Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open letter to the baseball team

vCash

Open letter to the baseball team

To the Diamond Dawgs: Week in and week out, time and time again, this team continues to remind me of why I will always and forever support the Bulldogs.

In the waning moments of these games, when it appears to all that every ounce of talent has been utilized, and when every bit of strength has been exhausted, your coaches and your fans ask you for more... just a little more. Somehow, someway, you deliver. It may not be in this pitch, but the next. It may not be this bat, but the next. At times it is enough and others it is not, yet you always give more when asked. Always.

We as fans, love you so much sometimes words cannot express it. We're greedy. We're fickle. When you excel, we laud you with praise but admonish you at the smallest of mistakes. Through it all, over and over, you patiently stride to the plate or quietly jog to the field to do your duty; Playing this game that you love and that we love to watch you play.

In the coming weeks, you have the opportunity to do something that no Mississippi State baseball team has ever done before. That seems to be a reoccurring theme with this ballclub and this school. You are doing things that are being said cannot be done, even by us - the fans. You turn a deaf ear to us all and prove us wrong game after game; all the while doing so with humble grace and poise accompanied by a quick smirk and a knowing wink. It's okay for the fans to doubt us, you say, but we'll never doubt ourselves.

This season has been nothing short of amazing and there is more to come. The coaching, the players, the staff... Everyone on this team is special and has made a major contribution to its current success. But... what is past is prologue. Some say it can't be done. You've done it all season. Prove us wrong again. Go get the SEC Championship.

Time to put some Dawg in'em. Hail State.

vCash
    Excellent Saint Dawg, I sure couldn't have said it better. But you related my (and I'm sure many others) feelings about this team, I'm so proud of these guys. In all my years (many) of being a MSU fan I don't remember any other team that played harder.
    Thanks Saint Dawg and thanks Bulldog Baseball team!
    Hail State!

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintDawg View Post
    To the Diamond Dawgs: Week in and week out, time and time again, this team continues to remind me of why I will always and forever support the Bulldogs.

In the waning moments of these games, when it appears to all that every ounce of talent has been utilized, and when every bit of strength has been exhausted, your coaches and your fans ask you for more... just a little more. Somehow, someway, you deliver. It may not be in this pitch, but the next. It may not be this bat, but the next. At times it is enough and others it is not, yet you always give more when asked. Always.

We as fans, love you so much sometimes words cannot express it. We're greedy. We're fickle. When you excel, we laud you with praise but admonish you at the smallest of mistakes. Through it all, over and over, you patiently stride to the plate or quietly jog to the field to do your duty; Playing this game that you love and that we love to watch you play.

In the coming weeks, you have the opportunity to do something that no Mississippi State baseball team has ever done before. That seems to be a reoccurring theme with this ballclub and this school. You are doing things that are being said cannot be done, even by us - the fans. You turn a deaf ear to us all and prove us wrong game after game; all the while doing so with humble grace and poise accompanied by a quick smirk and a knowing wink. It's okay for the fans to doubt us, you say, but we'll never doubt ourselves.

This season has been nothing short of amazing and there is more to come. The coaching, the players, the staff... Everyone on this team is special and has made a major contribution to its current success. But... what is past is prologue. Some say it can't be done. You've done it all season. Prove us wrong again. Go get the SEC Championship.

One of the best posts I've ever read here. One for the archives.

vCash
    Hail yeah.

vCash
    Outstanding! These are the type posts and the attitude that I come here to see!
    The first sentence sums up the spirit of true Bulldogs . The rest is spot on, but the onions make it hard to read. Ha!
    HAILSTATE!!

vCash
    Well said, Sir.

Being a MSU fan and seeing another one of our underdog teams rise up and prove that mental makeup and heart are just as important to success as physical talent, brings so much pride to our fans. This team in many ways epitomizes our fanbase.....keep counting us out, and we'll keep outworking you and see you at the top.

I know we all get into these games so much, but I hope everyone will take the time to step back and enjoy just what this team is doing. SaintDawg said it beautifully, and these boys and coaches don't appear to be done yet. Hail State

vCash
    Great post! Very well said!

vCash
    These young men are an inspiration. It never ceases to amaze me how a group so young can be so selfless and give so much of themselves. You can't coach that. It's something you're born with.

vCash

Absolutely well said, very proud to call you our team, you represent this University so well. Don't know where we will finish but you've already finished 1st in our hearts, love the fight and never say never attitude.

vCash
    While I appreciate the sentiment, and agree with what you're saying...

vCash

WOW! Extremely well said!

HailState!

Denver Airport Director
    vCash

Insert slow clapping guy here

vCash
    Guess I'm more of an, "Atta-boy, slap-'em-on-the-ass and buy-'em-a-beer" kind of guy.

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    Chills!!!
    Romans 5:8

vCash

Great post but

what do you mean by 'something no other bulldog baseball team has done before?'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    what do you mean by 'something no other bulldog baseball team has done before?'
    Winning the SEC regular season championship in back to back seasons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsCoach21 View Post
    Winning the SEC regular season championship in back to back seasons.
    We've actually done that three times in school history. 1948-49, 1965- 1966, and 1970-1971. ESPN/SEC Network for some reason has been putting out that we've never done it and they're wrong. I even tweeted Ben McDonald about it and he told me that was what was in the notes ESPN gave them. I don't know how they screwed this one up since literally half of our SEC Titles were back to back.

The only things that we could do that we've never done before in school history is win 20 SEC games in back to back seasons and be a National Seed in back to back seasons. At this point we have a chance to do those things still. We'll see if those things happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    We've actually done that three times in school history. 1948-49, 1965- 1966, and 1970-1971. ESPN/SEC Network for some reason has been putting out that we've never done it and they're wrong. I even tweeted Ben McDonald about it and he told me that was what was in the notes ESPN gave them. I don't know how they screwed this one up since literally half of our SEC Titles were back to back.

The only things that we could do that we've never done before in school history is win 20 SEC games in back to back seasons and be a National Seed in back to back seasons. At this point we have a chance to do those things still. We'll see if those things happen.
    Those 70 and 71 teams were loaded with as much talent as any Msu teams ever had. Back in the "grandpa days", the 71 team got screwed by some crazy Ncaa rule that didn't allow us to play several starters in the regional tournament. That team was as good as any in the country back then. I finished in 73', you guys should have seen "leftfield lounge" in the beginning! Paul Gregory was the Coach and was known as a Gentleman. His assistant was Tom D'Armi, was known as a great recruiter and talked about the New York Yankees all the time!

Just saying.

vCash
    basedog, I was a freshman in '73 and I remember LFL, fun days.

Banned
    vCash
    For you history buffs. My 1st memories of The Dude goes back to us winning our regional and I think it was against WA. I remember one of our players climbing up the left field foul post celebrating. Was that Jody Hurst? I also remember beating MI to go to Omaha. They had Barry Larkin and we was bad ass throughout the tournament. Think they had Sabo on that team too. Anybody remember what years those were?