ban.

Tunsils stepdad testimony opened Pandora's box. But make no mistake, the act stuff was going to make way more than 9 over 3

Eta: the ULL investigation and subsequent act fraud was the tipping point to the "getting away with everything" moment.
    Speaking of which: What ever happened in the Miller lawsuit? Is it still active? I haven't heard anything about it in a while.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollodawg View Post
    I don't think it will be as crippling as we all want. I think the NCAA will likely accept the one year ban, but the schollies lost will be more substantial and do more damage. It'll take them a few years, maybe five or more, to get back to a bowl, but they won't be hurt for decades or anything.
    A 3 or 4 year bowl ban is more likely than a 1 year bowl ban. You need to go through their violations again if you believe that. You are right about the scholarships being added to but they will have at least another year of a bowl game added. It's why they are going to prolong this as long as possible. They have to get into the season so their players won't transfer.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    And the reason a multi year bowl ban hurts so bad is because 1.) players can transfer with no penalty and 2.) when you recruit players to sec programs you are telling them (whether true or not) that they are going to come in and help you win the sec and national titles. When you are recruiting against a multi year bowl ban you can't use that in your recruiting by pitch which hurts you a lot with players that actually could help you compete in the conference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post

ULL wasn't the tipping point. They just got caught up in the UNM investigation. It was the investigation at UNM that found the direct link to Saunders. UNM lawyers were present at the very first interview at ULL with the NCAA enforcement staff. It was during that initial interview that ULL found out that they had an issue but it was a month or two later before they received a notification that they would be under investigation at that point.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    A 3 or 4 year bowl ban is more likely than a 1 year bowl ban. You need to go through their violations again if you believe that. You are right about the scholarships being added to but they will have at least another year of a bowl game added. It's why they are going to prolong this as long as possible. They have to get into the season so their players won't transfer.
    I get that. But how real is the chance of them transferring really? Did many transfers under Brewer?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollodawg View Post
    If it sets them back only 3-5 years with all the stuff they've done, I hope we open up the pocketbooks and buy us some blue chip cruits.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by louisvilledawg View Post
    If it sets them back only 3-5 years with all the stuff they've done, I hope we open up the pocketbooks and buy us some blue chip cruits.
    What? OM hasn't even had a 10 win season by "opening the pocketbook". They are going on severe probation and never lost less than 3 regular season games