Thread: Well, went fishing yesterday

vCash

Well, went fishing yesterday

Yesterday was one of those days. Leaving out we see the transducer is not working. Stopped and messed with it and nothing. Oh well, we'll fish without it. Ran straight to Little Bayou Pierre and the old camp to check the water. Was pretty dirty and fished for about 10 mins only picking up 1 trout. Went inside and a lot of our redfish ponds were too shallow at low tide so the plan was to fish for trout. Hit a few areas and was seeing nothing. The next plan was to troll this Bayou for reds I've run and fished before on higher tides and it was 2 ft at the lowest so I figure worst case scenario we're talking 12-14 inches and I can push pole us out of that. I'd had fished the Bayou from 2 different directions until this bend. Well, turns out this bend, a 100 yard stretch, is the shallowest portion. Got totally stuck. Couldn't blast out with big motor. Couldn't push pole. Tried to get out and push and sunk to over waist deep in mud. We were in 8 inches of water and had to wait out the tide. 3 hours later we got just enough water to blast of that mud flat and we were right back in 2.5 feet of water. Put the hammer down and got the hell out. By this time it's 11am so we ran over to flat boat and IaP and got no bites. No fish. For fun we stopped and fished a few docks in BSL and we caught 4 drum, got broke off by a sheepshead, and had 2 more hookups and breakoffs. Threw everything back and went in happy to not have spent the night in the marsh and caught a few fish. Wasn't the most productive trip but I learned something for next time.

vCash
    Ouch. Well, still beats sitting at home and at least y'all got to stretch the lines some. I fished some lights last night. The tide was so low that at one of my "redfish honey holes", the submerged light wasn't submerged. Ended up picking up 5 keeper specks and tossed back a couple dozen. I actually left the ramp and made it all the way to the first spot before realizing I left my rods in the truck and had to go all the way back. Also, proceeded to dent my fender on the dock at the ramp. Some ouches all the way around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    Ouch. Well, still beats sitting at home and at least y'all got to stretch the lines some. I fished some lights last night. The tide was so low that at one of my "redfish honey holes", the submerged light wasn't submerged. Ended up picking up 5 keeper specks and tossed back a couple dozen. I actually left the ramp and made it all the way to the first spot before realizing I left my rods in the truck and had to go all the way back. Also, proceeded to dent my fender on the dock at the ramp. Some ouches all the way around.
    Ya that water was low. In hindsight, should have never went back were I went if I wasn't 1000% sure. At least now I know exactly how that bayou is all the way down...

Leaving your rods in the truck, I can so relate to that. When we switched to remote control trolling motor, I left that damn thing in my truck numerous times and had to go back to get it. Guys that only do charters just don't get the glitches we encounter in our pursuit. Makes the good days that much more rewarding.

vCash
    What are yall throwing artificial wise? I fished this past weekend in Alabama-Orange beach area in the back bay. I know it is different from MS/LA. Really didn't have a ton of luck except at night around the lights on docks throwing basically a fluke on what I think was a 1/8 oz jig head. Caught a good many specs most right around slot or a little under. No reds. Still new to salt water and trying to learn on the fly. I don't mind using live bait but prefer fishing artificial. Was just curious on some of the stuff yall use. Also once the water warms up what does that usually do to the fish? Also still learning about fishing the tides etc. So any advice would be appreciated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    What are yall throwing artificial wise?
    Lately, I've been catching most every fish on a shrimp creole matrix shad (clear with black/red glitter). The spots I have been fishing at night, they were feeding on glass minnows and that was the closest color I could find in my box. The other day, as soon as I got to my spot, I saw shrimp popping out of the water. Went to the same color and it was on. Only problem has been all the <15" trout. They're fun to catch, but no takey.

This time of year, I usually like to throw something that resembles a small croaker. Live croakers in May/June has always done really well for me, while they are spawning. I also prefer to fish artificial most times, so I like a mirrodine or the green hornet colored matrix (or any brand of your choice).

QUOTE=BB30;744535]Also once the water warms up what does that usually do to the fish?[/QUOTE]
    Around here, they start moving out front in the spring. That said, there are plenty of places in the bays/bayous that will hold trout year round. Once the water gets real hot, get out there real early and expect it to slow down as the sun gets up. Live bait is definitely helpful in the dead of summer.

That said, speckled trout are crazy sometimes. My biggest to date was caught mid morning, mid july, when it was hot as all get out and about 20 yards off the beach in some pretty shallow/dirty water.

vCash
    Speck has some good advice there.

