Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open letter to the baseball team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    We've actually done that three times in school history. 1948-49, 1965- 1966, and 1970-1971. ESPN/SEC Network for some reason has been putting out that we've never done it and they're wrong. I even tweeted Ben McDonald about it and he told me that was what was in the notes ESPN gave them. I don't know how they screwed this one up since literally half of our SEC Titles were back to back.

The only things that we could do that we've never done before in school history is win 20 SEC games in back to back seasons and be a National Seed in back to back seasons. At this point we have a chance to do those things still. We'll see if those things happen.
    Correct. I should've been more specific in my original post. If we get the SEC'ship, that guarantees both a natty seed and b2b 20+ win seasons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    For you history buffs. My 1st memories of The Dude goes back to us winning our regional and I think it was against WA. I remember one of our players climbing up the left field foul post celebrating. Was that Jody Hurst? I also remember beating MI to go to Omaha. They had Barry Larkin and we was bad ass throughout the tournament. Think they had Sabo on that team too. Anybody remember what years those were?
    The Regional at Starkville against a very good Washington team was one of the most exciting regional's ever, not the most but awesome. Washington had a very good team, it was extremely hot beating them early in the day to advance to CWS.

Actually I had to miss the regional with Barry Larkin playing.

We've had so many great regional moments, but the Burke Master's grand slam in the top of the 9th and beating a #1 Fsu team has to be the top.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    For you history buffs. My 1st memories of The Dude goes back to us winning our regional and I think it was against WA. I remember one of our players climbing up the left field foul post celebrating. Was that Jody Hurst? I also remember beating MI to go to Omaha. They had Barry Larkin and we was bad ass throughout the tournament. Think they had Sabo on that team too. Anybody remember what years those were?

If it was Jody it was 89 and we beat UNC.

If it was Washington, that was 1997.

Larkin was on the 85 team we beat in Starkville

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    If it was Jody it was 89 and we beat UNC.

If it was Washington, that was 1997.

Larkin was on the 85 team we beat in Starkville
    We lost the 89 regional, UNC beat us in a double header to advance to CWS. We were #1 and Teaxas A&M was ranked two and neither made it to CWS. Probably biggest disappointment in Msu baseball history with loaded team of talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    We lost the 89 regional, UNC beat us in a double header to advance to CWS. We were #1 and Teaxas A&M was ranked two and neither made it to CWS. Probably biggest disappointment in Msu baseball history with loaded team of talent.
    Whoops duh. Ok I meant couldn't of been Jody. played in 88 and 89.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Those 70 and 71 teams were loaded with as much talent as any Msu teams ever had. Back in the "grandpa days", the 71 team got screwed by some crazy Ncaa rule that didn't allow us to play several starters in the regional tournament. That team was as good as any in the country back then. I finished in 73', you guys should have seen "leftfield lounge" in the beginning! Paul Gregory was the Coach and was known as a Gentleman. His assistant was Tom D'Armi, was known as a great recruiter and talked about the New York Yankees all the time!

Just saying.
    Those teams were great. But I'd have to say the '85 squad had the most talent by far, than any other MSU team.
    Jeff Brantley
    Bobby Thigpen
    Will Clark
    Rafael Palmeiro
    And a host of other really good players who did not make the Big Leagues, including:
    Dan Van Cleve
    Gator Thiesen
    John Mitchell
    Gene Morgan
    Ray Mullino
    Steven King
    Trent Intorcia

4 MLB All-Stars of the 9 starters. Almost assuredly the most talented college team of all time...not just MSU.
    Last edited by blacklistedbully; 05-08-2017 at 12:47 PM.