Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
What are yall throwing artificial wise? I fished this past weekend in Alabama-Orange beach area in the back bay. I know it is different from MS/LA. Really didn't have a ton of luck except at night around the lights on docks throwing basically a fluke on what I think was a 1/8 oz jig head. Caught a good many specs most right around slot or a little under. No reds. Still new to salt water and trying to learn on the fly. I don't mind using live bait but prefer fishing artificial. Was just curious on some of the stuff yall use. Also once the water warms up what does that usually do to the fish? Also still learning about fishing the tides etc. So any advice would be appreciated.
I'll add a couple more, but I agree with speck on the shrimp creole matrix shad. It words great in our murky waters.
My go-to is Gulp Alive white curly tail mullet. It's a trout destroyer. Backup is the chartreuse curly tail mullet and it's the one I do best with for trout. Gulp Alive new penny shrimp under a cork is a good one too. Bone white spook for top water or black with chartreuse head (aka the Rodman). Suspended baits I like the electric chicken 17mr. I was going out of a kayak a few weeks ago and when we got to the harbor to get shrimp at 5am the seas were much larger than predicted. Anyway, we fished off this new pier in Pass Christian. My friend was dragging live shrimp on the bottom and I was using a white gulp mullet and catching more than him. I've always had success with it when it seems like nothing else is working.
ETA: matrix shad with a spinner blade works good for reds, as well as a spoon with a shad as a trailer