Some things I'll add:

-When it comes to tide, fish when it's moving. Doesn't matter if it's rising or falling as long as it's moving. Imo saltwater fish feed at dawn, dusk, and when water is moving. If it's middle of the day with no tide, sharks and catfish about the only things you'll catch.

-The two artificial ice caught the most trout on are glow/pink vudu or firecracker sparkle beetle (which is the same color as shrimp creole matrix). I also love green hornet matrix or avocado/red tail h&h. Something about that red tail. When I fish with other people I usually try to make sure we're all throwing different colors and see what works.

-Popping corks and jigs are almost all I throw artificial wise. I'm not what you'd call a lure fisherman.

-Fish anything that gets your attention. Points, cuts, and drains are all worth check in the marsh. Just like in the bass world, docks and pilings hold fish. And besides structure, both natural and man-made, WATCH THE WATER. If you see birds feeding on something, fish it. You see a shrimp skipping on the top of the water, fish it. You see a blow up and bait scatter, fish it. If you see an oil slick on the water, fish it. If you see a tide line, fish it.

I'm using 20-20 vision here but looking back I can see why our trip last Sunday wasn't as successful as we hoped outside of getting stuck. As we were idling out of Edwards Bayou from the launch, I saw shrimp skipping getting spooked by the motor. When we got out to the marsh after a long run, saw very little bait activity. A few mullet flipping here and there. For the most part, MS & LA fish aren't mullet followers. They follow shrimp. We caught more fish in 30 minutes flipping docks in BSL than we did outside in the marsh. Looking back it makes sense. We caught fish in the area we saw shrimp. Find the bait and you'll find the fish.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    What are yall throwing artificial wise? I fished this past weekend in Alabama-Orange beach area in the back bay. I know it is different from MS/LA. Really didn't have a ton of luck except at night around the lights on docks throwing basically a fluke on what I think was a 1/8 oz jig head. Caught a good many specs most right around slot or a little under. No reds. Still new to salt water and trying to learn on the fly. I don't mind using live bait but prefer fishing artificial. Was just curious on some of the stuff yall use. Also once the water warms up what does that usually do to the fish? Also still learning about fishing the tides etc. So any advice would be appreciated.
    I'll add a couple more, but I agree with speck on the shrimp creole matrix shad. It words great in our murky waters.
    My go-to is Gulp Alive white curly tail mullet. It's a trout destroyer. Backup is the chartreuse curly tail mullet and it's the one I do best with for trout. Gulp Alive new penny shrimp under a cork is a good one too. Bone white spook for top water or black with chartreuse head (aka the Rodman). Suspended baits I like the electric chicken 17mr. I was going out of a kayak a few weeks ago and when we got to the harbor to get shrimp at 5am the seas were much larger than predicted. Anyway, we fished off this new pier in Pass Christian. My friend was dragging live shrimp on the bottom and I was using a white gulp mullet and catching more than him. I've always had success with it when it seems like nothing else is working.
    ETA: matrix shad with a spinner blade works good for reds, as well as a spoon with a shad as a trailer

vCash
    So, I have a question for the guys that fish MS. The last few years I've been fishing with a buddy of mine in LA around Lake Catherine and we've done well but I would like to do some on my own. I'm not going to jump off into a bay boat anytime soon but I've noticed several guys that use kayaks and am thinking of going that route. Where is a good place (area) to fish with something like that, and what time of year is best? I grew up and live in central MS but my mom's family is from BSL and I literally have family scattered from BSL all the way to the MS/AL state line so I can pretty much access anywhere...only problem is none of them are serious about fishing so they aren't much help.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randolph Dupree View Post
    So, I have a question for the guys that fish MS. The last few years I've been fishing with a buddy of mine in LA around Lake Catherine and we've done well but I would like to do some on my own. I'm not going to jump off into a bay boat anytime soon but I've noticed several guys that use kayaks and am thinking of going that route. Where is a good place (area) to fish with something like that, and what time of year is best? I grew up and live in central MS but my mom's family is from BSL and I literally have family scattered from BSL all the way to the MS/AL state line so I can pretty much access anywhere...only problem is none of them are serious about fishing so they aren't much help.
    On this board, I know myself and Speck are kayak advocates and I think Uncle Ruckus is in to it too. As far as areas to fish, it's almost endless. This really deserves its own thread.